PDA

View Full Version : BC Automotive Stage 4 transmission

merc
10-17-2007, 11:20 AM
I pulled the trigger today and purchased a BC Automotive Stage 4 transmission. I have be pondering what to do with my slipping transmission after it partially failed during Marauderville 5 in the first round of eliminations. In the last month I must have talked to 10 shops and a few mechanics about our ADOE/4R70W transmissions. It seems that Boger Wager (Ford OEM Parts vendor) clutches is the way to go for replacement vs Alto and other brands. As far as overhaul kits were concerned Lentech has a great reputation for quality parts and performance, but pricy for my needs. The Transmission center (http://www.transmissioncenter.net/aod.htm) has some useful parts but finding someone to custom build your transmission the way you what was tricky. Most shops in my area wanted to build from known configurations, meaning they wanted to build it the way they preferred using your money. In most cases shop owners used heavy handed tactics and offered examples of horror stories to sell you their product. This was not the case with Darrin of BC Automotive. I would compare my experiences with Darrin like Todd of TCE. They are both a wealth of knowledge and willing answer the phone 9 times out of 10. Communications electronically and verbally are never a problem you don't fell like a idiot because you asked a dumb question. Hopefully I will receive the new transmission in time for SSHS7 in November. Darrin is doing his best to meet my schedule. For those in the market for a performance transmission, shop around like I did then give Darrin a call.

Breadfan
10-17-2007, 11:25 AM
Mark, glad you are getting your transmission issues worked out and thanks for the heads up on your experience with BCA compared to some other places

Zack
10-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Mark, you will NOT be disappointed.
Darrin is a class act.

merc
10-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Mark, you will NOT be disappointed.
Darrin is a class act.

That's exactly my thoughts also.

Mark, glad you are getting your transmission issues worked out and thanks for the heads up on your experience with BCA compared to some other places

ATS transmission "Call me back tomorrow and I will figure out a price for you" All I wanted is a Transmission install. How complicated could that be.

Brisco transmission "You know.. I don't have the time for this, what's your number and I will call you later".
7 days later he never call or returned my messages. All I wanted to know is my options for repair or upgrade.

This list goes on

rvaldez1
10-17-2007, 01:27 PM
That's exactly my thoughts also.

ATS transmission "Call me back tomorrow and I will figure out a price for you" All I wanted is a Transmission install. How complicated could that be.

Brisco transmission "You know.. I don't have the time for this, what's your number and I will call you later".
7 days later he never call or returned my messages. All I wanted to know is my options for repair or upgrade.

This list goes on

Amazing how some buisness owners think we need them more than they need us. Ridiculous.

Marauderjack
10-17-2007, 01:39 PM
I pulled the trigger today and purchased a BC Automotive Stage 4 transmission. I have be pondering what to do with my slipping transmission after it partially failed during Marauderville 5 in the first round of eliminations. In the last month I must have talked to 10 shops and a few mechanics about our ADOE/4R70W transmissions. It seems that Boger Wager (Ford OEM Parts vendor) clutches is the way to go for replacement vs Alto and other brands. As far as overhaul kits were concerned Lentech has a great reputation for quality parts and performance, but pricy for my needs. The Transmission center (http://www.transmissioncenter.net/aod.htm) has some useful parts but finding someone to custom build your transmission the way you what was tricky. Most shops in my area wanted to build from known configurations, meaning they wanted to build it the way they preferred using your money. In most cases shop owners used heavy handed tactics and offered examples of horror stories to sell you their product. This was not the case with Darrin of BC Automotive. I would compare my experiences with Darrin like Todd of TCE. They are both a wealth of knowledge and willing answer the phone 9 times out of 10. Communications electronically and verbally are never a problem you don't fell like a idiot because you asked a dumb question. Hopefully I will receive the new transmission in time for SSHS7 in November. Darrin is doing his best to meet my schedule. For those in the market for a performance transmission shop around like I did then give Darrin a call.

Is he rebuilding yours or starting with a new transmission??:confused:

merc
10-17-2007, 01:43 PM
This is a new or re-manufactured transmission he is sending me with all the upgrades and I return the old transmission (Core). The shipping price is $200 one-way and he (Darrin) picks up the return cost of the core.

