PDA

View Full Version : A review of my JLT..........

FormulaMarauder
10-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Let us start first from ordering the thing. From the day I ordered it, to the day it came to my door took four days. Yes, four days. I can't send a postcard across the country in four days, nevermind a package. Superfast shipping, badass.
Overall product. Nice quality, nice paint, good hardware. Little urked that I had to sand the inside port of the heat shield to get the adapter through the entry hole......
Instructions get a C+. You can read instructions all day long, but a picture is worth a thousand words. And the picture of the complete assembled unit is TINY. Wouldn't be hard to have a LARGE picture of it complete.
Sound/performance.
This is the wrong question to ask me. I have the full Kook's treatment, so my car is LOUD. I can't hear the intake sucking to save my life. Performance? Well even though it's obviously a MAF car, I think the car needs some time to "learn." A new tune coming next week, maybe I can squeeze some more horsies out of it.
Overall product.
Nice. I give it a solid "B." I'm sure that this mod would benefit a stock Marauder more based on perception. Sound/power.

ckadiddle
10-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Seems like I recall that you can help your Marauder relearn it's habits by disconnectiong the battery for a half hour or so. Then you drive the chit out of it and it realizes it has more airflow and rebuilds some tables or something like that.

Raudermaster
10-26-2007, 06:52 PM
Dude, you actually read your instructions? My 6 year old nephew could put it together for me. You never answered me before seeing as you're in NE. Where are you going for a dyno tune? If it's some Joe Schmo "it's a Mustang engine, it shouldn't be too hard" shop, I wish you the best of luck. Take my word for it though soundwise, it's LOUD. Do what was suggested above, D/C the negative cable for about 15-30 min, go out and beat on it and you will notice a difference.

Tucker
10-31-2007, 08:33 AM
Let us start first from ordering the thing. From the day I ordered it, to the day it came to my door took four days. Yes, four days. I can't send a postcard across the country in four days, nevermind a package. Superfast shipping, badass.
Overall product. Nice quality, nice paint, good hardware. Little urked that I had to sand the inside port of the heat shield to get the adapter through the entry hole......
Instructions get a C+. You can read instructions all day long, but a picture is worth a thousand words. And the picture of the complete assembled unit is TINY. Wouldn't be hard to have a LARGE picture of it complete.
Sound/performance.
This is the wrong question to ask me. I have the full Kook's treatment, so my car is LOUD. I can't hear the intake sucking to save my life. Performance? Well even though it's obviously a MAF car, I think the car needs some time to "learn." A new tune coming next week, maybe I can squeeze some more horsies out of it.
Overall product.
Nice. I give it a solid "B." I'm sure that this mod would benefit a stock Marauder more based on perception. Sound/power.
Thanks for the review,
I'm not sure why you needed to sand the hole in the shield. It's designed to be a tight fit through the hole so it seals nice to the filter and doesn't flop around. If yours was too tight to push through I apologize, but it shoud be a tight fit.

Let me know what pics will help the directions and we will see what we can do.

Cars that have a tune will benifit from a retune
Cars that are stock will learn the air in a few miles, not weeks as some have thought. Drive it hard and have fun.:beer:

Thanks fo rtaking the time to give your input and we will see what we can improve on.

Jay

MarauderVOL
11-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Have you noticed any hoodliner issues or emission/code problems?

FormulaMarauder
11-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Have you noticed any hoodliner issues or emission/code problems?
Nope. :) Everything is AOK

Taemian
11-14-2007, 09:03 AM
I will hopefully be installing my JLT today as well, weather permitting. Besides the house, this ranch I'm visiting has no closed-in buildings!!

