PDA

View Full Version : SWI-PS and AVIC-D3 weirdness

empeguser
11-26-2007, 08:01 AM
Hi all, I have a strange problem, I installed my D3 the other night and everything works great accept when I turn the headlights on the volume up and down on the steering wheel stops working the mode and next track still work just not the volume. I have confirmed that everything is wired correct and the D3 does dim like it suppose to with the headlights on. I looked at the led on the SWI-PS and it does not light while pressing only the vol up or down on the steering wheel when the lights are on, the other functions work but when I turn the lights off everything works fine and the led does light for all functions (mode/next track/vol up and down). This is very weird any ideas?

magindat
11-26-2007, 08:15 AM
Cut the dimmer wire to the D3. It has a light sensor and auto dims. I never hook up the wired dimmer and never have problem with the SWIX.

Note: this also avoids inappropriate unit dimming when driving with lights on in daylight.

empeguser
11-26-2007, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, but the D3 doesn't have the dimmer sensor built in I know the D2 does but they did away with that on the D3 (not sure why because it was nice). The SWI-PS plugs directly into the back of the D3 the SWIX is the infrared one, I might actually switch back to the swix (i do have one of those to).

magindat
11-26-2007, 10:12 AM
They're all the same to me...;)

I have done 2x D3's and never use the dimmer. No complaints... yet.

empeguser
11-26-2007, 10:23 AM
They're all the same to me...;)

I have done 2x D3's and never use the dimmer. No complaints... yet.

LOL... I usually don't use the dimmer lead on my installs either but I do like the way the map colors change at night . :)

magindat
11-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Add your own auto dimmer with a photocell. That would make the dimming automatic and would isolate the circuit.

empeguser
11-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Add your own auto dimmer with a photocell. That would make the dimming automatic and would isolate the circuit.

Yep, that would work too... I wonder why pioneer got rid of the photocell in the D3? I guess it cost them an extra two cents..LOL. It is such a strange problem the SWI-PS has no connection with the dimmer wire it must be a glitch with the unit itself. I will probably just use my SWIX that way there is no physical connection between the two.

magindat
11-26-2007, 11:57 AM
Remember, the swix may also have control problems when direct sunlight shines on the IR receiver.

empeguser
11-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Remember, the swix may also have control problems when direct sunlight shines on the IR receiver.

Yep, this is true. never had too much of a problem from that though.

empeguser
11-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Hi all, problem solved, I re-programed the SWI-PS while the headlights were on and the problem went away... go figure. Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to post some pictures of the install when I get a chance, I changed the startup screen to something everyone here will appreciate. :)

mtenderenda
12-26-2007, 05:43 PM
I put in my radio (AVIC D-2) with the SWI-PS. When i program the SWI-PS with the lights off it works. Then when i turn the lights on, the SWI-PS does not work. I decided to try to program with the lights on. Now the buttons on the wheel only work with the lights on....Annoying......
What should I do?:confused:

rvaldez1
12-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Hi all, problem solved, I re-programed the SWI-PS while the headlights were on and the problem went away... go figure. Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to post some pictures of the install when I get a chance, I changed the startup screen to something everyone here will appreciate. :)

Thats odd...the only thing I could guess is that the resistance changes with the lights on.

magindat
12-27-2007, 05:38 AM
I put in my radio (AVIC D-2) with the SWI-PS. When i program the SWI-PS with the lights off it works. Then when i turn the lights on, the SWI-PS does not work. I decided to try to program with the lights on. Now the buttons on the wheel only work with the lights on....Annoying......
What should I do?:confused:

Put something over the light sensor on the dash and have DRL's all the time. This is what I do, not because of the SWI, but because I like the auto lights. I don't have this issue with my SWI-X.

magindat
12-27-2007, 06:10 AM
Ever get those startup screen pics?