Zack
10-17-2007, 01:52 PM
This is a new or re-manufactured transmission he is sending me with all the upgades and I return the old transmission (Core). The shipping price is $200 one-way and he (Darrin) picks up the return cost of the core.

If the trans is not done in time, I will pick it up on the way down to SSHS7 and save you the $$$$$

merc
10-17-2007, 01:54 PM
If the trans is not done in time, I will pick it up on the way down to SSHS7 and save you the $$$$$

I can't argue with that service. :banana2:

MarauderTJA
10-17-2007, 02:16 PM
I am extremely pleased with my BC Auto Transmission and converter. Nothing but kudos to Darrin for his personal assistance and service for my car.:up:

FordNut
10-17-2007, 04:10 PM
I have a Lentech. It was expensive. They have some nice upgrades available for internal strengthening. But they can't help at all when it comes to computer control parameters and such.

I talked to Darrin at BC, he was very helpful and full of information. Next time I need tranny work, he'll be the one doing it.

MarauderMark
10-18-2007, 05:09 AM
Hope this one works out for ya budd:up:

ts-pa
10-18-2007, 09:27 AM
What factors made you chose "stage 4" vs "stage 3"?

merc
10-18-2007, 10:19 AM
What factors made you chose "stage 4" vs "stage 3"?

Super-Size overdrive servo. This servo has a 3 inch piston making it 15% larger than the "A" servo.

Extreme Duty hard intermediate shaft

BC Automotive 3500 stall Torque Convertor

New Borg Warner Low / Reverse Band

2-3 Accumulator Springs

Carbon Fiber overdrive band.

Midshaft 26 spline

Six clutch stamped steel direct drum

Spiral "Plus" Ring Kit

BC Automotive Custom Valuebody

and a tons of custom parts that BC puts into there product.

ts-pa
10-18-2007, 10:33 AM
Merc,

Thanks for the info.

Darrin....
I have read somewhere that there are different spline counts on the item that engages the TC. Am I mistaken?
I now have a PI TC, would this work with the Stage 4 trans?

Marauderjack
10-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Is he rebuilding yours or starting with a new transmission??:confused:

The reason I asked this is if you are putting that kind of money into a "used" trans wouldn't it make sense to start with a new one??:confused:

After all the gears and other components wear out as well....or are they replaced too and basically all that is reused is the case??:cool:

Marauderjack:confused:

MarauderTJA
10-18-2007, 02:29 PM
The reason I asked this is if you are putting that kind of money into a "used" trans wouldn't it make sense to start with a new one??:confused:

After all the gears and other components wear out as well....or are they replaced too and basically all that is reused is the case??:cool:

Marauderjack:confused:

What was done with my tranny is he used the casing of another 4R75W (o4 Marauder tranny) as a core and replaced all internal parts with the parts Merc outlined. He shipped my new tranny and after removing my orginial I shipped it back to him.

MarauderSM
10-19-2007, 01:39 PM
How much is the stage 4 rated for. You guys love your power.

merc
10-19-2007, 02:20 PM
How much is the stage 4 rated for. You guys love your power.

MarauderTJA's car I am told is in the 700 rwhp range. My new engine has not been installed but Sherman has the exact setup and he is going on the Dyno Saturday at Springfield Motorsports at 1:00 P.M. I estimate 500-550 to the rear with 17lbs of boost. The Stage 4 Transmission should be able to handle any Marauder high powered setup. You might want to call Darrin about the ratings.

MarauderSM
10-19-2007, 04:30 PM
700rwhp is plenty enough. I know who will have my business.

MarauderTJA
10-19-2007, 04:44 PM
MarauderTJA's car I am told is in the 700 rwhp range. My new engine has not been installed but Sherman has the exact setup and he is going on the Dyno Saturday at Springfield Motorsports at 1:00 P.M. I estimate 500-550 to the rear with 17lbs of boost. The Stage 4 Transmission should be able to handle any Marauder high powered setup. You might want to call Darrin about the ratings.