Go Mifuni
11-14-2007, 01:40 PM
I'm hoping Santy Claus brings me one. Then I can put it on the floor next to my gears to keep them company. :bigcry:

FormulaMarauder
11-15-2007, 10:20 AM
I'm hoping Santy Claus brings me one. Then I can put it on the floor next to my gears to keep them company. :bigcry:
For the love of God, install them already. I highly recommend J & M who did my gears two weeks ago. :banana2: What are you waiting for??
Gimme a call, i'll hook you up. Better yet, drive my car....you'll hve them put installed in no time.
860-982-4805

Go Mifuni
11-15-2007, 04:11 PM
For the love of God, install them already. I highly recommend J & M who did my gears two weeks ago. :banana2: What are you waiting for??
Gimme a call, i'll hook you up. Better yet, drive my car....you'll hve them put installed in no time.
860-982-4805

What am I waiting for?
$$$
It's a silly answer, I know. But it's true.
If it were just a simple gear swap, it would be easier to put aside the funds. But the A's seem to be prone to scored axles which need to be replaced. I also heard about a bearing relocating kit that you can use instead of replacing them. I guess I'm just nervous about opening a can of worms. You start out with a project you think will cost you around $350 and it quickly runs up to $500 or $600.
Just curious, but how much did he charge you? You can PM me if you don't want to say.
Did you have to do anything about your axles? I can't remember if you had a B or not.
I'd love to see how your car drives with the gears.
It's a big difference, huh?

Taemian
11-22-2007, 09:34 PM
I will hopefully be installing my JLT today as well, weather permitting. Besides the house, this ranch I'm visiting has no closed-in buildings!!

After having the JLT installed for a over a week now, with 1000 miles driven in that time, I'm echoing certain frustrations with the installation. The hole in the plastic shield would NEVER fit over the pipe without heavy removal of material. I read the instructions, took what tools it said, and headed out to one of the barns. After much fiddling and cursing, and the use of soapy water, I examined the surfaces and had to get a hoof-file to enlarge the hole. As it was, I then sanded the hole until smooth, and forced the cover over, but still managed to crack the clear plastic V-shaped "braces" on the inside of the plastic cover. :mad2:I siliconed over them after assembly, and am hoping for the best.

That said, the sound from the engine compartment makes a wonderful edition, but I can't really tell a difference performance-wise. Anyone who can feel by the SOP test that you are .1 or .2 secs faster is a better judge than I. That said, I did try to be objective. I installed the Xcal, ran it for 3 days, then added the JLT.

Shipping was very fast. I ordered the black piped version, but it was out of stock. I was then offered the custom painted version at the same price, which I took. (the silver kit). Excellent customer service!

Well, the silver wasn't Tremclad, but it doesn't really match the MM Silver Birch that well either. When the hood is open, the fenders and the JLT pipe are noticeably different. I imagine that it is very close to many silver auto colours, but exact to none. I'm having our paint shop hit it with black, looks more factory/less ricer like that in my eyes.

The instructions could use a new write up as well. I read them, but just ended up laying everything out on the floor logically. If you're mechanically inclined, things are pretty easy. If you like to follow instructions closely or aren't too experienced, I can see how it would be a frustrating time.

I would find it unfair of me to rate the product itself, as I have no concrete dyno numbers to back it up with yet. I can say that the customer service was very good, shipping was very fast, and the engine can get very loud now! I would suggest to Jay that he recheck the diameter of the shield hole, as there is no way that mine would have fit without filing and sanding. Even after my sanding, the fit is tight, as evidenced by the clear inner brackets having cracked while the shield body was being manhandled/forced over the lip.

Just my two cents...well, $175 bucks actually!

FormulaMarauder
11-24-2007, 10:56 PM
The hole in the plastic shield would NEVER fit over the pipe without heavy removal of material. I read the instructions, took what tools it said, and headed out to one of the barns. After much fiddling and cursing, and the use of soapy water, I examined the surfaces and had to get a hoof-file to enlarge the hole. As it was, I then sanded the hole until smooth, and forced the cover over, but still managed to crack the clear plastic V-shaped "braces" on the inside of the plastic cover. :mad2:

I would suggest to Jay that he recheck the diameter of the shield hole, as there is no way that mine would have fit without filing and sanding. Even after my sanding, the fit is tight, as evidenced by the clear inner brackets having cracked while the shield body was being manhandled/forced over the lip.

