PDA

View Full Version : Scraping noise from brake pads.

BirchMarauder
11-20-2007, 06:23 PM
put new ebc rotors on front and rear. went with the ultimax (black pads) on the front and ford pads on the back. ebc apparently doesn't make ultimax for the rear. anyway, after about 250 miles and there specific bedding process, i'm hearing a light grinding noise (similar to having a key cut) with no brake pedal applied and alittle louder when I brake. is this normal? will it go away after more miles are put on the brakes. I don't think I can live with my car sounding like crap when I brake even if the cars brakes work just fine. funny thing is I don't hear anything from the rear ford pads. only the front ebc pads. I'm going to be putting about 600 more miles on the car the next 2 days. anyone gone thru this type thing?

freakstatus
11-21-2007, 02:18 AM
Could it be the indicator? Maybe wasn't bent back far enough when the brakes were last done?

TheDonk
11-21-2007, 06:01 AM
Yes, you are not alone on the noisy fronts. My left front has been
noisy w/ scraping sound since day 1, same setup as yours.

from Freakstatus:[Could it be the indicator?]
What indicator? I know not of what you speak.

wchain
11-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Yes, you are not alone on the noisy fronts. My left front has been
noisy w/ scraping sound since day 1, same setup as yours.

from Freakstatus:[Could it be the indicator?]
What indicator? I know not of what you speak.

Theres a squeaker that makes noise when the pads get low.

As far as EBC pads go, I stopped carrying them. Why? Every car site I go to, Mercedes forums, F150, Explorer, Mustang, Expedition/Navi, etc, theres always at least one active thread about people complaining about scraping noises with EBC Pads.

Local Boy
11-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Hey guys,

Go with NAPA ceramic pads... They are GREAT!!!

No noise...no dust...

ALOHA

crouse
11-21-2007, 10:50 AM
I had the same problem.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36654&highlight=ebc

Removed the EBC's and installed Wagner ThermoQuiets. No more scraping sound.

bigmerc'03
11-21-2007, 11:31 PM
go napa ceramic u cant go wrong

BirchMarauder
11-23-2007, 08:04 PM
alright, I've got 800 miles on the car since the brakes were done, the indicator it's an issue. still getting that annoying scraping sound. Since I am already using ford pads in the back on ebc rotors, I went and got the fronts today and will be installing them tomorrow. I've used napa ceramic pads on napa rotors on another vehicle. low dust, greating stopping, but ate the rotors up.

ckadiddle
11-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Mebbe you gots a Hyundai stuck between the pad and the disc somewheres...

fastduo
11-25-2007, 12:16 AM
Mebbe you gots a Hyundai stuck between the pad and the disc somewheres...

:burnout:LOL

Local Boy
11-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Hey BirchMarauder,

Don't use NAPA rotors...just the ceramic pads...

ALOHA

BirchMarauder
11-25-2007, 08:53 AM
I put ford pads on the front. still getting the noise. but only when I brake and then it fades. I'm thinking it's the rotors because EBC does admit that their rotors make noise and that the noise fades about 2000 miles or so. I'll ride out the ford pads to the 2000 mile mark and see. or listen. thanks for the napa ceramic recommendation. if need be, I'll drop another $60 for napa pads.

Illss
11-25-2007, 07:12 PM
I had a noise but coming from parking brake shoes

BirchMarauder
01-20-2008, 08:30 AM
I've been using Napa Ceramix now for awhile with the EBC rotors and i'm still getting that stupid scraping noise. I'm very tempted to just trash the whole set up and go stock. I've never had this much trouble with brake noise with any other equipment. SUCKS!

mtenderenda
01-22-2008, 07:41 AM
The Carbon fiber KVR pads, squeal like a Mac truck stopping, annoying.

fastblackmerc
01-22-2008, 07:53 AM
I've been using Napa Ceramix now for awhile with the EBC rotors and i'm still getting that stupid scraping noise. I'm very tempted to just trash the whole set up and go stock. I've never had this much trouble with brake noise with any other equipment. SUCKS!

I recently installed a +1 front upgrade from TCE.... one of the best mods I've done to my MM. Zero, nada, zilch problems.