Your right Merc, the 700 RWHP is with the C-16 race tune and a 100 shot. Darrin built my transmission to handle up to 800 RHWP. Transmission is seriously stout and the way to go as you said in a Marauder high horsepower application.

MarauderSM
10-19-2007, 05:51 PM
I wonder who will try and break it.

Darrin must be very knowlegdeable with this trans.

How are the shifts?

MarauderTJA
10-19-2007, 07:41 PM
Firm but not harsh by any means. I do notice when it downshifts, (sometimes) it is a little hard. Not all the time, mostly when I have to come to a stop quickly. I talked to Darrin about this and he said it is common due to the built components. I'll find out how it does in a couple of weeks in Atlanta.

Darrin
10-22-2007, 12:03 PM
The input shaft spline count is the same for the AODE, 4R70 and 4R75 family transmissions in stock form. And, the same on things that I build.

So, a PI converter will slide right on and work the same on any of those transmissions.

Darrin

Zack
10-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Hey Darrin, your trans perfored flawlessly at the track this weekend.
11.79 on pump gas!

rumble
10-22-2007, 02:50 PM
I pulled the trigger today and purchased a BC Automotive Stage 4 transmission. I have be pondering what to do with my slipping transmission after it partially failed during Marauderville 5 in the first round of eliminations. In the last month I must have talked to 10 shops and a few mechanics about our ADOE/4R70W transmissions. It seems that Boger Wager (Ford OEM Parts vendor) clutches is the way to go for replacement vs Alto and other brands. As far as overhaul kits were concerned Lentech has a great reputation for quality parts and performance, but pricy for my needs. The Transmission center (http://www.transmissioncenter.net/aod.htm) has some useful parts but finding someone to custom build your transmission the way you what was tricky. Most shops in my area wanted to build from known configurations, meaning they wanted to build it the way they preferred using your money. In most cases shop owners used heavy handed tactics and offered examples of horror stories to sell you their product. This was not the case with Darrin of BC Automotive. I would compare my experiences with Darrin like Todd of TCE. They are both a wealth of knowledge and willing answer the phone 9 times out of 10. Communications electronically and verbally are never a problem you don't fell like a idiot because you asked a dumb question. Hopefully I will receive the new transmission in time for SSHS7 in November. Darrin is doing his best to meet my schedule. For those in the market for a performance transmission, shop around like I did then give Darrin a call.

That's where mine came from. The Transmission center (http://www.transmissioncenter.net/aod.htm)
Tell me more about your Torque Convertor. I re-used my stock one and that's a mistake. Thought I could save a buck but alas, twas not to be.

merc
10-22-2007, 06:13 PM
That's where mine came from. The Transmission center (http://www.transmissioncenter.net/aod.htm)
Tell me more about your Torque Convertor. I re-used my stock one and that's a mistake. Thought I could save a buck but alas, twas not to be.

I am not a converter guru, but I have had educational conversations with a ton of people on this subject in the last 30 days. The PI single plate converter has been the choice for Marauder owners for the last 4 years. There are others that have installed B&M, TCE, and Lentech units. I can’t recall anyone complaining about his or her purchase except for the triple plate PI owners. Darrin used Dirty Dog converters at one time but moved on to a company that has gained his respect and meets his expectation of performance. The torque converter is the single most expensive component in a transmission upgrade. Having a transmission run right is a thing of beauty on the track. Most people purchase a power adder then buy the brake upgrade to stop the beast. Built transmission upgrades are often overlooked until something is broken. On the track, drive train components fail more the engines. If we keep our cars long enough we will have the transmission repaired 2 to 3 times before a new motor is replaced. If I were you I would start a new thread upgrades. This would be a good topic of conversation for everyone, N/A and Supercharged.
:beer:

I took my own suggestion and started a new thread

2ndMDRebel
10-24-2007, 07:06 PM
How does this trans compare to the "Art Carr Level 2" upgrade that is commonly used. Also, does the BC trans have a manual first gear? My Art Carr internals trans doesnt allow first gear when selected mannually.

