PDA

View Full Version : Canada's Top LEO

Master
11-23-2007, 11:22 AM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">In light of all the "Bad Cop" Publicity, I thought I'd drop a link to a particularly "Good Cop". One of the best, in fact. Any LEOs reading this might want to look to this as an example. Couldn't hurt for the average citizen to take notes, either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Steele
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

gja
11-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Well,
Most LEOs have, and never will, serve in the armed forces. And it is my steadfast belief that this is a underlying reason that the ones who HAVE done so, generally distinguish themselves amongst the rest.

Folks can disagree if they wish, but that will not change my feeling on this. When you are faced with the 100% fact that there will be an attempt to kill you for merely wearing the uniform and standing post your value set and sense of accountability gets a permanent and real adjustment. Especially when you are forced to face the reality that a screwup on your end will endanger not just yourself, but many others, and you want to be known for holding up your end.

I'm not saying being a cop is all roses and doughnuts, but it's one thing to hear shots every so often and another reality altogether to know damn well you will be shot at all day long by folks who just want to water the street with your blood.

Kind of helps you get priorities REALLY straight and puts a terrible cost associated with not "doing the job right".

Dr Caleb
11-23-2007, 02:23 PM
Well,
Most LEOs have, and never will, serve in the armed forces. And it is my steadfast belief that this is a underlying reason that the ones who HAVE done so, generally distinguish themselves amongst the rest.

Folks can disagree if they wish, but that will not change my feeling on this.

Well, in general, I would agree, but one guy, Rob Furlong is an exception.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Furlong

He holds the world record for a killshot in combat. 2,430 metres (1.5 miles) in Afghanistan and he is a former member, 3PPCLI, and currently serving with the Edmonton Police Service.

But in the absence of a Militia in Canada, the RCMP are considered to be in that role. So, technically, if you are in the RCMP you are in the armed forces.

Taemian
11-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Well,

Folks can disagree if they wish, but that will not change my feeling on this. When you are faced with the 100% fact that there will be an attempt to kill you for merely wearing the uniform and standing post your value set and sense of accountability gets a permanent and real adjustment. Especially when you are forced to face the reality that a screwup on your end will endanger not just yourself, but many others, and you want to be known for holding up your end.

I'm not saying being a cop is all roses and doughnuts, but it's one thing to hear shots every so often and another reality altogether to know damn well you will be shot at all day long by folks who just want to water the street with your blood.

Kind of helps you get priorities REALLY straight and puts a terrible cost associated with not "doing the job right".
I competely agree with this post. Having served in both is of great benefit.

Aren Jay
12-13-2007, 09:40 PM
It is a shame the top cop died 88 years ago and no one has ever approached his level since.

RCSignals
12-19-2007, 01:29 AM
<table id="HB_Mail_Container" unselectable="on" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="100%" width="100%"><tbody><tr width="100%" unselectable="on" height="100%"><td id="HB_Focus_Element" unselectable="off" background="" height="250" valign="top" width="100%">In light of all the "Bad Cop" Publicity, I thought I'd drop a link to a particularly "Good Cop". One of the best, in fact. Any LEOs reading this might want to look to this as an example. Couldn't hurt for the average citizen to take notes, either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Steele
</td></tr><tr unselectable="on" hb_tag="1"><td style="font-size: 1pt;" unselectable="on" height="1">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Until I saw Sam Steele I was hoping you were referring to someone a little more current. Oh well Sam will do.

RCSignals
12-19-2007, 01:32 AM
Well, in general, I would agree, but one guy, Rob Furlong is an exception.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Furlong

He holds the world record for a killshot in combat. 2,430 metres (1.5 miles) in Afghanistan and he is a former member, 3PPCLI, and currently serving with the Edmonton Police Service.

But in the absence of a Militia in Canada, the RCMP are considered to be in that role. So, technically, if you are in the RCMP you are in the armed forces.

Where has the Militia gone? Other than filling holes in the Regular Force.

The RCMP are not and have not been for many yeas, anything near 'Armed Forces' Para military maybe.