PDA

View Full Version : J and M Motorsports review........

FormulaMarauder
11-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Since my brother made a very eloquent post in regards to his bs phone conversation he had with them.....allow me to clarify.

I dealt with J and M Motorsports directly Thursday. I employed them for a gear install and some tune freshening. My car had a nasty flat dead spot in it, and I wanted the shifts firmer. I dropped off the car and they had it on the lift an hour later when I drove by already removed of its axles and pumpkin cover. Five hours later i swung by to picke her up. My original quote for the gears was 230.00 for the parts. They ended up being $280 or so, but Mike gracisously charged me the quoted 230.00 and trashed the original invoice. Nice. They told me my bearings all looked fresh, so they didnt need to be replaced. Good again, some shops shaft you for things like that. Apparently they checked my tune and told me it was complete trash. The car was pinging like crazy, and even though I use 93 octane, he had to give me a 91 tune. Shifts like a champ, and the car is a LOT quieter. :confused: I'm guessing the tune wasnt what it should be and bottling up the exhaust. It has a full kooks system, mid lengths back. He suggested a 90mm MAF, and even put one aside for me come dyno time. All and all, i'm happy with my J and M experience. Mike was very knowledgeable in regards to the cars, and we got talking about blowers. Pretty much convinced me to get roots style or hang in for the twin screw. I still have to get the Lidio tune on my Xcal, then i'll get it dynoed and post numbers.

SMOKE
11-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Atta boy! Thanks for getting out there and posting up. Let's hope the rear holds up and stays quiet. Did they recommend any break in such as the posts in the other thread suggested?

How's the launch?! Any SOTP diff?

-Jonathan

FormulaMarauder
11-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Oh, and another thing. He got into some mild tuning, car is completely different. SOTP is amazing, the flatspot is GONE, and the car responds amazing. Very pleased.

FormulaMarauder
11-15-2007, 07:09 AM
Did they recommend any break in such as the posts in the other thread suggested?

How's the launch?! Any SOTP diff?

-Jonathan

i asked about break in, he said drive it like i do everyday, hard or otherwise. As far as the launch, I never really launched with the old gears seeing that I only had the car a few weeks, but throttle response is interesting, not sure if i should attribute that to the gears or tune. lol. Shift points on 1-2 and 2-3 will snap your neck back and break the tires loose at full throttle. Sure is fun at the highway entrance ramps. ;):coolman::burnout:

Raudermaster
11-16-2007, 12:55 PM
Most likely the gears helped on what it seemed like throttle response.

KillJoy
11-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Uhhh...... how did he "Tune" you car? Did he reprogram the ECU?

If so, why do you need to get a Lidio Tune on your XCal?

KillJoy

magindat
11-16-2007, 01:46 PM
90mm MAF on an NA car? Must be the Kooks talking.

FormulaMarauder
11-16-2007, 04:44 PM
He put one aside for me come dyno time. He said he was curious if it would make a difference or not.

FormulaMarauder
11-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Uhhh...... how did he "Tune" you car? Did he reprogram the ECU?

If so, why do you need to get a Lidio Tune on your XCal?

KillJoy

I have an XCal, he said my tune was trash, so he tinkered with it and the car feels tons better. Everyone is so enthralled by the "Lidio" tune, so im going to have J&M in one spot, and the Lidio in the other to compare. I'll let you know results. :beer:

John F. Russo
01-26-2008, 07:10 PM
I have an XCal, he said my tune was trash, so he tinkered with it and the car feels tons better. Everyone is so enthralled by the "Lidio" tune, so im going to have J&M in one spot, and the Lidio in the other to compare. I'll let you know results. :beer:

What were the results of your shoot out?

Glenn
01-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Not sure if your tuner was referring to Lidio's tune. But Lidio did my MM tune with a trans mod last August. He got every HP and TQ at the right rpm to support the shift schedule to run 11.9's and the car is 100% streetable.

Glenn :burnout:

FormulaMarauder
01-28-2008, 07:49 AM
What were the results of your shoot out?
Haven't done it yet. Waiting for the weather to crack so I can take both to the track. I guess i could dyno both to see what I get. Time will tell. I'll post results as soon as I get them. :cool:

Go Mifuni
01-31-2008, 01:22 PM
Just curious, but where did you get your first tune? If you don't want to say publicly, please shoot me a PM.

magindat
01-31-2008, 01:28 PM
He put one aside for me come dyno time. He said he was curious if it would make a difference or not.

Dennis felt I needed one after he maxed my 80mm on the dyno after headers.

Paul T. Casey
01-31-2008, 03:02 PM

All about flow. If you can get more out (Kooks) bring more in. Stock injectors are plenty enough for n/a 90 mm MAF.

Paul T. Casey
01-31-2008, 03:03 PM
Where is J&M? Do they have a website?

John F. Russo
02-01-2008, 10:02 AM
Not sure if your tuner was referring to Lidio's tune. But Lidio did my MM tune with a trans mod last August. He got every HP and TQ at the right rpm to support the shift schedule to run 11.9's and the car is 100% streetable.

Glenn :burnout:

mmmmmmmmmmm (This is the only way I can erase what I just said until someone can tell me how to do it otherwise.)

SMOKE
02-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Where is J&M? Do they have a website?

Here ya go Paul...don't sweat the Corvette on the home page, they handle
a much broader range of cars than just GM...

LINK TO J&M MOTORSPORTS (http://www.jandmmotorsports.com/home.htm)

-Jonathan