Zack
10-24-2007, 07:08 PM
How does this trans compare to the "Art Carr Level 2" upgrade that is commonly used. Also, does the BC trans have a manual first gear? My Art Carr internals trans doesnt allow first gear when selected mannually.

If that is the case, your linkage is out of adjustment.

merc
10-24-2007, 07:20 PM

Looking at Art Carr's website I don't see a reference to Level II. I believe this is something that Dennis has labeled. So I will have to yield to his input on the subject of included modification before I can my compassions.

2ndMDRebel
10-30-2007, 05:08 PM
If that is the case, your linkage is out of adjustment.

Actually we put the car on a lift and disconnected the shifter linkage and manually put the selector lever in the 1st gear position and it just wasn't there, still only 2nd gear. I only had 1st gear when in drive, what I had to do (when I used to manually shift at the track) was launch in drive, wait until it shifted then pulled it down to 2nd and then slid it back to drive when I wanted it to upshift into 3rd.

MarauderSM
11-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Is there a way to just shift the tranny manually at all times?

Will it burn up the trans internal parts faster?

Darrin
11-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Is there a way to just shift the tranny manually at all times?

Will it burn up the trans internal parts faster?
Manual shifting uses different components and I really don't suggest it. These weren't designed for that as a normal driving type of thing is basically what it comes down to.

Now, you can get a full manual valve body, but you would have to have your car reprogrammed to eliminate the transmission functions that the computer will want to control.

Darrin

Tony_the_Brit
11-11-2007, 10:10 AM
I have a BC Automotive transmission in my CV Sport as well as a TC from him. One of the great things about dealing with Darrin is that he will tailor your tranny or valve body to suit the way you want your car to shift.

If you want to know how his stuff performs just check out my 1/4 mile times. Remember - this is a 2v CV with only bolt-on mods. Darrin's tranny & TC dropped my ET from 14.8 to 14.2!

ts-pa
11-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Darrin's tranny & TC dropped my ET from 14.8 to 14.2!

Could this .6 improvement be just from getting a TC change?

merc
11-12-2007, 06:10 AM

Yep. The other drive line stuff will improve transmission life and endurance.

Darrin
11-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Yes, I would say so. It's no secret that those big gains are almost always from the right converter.

But people need to keep a whole lot more in mind here than where that actual performance gain came from and I think we need to discuss this even though you probably had something far diffferent in mind when you asked this question. This all leads to something bigger when it comes to these particuar parts and we need to make sure people are thinking about wise decisions and not just the apparent bang for the buck.

Transmission are really foreign to a lot of people. They don't understand that because of the nature of the fluid system involved that a failure in any part creates the absolute need to go through and clean or replace all the rest of it. So with a car where you have added an expensive part like a torque converter to give you performance, there are other things to keep in mind. Things that can cost you a ton more money in the end if things go wrong.

Lets say you purchase and install a good performance torque converter to make your car faster. And trust me, when you get the right product that is suited to your needs here then it will definitely do that. With all that new found performance you also get a lot of extra stress on everything behind it in the driveline. This can, and usually eventually will, break or burn up something and usually it's in the transmission. It might happen immediately, in a few months, within a year or even a few years from now. Or it might not happen at all. Nobody can predict this for sure until whatever happens, happens. But just imagine having put all that money into a converter and installation only to tear up the transmission a short while down the road. This is when most people learn what I just said above about how a transmission failure absolutely means that the torque converter has to be rebuilt or replaced and that there is no way around it. Now you not only have to pay to have the transmission built, but you have to send the torque converter back to its builder to have it gone though and they are not going to do that for free. You also have to deal with having the car down while all this goes on. If the car is a daily driver then what usually ends up happening is you have to find a quick option and that may put you in a worse place than you started originally.

I am not saying that this will happen in every case, but it happens more than you think and I see it a whole lot. I get a lot of customers this way and I really hate having the conversation on how they are going to have to go through all this extra trouble and expense. So my advice is that unless you like to gamble on your investments and you are looking to get a converter that will provide the performance you are after then you should at least think about upgrading the transmission to protect the investment you have made. Some people do like to gamble on things and that's ok. A lot of times these people also like to talk about their success and that's fine too. I just want to make sure that everyone else has a grasp of the reality of how that gamble can cost you when you wind up on the losing end of it. Know the possibility up front.

