PDA

View Full Version : Normal (Stock) Trans Temps

jonroe
11-21-2007, 06:35 AM
Folks,

After watching my Aeroforce OBD2 scan gauge since late August I have questions about expected normal trans operating temperatures. Note, I have only the stock trans cooler but I do have the FRPP deep aluminum pan and 2 qts more fluid. During late summer with outside temps in the upper 80s the cruising trans temp was about 190 with Lidio tune and the TC lockup at about 66mph. Most of the cruise time was below the lock-up speed so I suppose there was extra heat from the slippage. Now, in late fall with outside temps in the 30s I see the cruising temps in the mid 180s with the only real difference that it climbs to that temp slower. I thought the cruising temp in these cooler outside temps would be lower. Questions:

1. Is the stock trans cooler thermostatically controlled to maintain a temp over 180 even when the outside temp is cold? It appears to be a tube and fin model, not the plate type that controls by viscosity.

2. Are these temps still safe even though desired temps are more like 170? It seems so if Ford put the thermostat on the trans cooler.

3. I'd like to get an extra cooler to get down to 170 but do I need to?

4. Does running without lock-up on the highway cause too high temps? I did run a little time in the summer on the stock tune and noticed maybe 5 degrees cooler overall cruising with lock-up.

Thanks. Jon

FordNut
11-21-2007, 06:41 AM
The stock cooler has a thermostatically controlled bypass.

180 is fine.

Running without lockup does create higher temps but not enough to worry about.

magindat
11-21-2007, 06:45 AM
My aeroforce gauge shows me about a 203 average and gets to about 215 when I'm in the triple digits. I have a 3K converter and art Carr pan.

To compensate, I change about 6-7 quarts of fluid (all that will drain) every 2nd oil change.

I have a DR cooler sitting in the garage, just gotta get around to it.

180 is good.

jonroe
11-21-2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the inputs. I will probably add the extra cooler this winter or next spring just to get closer to running 170 most of the time. I do drain the 6qts and refill every other oil change to freshen things up. The highest temp I saw last summer was about 194. Jon