Ha! I knew Im not the only one! I mentioned this too as written above. :mad2:

Tucker
11-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Could it simply have been a bad shield?
You should not have to file anything. If the shield was made wrong we can replace it. For that I apologise, they are made here local by the hundreds and it's very hard to check everyone. not an excuse, just a fact.
Again Sorry about this.
As for the color, you asked if it was silver birch and we told you no, it was satin silver and we had never had a complait. Until now.
Sorry your install got you so frustrated as it should not.
I have gone over the directions and simply can not find what is so bad about them. If you go step by step it will be installed in about 45 minutes.
Please clearify what in the directions needs work and we will fix it. We change things all the time. I've added more pictures and detailed text. I also asked the original thread starter what would help, but got no responce.
Here is the directions:
http://jlttruecoldair.com/instructions/RAI%20Install%20for%20Marauder .pdf

Local Boy
11-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Hey Tucker,

Just wanted to let you know, That I too had to file and sand down the shield...It (the hole) was way too small...

Good product though...

ALOHA

MarauderVOL
11-25-2007, 03:22 PM
Ok I was going to order 1 on Mon. but all this talk about sanding has me a little nervous. My mechanical skills aren't the best and I definetely have no carpentry skills.

gmtech
11-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Ok I was going to order 1 on Mon. but all this talk about sanding has me a little nervous. My mechanical skills aren't the best and I definetely have no carpentry skills.
Id order it...my sheild needed no filing....took only fifteen minutes to install,you will love the sound:burnout:

Taemian
11-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Hey Tucker,

Just wanted to let you know, That I too had to file and sand down the shield...It (the hole) was way too small...

Good product though...

ALOHA
Well, with three shields all having the same probelem, perhaps it was a bad batch, Mr. Tucker? You may want to check random shields for fit issues. Thanks for the offer of a new shield, but this one is on TIGHT and silicone covered the cracks. I don't dare try to take it off now, unless a crack spreads further, in which case I will PM you to get a new shield.

I think that a photo or diagram of the pieces with a legend or id numbers would be helpful to those with less mechanical aptitude. Think IKEA furniture instructions!:)

I do love the sound of the CAI, and the look will be complete for me when I hit the silver tube with black. Thanks for your concern with your customers, it is appreciated to see feedback answered and addressed.:beer:

freakstatus
11-26-2007, 01:06 AM
Ian, something like this maybe??

http://www.kandn.com/instructions/57-2563.pdf

Tucker
11-26-2007, 05:59 AM
Ian, something like this maybe??

http://www.kandn.com/instructions/57-2563.pdf
Wow, no wonder they cost so much, they have writers and photographers.:eek:

I will be checking all shields today for fit.

Jay

Tucker
11-26-2007, 07:25 AM
Just sent out 3 MM kits and checked the shields.
They were slightly too small.
I cought it and fixed it.
This is why I need to know if you have a issue with your kit.

If anybody feels they need a replacement shield, email or call me!
I'm not always on the internet, so posting problems can lead to delays in help.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Jay

Taemian
11-26-2007, 08:40 PM
Just sent out 3 MM kits and checked the shields.
They were slightly too small.
I cought it and fixed it.
This is why I need to know if you have a issue with your kit.

I'm not always on the internet, so posting problems can lead to delays in help.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Jay
Thanks for checking it for future buyers of your kit. Your sarcasm in the previous post about the K&N kit was timely... I'm guessing they have a quality control section they have to pay for, so as not to rely on customers to point out production problems upon delivery or installation.

That said, your commitment to your product line is admirable, and hopefully people who view this post will see your good intentions and problem resolution. I wouldn't hesitate to order from you again if I had the need for a similar product again.

Also, the K&N instruction page IS of great benefit to those less mechanically inclined, and I believe you may want to draw up something similar.

Thanks for the quick follow up, and follow through.

Also, I'd like one of the newly-checked shields please, as if the cracks continue or lengthen, I'd only have to dredge up this post in the future. Thank you.

Tucker
11-27-2007, 06:02 AM

What I was getting at is it all goes together.
We keep cost very low, but have what you would say marginale directions.
K&N is overall very expencive due to the cost of such parts and directions.

Local Boy
11-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Thanks Jay,

Great guy...Great product...Great customer service!!!

ALOHA

MarauderVOL
11-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Sent Jay a PM in regards to the heat shield size. He said all were going out checked. I'll be placing my order within the week. Seems that everyone here likes the product and the customer service. Can't wait to get one and get it on.