Factory parts are designed for their intended applications and will only take extra stress placed on them for so long. There will always be exceptions to the norm where a stock part will handle more than it should and therefore you will always have some person that owns that part or people that have heard about it saying that you just need to do this much, can get by with that or don't need to do the other at all. Some transmissions honestly will survive in conditions that you would never suspect them to and others will fail in far lesser conditions with equal surprise. The problem with this is there is really no way of knowing how much is too much with your own particular parts until you get there. At that point it's too late. I wish there was a way to know what the parts in each and every car will handle beforehand, but that just isn't possible.

To me, it's important to plan wisely from the start on all your performance modifications and choose all the proper parts to provide for where you want to end up. This means not just getting the part that will give you that performance, but looking at all the related parts and planning accordingly to make sure they will hold up to the strains that will be put on them.

I can hook you up with several people that went through a very expensive cycle of unfortunate choices and I bet there might even be a few on here that will chime in with their own experiences. Trust me, it sucks to be in the position of having spent a couple times the amount that you really needed to, have had to hassle with the trouble and expense of having your vehicle down for extended periods and then sometimes still not ending up with the products that you could have had if different choices had been made.

To sum it up, a built transmission isn't something you should purchase with the intent of it providing a huge performance increase. The reason you need one is to make sure that you can keep on enjoying your car after you add the parts that actually will get you the performance that you are after. Choosing to just install a performance part like a torque converter that can get ruined by not going the extra of geting a transmission that can handle it is a risk. It's up to the person spending the money to decide how much they want to risk and nobody can honestly tell them how it will turn out no matter which way they go.

My advice is to save up and get a complete package that is actually designed for your needs and will hold up to what you will be asking of it. With that, you will be getting peace of mind and protection in the event that something does go wrong. I don't care if you get it from me or elsewhere, just please do your homework and try to make the most wise choices possible.

It goes back to the old saying of 'Do it once. Do it right'.

Darrin

Zack
11-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Great post Darrin.
Wish I did it right years ago. My wallet has suffered due to MANY shortcuts.

sailsmen
11-12-2007, 12:36 PM
When I had my TQ upgraded I went w/ the built trans for a reasonable add't costs.

70K and 140+ runs down the track latter and no probs.:D

ts-pa
11-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Darrin's response above sounds way too much like my situation.:eek:
Just placed an order. Looking forward to not slipping down the road anymore!

merc
11-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Darrin's response above sounds way too much like my situation.:eek:
Just placed an order. Looking forward to not slipping down the road anymore!

Good move ts-pa. Hope to see ya at the C.A.M. meet

sailsmen
11-12-2007, 02:02 PM
When I replaced mine a number of people including 2 vendors said it was not necessary. One vendor said it was throwing money away.

My response was I drive 20K per year in sales including areas in the middle of no where. 2 trans failed in our E150 that my wife drives only hauling around 2 small children.

I could'nt afford a trans failure.

ts-pa
11-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Merc, If you are talking about the Sat, 17th, I will be there!

ts-pa
11-12-2007, 02:08 PM
I was told by Ford mechanics at two different dealerships that my trans was fine. Now, this was while under warranty;) It slipped when it downshift hard to pass someone. They never drove it like that during the test drive.
I was hoping to hold off until next year, but....
Now that I have the DOHC in place, the slipping is getting worse. Not a good sign at all. I feel safe driving it, but not getting on the pedal hard.
I want to replace it so that I KNOW it is in good shape and that it will handle a power adder in the future:)

merc
11-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Merc, If you are talking about the Sat, 17th, I will be there!

Yep that's what I am talking about.

ts-pa
11-13-2007, 06:17 AM
My response was I drive 20K per year in sales including areas in the middle of no where. 2 trans failed in our E150 that my wife drives only hauling around 2 small children.

I could'nt afford a trans failure.

