PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Slipping

Midnight
11-09-2007, 01:41 AM
2003 with 60K miles. with a tranny slip.. its the stock transmission is their a aftermarket BETTER MADE transmission to withstand higher horsepower (a supercharger is soon) any avenue i should take?

Marauderjack
11-09-2007, 04:13 AM
BC Automotive.....Check the Vendor Forums!!:beer:

Darrin
11-09-2007, 05:08 AM
BC Automotive.....Check the Vendor Forums!!:beer:
That's me. If you need help with your transmission or have questions then juet message me or give me a call at the shop.

Darrin

Midnight
11-09-2007, 04:33 PM
I have an extended warranty through Carmax. so the service will need to be done by a local shop. i have my shop in mind. Carmax said i can do whatever i want with the transmission if it is the same "style" non "racing" or anything like that so im looking for a new transmission model number that i can refer to my shop. so they can order it and install it.. carmax will let me go brand new. any ideas?

JohnE
11-12-2007, 06:29 AM
Well at least change your Mercon V out. You should change the fluid every 15-20k anyway. What part is slipping and under what conditions?

If you said your engine was missing, would everyone recommend to replace the motor right off the bat? How about diagnosing the issue and performing routine maintenance first?

John

ts-pa
11-12-2007, 01:36 PM
John, Midnight specifically asked about a better made version. I vote Darrin @ BC Automotive also. Just ordered one today.

KillJoy
11-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Here is MY Idea....

Darrin, create a "BUILT" MM Trans.

Make a P/N for it.

Label it something non-identifying, or "High Reliability"...

Have your company order it from Darrin.

:up:

:D

KillJoy

sailsmen
11-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Try Reinhart, 70K miles and 140 runs down the 1,320' w/o any probs.

Midnight
11-12-2007, 02:17 PM
the tranny is slipping with a low rpm in 2nd and 3rd gear. at a high rpm the tranny does fine. i dropped the pan and fluid when i got it at 45K miles. the fluid was nice and clean, barely any metal on the magnet. changed the fluid, cleaned the magnet, and after a couple thousand miles the " jumping" began where im accellerating slowly and it "jerks" but none the less, the warranty requires a shop to do it with their documentation i had a 1990 lincoln towncar that i got rebuilt from a guy and the tranny ran like a dream after that, so im going to take it back to him, just curious if their was any "kit" anyone experienced made for the marauder specifically.

KillJoy
11-12-2007, 02:19 PM
You can perform the J-Mod.

Art Carr makes a Shift Kit.

I "think" B&M makes a Shift Kit.

KillJoy

Darrin
11-12-2007, 03:01 PM
I am not sure what the issue is. Would there be a problem with your shop purchasing and installing a "rebuilt" transmission from a company that rebuilds them?

For the record, you cannot purchase an actual new transmission. Those only go into new vehicles. All replacement parts are reman and the factory doesn't build them. The reman transmissions are outsourced.

Darrin

RF Overlord
11-12-2007, 03:37 PM
You can perform the J-Mod.

Art Carr makes a Shift Kit.

I "think" B&M makes a Shift Kit.

Steve, Jerry Wroblewski advises against most "shift kits", as they force the transmission to do things mechanically that are better done electronically with a tune. I will try to find the link where he describes why in detail when I get home and edit this post. I believe he also said many of the improvements of the "J-Mod" were incorporated into later versions of the 4R70W from the factory some years ago, so they may be redundant. He keeps threatening to update "Transmissions 101" to reflect this...I hope he can find the time.

CBT
11-13-2007, 11:43 AM
I am not sure what the issue is. Would there be a problem with your shop purchasing and installing a "rebuilt" transmission from a company that rebuilds them?

For the record, you cannot purchase an actual new transmission. Those only go into new vehicles. All replacement parts are reman and the factory doesn't build them. The reman transmissions are outsourced.

Darrin

Awesome! Someone barefoot making 5 cents an hour is rebuilding our trannys.

:uzi::bandit: