PDA

View Full Version : How much for a transmission flush?

DJCV
10-18-2007, 04:13 PM
I had some basic service done to my CV today and was considering a transmission flush. Vehicle's got 60K miles, and I last had a trans service at 25K.

My shop is very highly rated, I've been going to them for years, and I trust them---but their quote for a transmission flush really took me by surprise: $279! They state that they use the BG system and only synthetic ATF, but it still seems quite high.

Anyone have a BG tranny flush with synth ATF done lately, and what should this run? Is synthetic overkill on a daily driver?

cyclopsram
10-18-2007, 04:46 PM
I do my CVs only every 100000 or so and then only the pan drop and filter and 6 quarts of ford atf...cars are retired at 250000 and never lost a tranny..don't let the high priced services keep you from enjoying your ride. Same way with the engine.. 5000 changes when new and then stretched to 10000 when out of warranty and just common ford filters and semi syn. ford oil... $19.95 at my dealer with a free wash.. Ford has cut the margins so much on new cars that the dealers have to raise service prices just to survive.

CROWNMARAUDER
10-18-2007, 04:51 PM
The ford dealer I use charges $129 regular price for a full flush & $99 when they run specials. This is for standard trans fluid not synthetic.

Pat
10-18-2007, 05:35 PM
My latest flush and gush, 1 Oct 07, where the goes-intas and the goes-outas lines are connected to the machine with FMC Mercon V fluid, (I have an aftermarket oil cooler too) was $167.32 at my local FML dealer and that includes a new filter. Took 17 Qts of fluid.
Filter 24.00
Fluid 63.24
labor 59.00
shop 7.31
Tax 13.77

Merc-O-matic
10-18-2007, 05:52 PM
I had some basic service done to my CV today and was considering a transmission flush. Vehicle's got 60K miles, and I last had a trans service at 25K.

My shop is very highly rated, I've been going to them for years, and I trust them---but their quote for a transmission flush really took me by surprise: $279! They state that they use the BG system and only synthetic ATF, but it still seems quite high.

Anyone have a BG tranny flush with synth ATF done lately, and what should this run? Is synthetic overkill on a daily driver?

Standard Transmission Flush (complete) hose in/hose out & replaced
with Ford Mercon V fluid runs anywhere from $60 "ON SPECIAL" to
$125 max. Recently had my 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis in for this
service at Goodyear for $79.00..... A daily driver and runs like a top!

Gotta Love It!:beatnik:

Breadfan
10-18-2007, 06:48 PM
Do not pay extra for synthetic in the trans, you will do better with standard Mercon V fluid and flush it reguarly. Do a search on synthetic ATF some run it with absolutely no issues but some have reported odd behavior with it, the trans runs great with regular though, so it's a safe bet flushed reguarly. :)

RF Overlord
10-19-2007, 04:39 AM
DJCV, that price is VERY high.

I do all the service on my own cars, but my company van is required to be taken to an "approved vendor". I just had the transmission AND transfer case serviced (it's AWD) at the local GMC dealer and the total was only about $230 (I don't have the receipt in front of me).

The Mercon V spec is tough to pass using conventional mineral oil base stocks, so most (if not all) MV is a synthetic blend. If you have the transmission serviced regularly and don't abuse it, synthetic ATF is not necessary.

JMan
10-19-2007, 05:25 AM
Agreed, way too much! I do mine every 15k and only use Motorcraft MerconV fluid. No snake oil cleaners or modifiers, just good old MerconV. It should run between $100 -$150. The tranny guys I deal with say the BG fluid is great but you still have to add modifiers to keep the dreaded torque convertor shudder away. To me thats a chink in the armor (of protection) I'm not willing to deal with.

Best luck,

J

LordVader
10-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Too much!! Look on the Ford website for dealers in your area and then look for specials. Usually runs between $129 and $159 at the dealership.

DJCV
10-19-2007, 02:38 PM
This wasn't even a DEALER; it was at a shop I've been visiting for years. :eek:

I never thought I'd say it, but I'm going to a DEALER now for the trans flush(!).

Thanks everybody.

stryker
01-10-2008, 09:32 PM
:eek: ! Whaaaaaat $279.00! they are :loco: or :lol: or maybe :stooges: I take my Merc 2003 LS to Western auto with my tech buddies there and just cost me $167.00 for the following.

install more capacity tranny pan
trans filter
Flushing service
replace old fluid with Motorcraft Mercon V
deep cleaning the magnet and detailed inspection of the internal tranny parts.

STRYKER. :wreath:

Marylandrauder
01-11-2008, 07:08 PM
I have heard of people having issues where the cleaner loosens stuff up and it does not get flushed out and causes propblems, I would get a trans pan with a drain plug and empty it every 10K or 15K, all you need is someone who does not put the cooler lines on right after flushing trans or they accidently put in the wrong fluid, I remember when these trans flush machines were about to come out, the shops I called that did not have them did not recommend to get it done, one of them was Aamco.