Money well spent if comes to make the vehicle more reliable. Especially with very important "cargo" as that!

ts-pa
11-13-2007, 06:20 AM
Yep that's what I am talking about.

Looking forward to meeting you and the others. Finally able to meet face to face.

ts-pa
11-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Well, today my trans situation has changed to the better...
From slipping to shipping! Darrin just sent mine out, should arrive Friday.

ts-pa
11-27-2007, 09:32 PM
I was having long delayed shifts, hunting for which gear to be in and noticeable slipping as I was accelerating. The car always seemed to have the slipping while hard accelerating issue since I bought it with 12k miles. Since it worked fine otherwise, I just overlooked the problem. I maintained it with fluid changes at 30k miles.

If I kept the original engine in place, this might not have become a major issue so soon. The DOHC seemed to cause the slipping while accelerating to become much worse.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/ /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p]</o:p>
<font color=" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

While meeting up with MM.net member MM-BKK to record his exhaust video, I noticed how well his car drove and specifically how well it shifted. Around the same time, I came across other peoples trans swap threads. This caused me to consider that my current drivability problems could very well be with my trans, and not the engine or the tune from Dennis.
I had my choices of vendors narrowed down to four, Darrin being one of them. Glad to have chosen him as he explained a few of the differences of his build vs. others. I would not have been happy with the other vendor's builds. If you need a trans, I would recommend that you get in contact with Darrin!
After a few phone calls & PM’s, Darrin provided me with the best 4r70w that he builds.
I was concerned that I might not really need to do this repair, but the car definately needed it. The trans fluid was a reddish brown color when it was drained. This is only after about 4k miles on new fluid!<o:p></o:p>

It is installed now & I only drove it about 20 miles so far in mixed city/highway driving.<o:p></o:p>
Well, it shifts pretty quickly, more like a switches gears with almost no perceivable delay. :banana:[I]The shifts are in an instant and I love it! :banana2:

Nowhere near as hard shifting as I thought that it would be. Very sedate shifting as a matter of fact. Now, this is with mild acceleration as I was driving in commuter traffic on a mixed city & highway road in the rain. Even the downshift was milder than what I was expecting. It is definitely there, but in my view, very mild at 30 to 20 mph when it occurs. <o:p></o:p>

Darrin settled my concerns by explaining about the milder shifts won't hurt a thing. It’s just not banging the finish pressure on the shift. The fact that the shift is instant is what is important. If you want to firm it up then go at that with line pressure in the tune.<o:p></o:p>

Darrin did some things that might make this transmission shift fairly mild at part throttle and on the coast downs because he noticed that I seemed to have concerns over this. So this is good news that it is behaving like he built it to. <o:p></o:p>
I would like to comment that Darrin indeed does listen when you speak with him!
Don’t know if this is because I wanted to feel this way, but the butt meter says that the car accelerates faster now. I’m thinking that the trans was slipping quite a bit more than what I had previously perceived.

There seems to be "slipping" as it engages the OD, the dreaded "flare" that we read about occasionally. It sounds like the engine revs just a little higher for a very short time before engaging while shifting into the OD. Darrin explained that this is just how it is with these trans. He could have reduced the flare a little at the risk of breaking things, just not worth it. He assured me that this is normal and shouldn’t damage anything.<o:p></o:p>

I won't change a thing since this set up won't hurt anything. This should keep that passenger seat quiet (my wife);).<o:p></o:p>
She already dislikes how “noisy” the car is now since being altered with the DOHC engine. Imagine how mad she might become if the trans would bang while shifting also!
I still need to go full throttle, without my wife of course, and let you know how it feels then. I’m waiting on a few parts that I want to install before I go back on the road with it.

Darrin, please feel free to comment on any corrections if you see any need for it.

merc
11-27-2007, 09:43 PM
Glad to hear the good news. :banana2:

ts-pa
11-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Hey Mark, how is your trans doing? Did you get the shifting as you like it yet?

merc
11-28-2007, 04:10 AM
Hey Mark, how is your trans doing? Did you get the shifting as you like it yet?

Have not drove the car since the last meeting. Hope to have the car on the dyno in the first month of 08. I will address the shift points and other software adjustments then. The transmission runs great.:)

ts-pa
11-28-2007, 06:07 AM
Have not drove the car since the last meeting. Hope to have the car on the dyno in the first month of 08. I will address the shift points and other software adjustments then. The transmission runs great.:)

I hope that the results are good for you! Glad to hear that the trans is good also.

ts-pa
11-29-2007, 10:10 PM
I was having long delayed shifts, hunting for which gear to be in and noticeable slipping as I was accelerating.....<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[IMG]http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/ /><o:p></o:p>
<font color=" /><o:p]< o:p><FONT color=#0000c0 #333333?><FONT face="Trebuchet MS"><FONT color=#333333><FONT face="Trebuchet MS">While meeting up with MM.net member MM-BKK to record his exhaust video, I noticed how well his car drove and specifically how well it shifted. Around the same time, I came across other peoples trans swap threads. This caused me to consider that my current drivability problems could very well be with my trans, and not the engine or the tune from Dennis.<FONT face="Trebuchet MS">

I wanted to be clear on my comments so that no one misreads them: I was not sure of what a car with a higher stall converter drives like when I had my car altered. I was concerned at one point that something may have been amiss with Dennis' tune. I did not push the issue with him to change anything specific, since I had a nagging feeling that the trans was where all of my drivability problems lie.

<FONT color=#333333><FONT face="Trebuchet MS">I was concerned that I might not really need to do this repair, but the car definately needed it. The trans fluid was a reddish brown color when it was drained. This is only after about 4k miles on new fluid!<FONT face=Verdana>
<FONT color=#333333><FONT face=Verdana>

<FONT face="Trebuchet MS">The car always seemed to have the slipping while hard accelerating issue since I bought it with 12k miles. Since it worked fine otherwise, I just overlooked the problem.

<FONT color=#333333><FONT face=Verdana>As you can see by the conditions, the trans had overheated from slipping. Not from anything from Dennis' tune or installation, but from my heavy right foot and ignoring the problem from the beginning.

<FONT color=#333333><FONT face="Trebuchet MS">It is installed now & I only drove it about 20 miles so far in mixed city/highway driving.<o:p></o:p>
<FONT color=#333333><FONT face="Trebuchet MS"><o:p></o:p>
<FONT color=#333333><FONT face="Trebuchet MS">Well, it shifts pretty quickly, more like a switches gears with almost no perceivable delay. :banana:<FONT size=4>The shifts are in an instant and I love it! :banana2:

<FONT color=#333333><FONT face="Trebuchet MS">Nowhere near as hard shifting as I thought that it would be. Very sedate shifting as a matter of fact.. ...Even the downshift was milder than what I was expecting. It is definitely there, but in my view, very mild at 30 to 20 mph when it occurs.....<FONT face=Verdana>

<FONT face="Trebuchet MS">Don’t know if this is because I wanted to feel this way, but the butt meter says that the car accelerates faster now. I’m thinking that the trans was slipping quite a bit more than what I had previously perceived.... <FONT face=Verdana>

This very short trip confirmed my suspicion that the trans was the problem all along. I used the same tune, the only thing that changed was the trans.

<FONT face="Trebuchet MS"><FONT color=#333333><FONT face=Verdana>
...(My wife)<FONT color=#333333><FONT face="Trebuchet MS"> already dislikes how “noisy” the car is now since being altered with the DOHC engine. Imagine how mad she might become if the trans would bang while shifting also! <FONT face=Verdana>
<FONT face="Trebuchet MS">
This is not a slam on my current exhaust setup from Dennis. My wife just loved how quiet the GM was originally.
<FONT face="Trebuchet MS">
<FONT color=#333333><FONT face="Trebuchet MS"><FONT face=Verdana>
I still need to go full throttle, without my wife of course, and let you know how it feels then. I’m waiting on a few parts that I want to install before I go back on the road with it.

I'm a fool for not getting the trans cooler ahead of time. I didn't know that this was required when a trans fails. The cooler is one of the parts that I'm waiting on at the moment. I'm also going to get a power flush done ASAP just to put my mind at ease.

</o:p]<>

ts-pa
11-30-2007, 09:42 PM
OK, another update...

I found out that Ford requires the replacement of transmission cooler when a trans fails. Tran’s failure is not only where operation is inhibited, but also described as anytime particles of clutch material or particles of metal are found, or discolored fluid indicating scorched clutch materials. The reason is that the 170 deg. Flow Control Valve prevents proper flushing of the cooler.
Give Ray, "The Dealer", a call for a decent price on this item.

See these pics, numbered 31 through 35, for details.
http://pix.myphotoalbum.com/p/pa/pas/pas...ELLED.sized.jpg (http://pix.myphotoalbum.com/p/pa/pas/pasi/pasig/pasig/albums/album08/FULL_VIEW_BACKSIDE_LABELLED.si zed.jpg)

The current cooler part number is YW1H-3F479-AC, previously YW1H-3F479-AA & YW1H-3F479-AB. The replacement appears to be very easy. I will swap it tomorrow morning.

Also learned from Darrin...Do not ever put anything into a Torque Converter other than Mercon V in efforts to clean it! For example, Safety-clean or Brake Cleaner, these will dissolve the glue backing from the Lock Up Clutch material. In addition, these fluids are NOT compatible with Mercon V. When you run the transmission, the fluid and particles will foul up your new trans. Fortunately, my mechanics did not do this. The proper way to clean a TC is to have it machine flushed at a dealer or send it to mfg. to be cut open for service.

The main lessons that I learned from this is to always replace the cooler at the same time as the rebuilt trans is put into service. Also, replace the torque Converter or have it properly flushed if you intend to re-use it. Otherwise, you may risk potential contamination of the clean trans. This is where the application of the Magnafine filter is being used to try to alleviate said contamination.

I hope that this info will help others when they face a trans repair. Darrin has been extremely patient and helpful with his knowledge & experience. I highly recommend that you contact him with your specific trans needs.
http://www.bc-automotive.com/html/contact_us.html (http://www.bc-automotive.com/html/contact_us.html)

I will also post this tip in the Transmission section.

Will do part throttle & WOT update in near future.

ts-pa
12-14-2007, 10:11 PM
OK, "Part Throttle" update...

Well at part throttle, the trans shifts ever so slightly firmer than with light throttle. I'm pretty sure some here would say "too soft" as it seems to be very similar to stock in regards to firmness of the shifts. The 4-2 down shift on the other hand is pretty firm.

Goes through the gears with a higher mph before proceeding than the light throttle would do, but still with very quick shifting. The highest that I held onto 1st gear so far was about 40mph. You can control when shifting occurs just by how you control the throttle. If you go gently, it shifts very quickly throught the gears. Even as low as 45 mph, with gentle acceleration, you almost feel as if your racing to get there. Very nice setup! :up:

jspace03
01-28-2008, 07:45 AM
hey can anyone give me darrins number so i can call him about a trans

ts-pa
01-28-2008, 07:51 AM
hey can anyone give me darrins number so i can call him about a trans

From the man himself...

I can help you guys out if you need one. Give me a call at 317-514-0816 if you need anything.

Thanks much
Darrin

magindat
01-28-2008, 09:07 AM
While I do not own a BC trans, I definately went the way Darrin suggests in his above long post.
Before we knew Darrin, I went with Dennis' Art Carr Level ll II and a PI converter. I was NA then and really had no need to beef up the tranny, other than for peace of mind. I was out of warranty, had a few bucks and decided to invest them in 'insurance' to prevent breakage of what I thought to be the potentially weakest link in the car. My existing was fine and showed absolutely no need for service. Dennis pre-built me an LII and swapped cores at his shop.
Later, I felt no reservations whatsoever in upgrading performance, including supercharging. I've put over 20K on my trans and 5 of them supercharged. I have had several tunes in it and have even made my own tune for shifts and lockup and the setup just keeps going and going.
Darrin gives excellent advice. Prevent breakage. Even though it's a bunch of money with no apparent increase in performance, it's money well spent... whomever you choose to spend it with.
Good advice, Darrin!!! Thanks for it!!!:up: