PDA

View Full Version : Installed 04 dohc engine and trans into 98 cv

k9cinco
11-27-2007, 05:31 AM
Does anyone have the wiring diagrams for the 04 marauder engine and trans harness. I installed a 04 marauder engine and trans into a 98 cvpi. The harness plugs in but a couple pins are missing in the 98 harness and I am not sure if the cars main engine and trans harness plug has the same wire configuration as the marauder. (my marauder was crushed by a 3ft x 40ft tree, Bought the car back from ins.co and now building a sleeper) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

magindat
11-27-2007, 05:34 AM
Does anyone have the wiring diagrams for the 04 marauder engine and trans harness. I installed a 04 marauder engine and trans into a 98 cvpi. The harness plugs in but a couple pins are missing in the 98 harness and I am not sure if the cars main engine and trans harness plug has the same wire configuration as the marauder. (my marauder was crushed by a 3ft x 40ft tree, Bought the car back from ins.co and now building a sleeper) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Very cool. I'm useless for your question, but we have a member drock96marquis (sp?) who seems to be a whiz with the wiring diagrams.

k9cinco
11-27-2007, 05:43 AM
If you can have him get in touch w/me I would really appreciate it, Im trying to finish the car today. Thanks

magindat
11-27-2007, 05:50 AM
If you can have him get in touch w/me I would really appreciate it, Im trying to finish the car today. Thanks

You have the same means I do. Email or PM.

FordNut
11-27-2007, 08:19 AM
If I'm not mistaken, when DR converted John Kuhn's car he used the GM harness and spliced in connectors from the Marauder harness where necessary.

Pops
11-27-2007, 08:28 AM
DR did not do mine. The people who did it did reuse the stock harness and the computer. The computer programing was not easy. DR did ts-pa car and he is on the board a lot. Try sending him a PM. I think his is a little newer than yours.

FordNut
11-27-2007, 08:36 AM
DR did not do mine. The people who did it did reuse the stock harness and the computer. The computer programing was not easy. DR did ts-pa car and he is on the board a lot. Try sending him a PM. I think his is a little newer than yours.

Thanks for the correction. It seems that both conversions utilized the original harness instead of the MM harness.

Pops
11-27-2007, 08:41 AM
Brian they are going to change the computer this time around. The old computer does not have enough memory for the new motor. I will know more on this as the project unfolds. The car is at the shop now and the new motor is done. It looked like a pretty serious discussion going on over the ECM when I dropped it off. They said it can be done but will not be easy as it still has to work on the older parts of the car.

FordNut
11-27-2007, 08:55 AM
They said it can be done but will not be easy .

I'd say that's an understatement!

Darrin
11-27-2007, 09:18 AM
The harness that actually goes into the transmission should be the same, but you will have some differences on the rest of the transmission. Most notably, the 98 used a VSS and the 04 Marauder didn't. If you have a hole in the side of the tailshaft housing for the VSS and it has a plug in it then take out the plug and stick your finger in to check if you can feel teeth on the output shaft. If so, then life is looking ok for you. If not then trouble.

Oh, and you are going to have an issue with the number of teeth on the the output shaft ring gear. That and the OSS sensor may go into the hole on the newer transmission, but it will hit the ring gear and cause all sorts of heck.

Darrin

Pops
11-27-2007, 09:25 AM
Darrin my GM is a 95 which makes it really old. I need to stop hijacking this thread.

Darrin
11-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Darrin my GM is a 95 which makes it really old. I need to stop hijacking this thread.
You will need to do more work for sure to use the 4R75 transmission out of a Marauder. An 03 transmission would be a better choice for you than an 04 because of the number of teeth on the output shaft ring gear. But, you will have a problem with the internal electronics and wiring. The 98 has the same internal stuff, but the 95 doesn't. You can either repin the 95 harness on the car to relocate the wires into the proper places for the newer transmission, replace the internal electronics in the transmission with the old style stuff or replace the computer and wiring harness in your car with the stuff from a Marauder.

I think that you will end up using the newer computer and harness. There will be too many potential issues that are not transmission related otherwise.

Darrin

Pops
11-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Darrin we are using a 95 transmission. I had a 04 but it created problems so we built the old one.

Darrin
11-27-2007, 09:48 AM
What computer are you using John?

Darrin

Pops
11-27-2007, 09:51 AM
I think its the OBD 2 and I know its from the 95. Paul told me its as early as that series gets.

Drock96Marquis
11-27-2007, 10:08 AM

Phil, you can either use your stock harness, and tailor it to fit (and solder in the new pigtails as necessary) - or, the MM's engine harness and re-pin the connector. If it were me, I'd probably use the MM harness and re-pin the large harness connectors as needed. I'd also use your stock PCM, and have it tuned for the new setup.

There are some extra wires on the 03+ harness you won't be using, like the FPR and fuel temp sensor, knock sensor wiring, etc. The 03+ harness will also be wired for the MM's 24# EV9 injectors, you likely have EV1 connectors on your 98's harness (well, actually USCAR vs Jetronic connectors, but for layman's sake we will just keep it ev1/9). If you use the 98 harness, you can remove the terminals for each injector connector and pin them into the 03+'s EV9 connector shells.
You will also want to use your 98's EGR valve and DPFE sensor.

As far as the wiring diagrams are concerned, I'll try to get them taken care of for you this evening.

I also suggest you take a look in the hi-performance section on www.crownvic.net (http://www.crownvic.net) - we have a few members there who have done the swap, and it has been discussed ad nauseam.

As far as the trans, as Darrin said the OSS will not read correctly as the plantery ring gear was revised for 2004+ MY. You may be able to have a tuner correct this, but don't count on it. I agree with him, I'd look for a trans from a (01)-03 model panther. The bulkhead connector is the same. Most 03 panthers still have a hole in the tailshaft for the VSS with a block off plate and the output shaft has the VSS teeth. If you want to retain your CVPI's aluminum driveshaft you need to use a trans with the extended tail shaft housing, which would be all TCs, CVPIs, and MMs. Or, put your extended shaft on the new trans. 99(-02) CVPIs and 00(-02) HPPs have a 7 tooth VSS drive versus your 8, BTW - so keep that in mind for your speedo gear selection.

Oh, and don't forget about using your -02s a/c high pressure cutout switch - if you touched any of that.

ts-pa
11-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Dennis used the 2000 ECM, modified of course, to get my 2003 DOHC engine to work in my car.
The car will not run or even start with the stock tune. You need to contact someone like Dennis (http://www.reinhartautomotive.com/) or Lidio (http://www.alternativeauto.com/history/history_main.html) to get a good tune to work the engine.
Darrin (http://www.bc-automotive.com/) just set me up with a great transmission as mine died rather quickly with the DOHC engine in place, or was that from my right foot?;)

You can check out the links in my sig for the thread.

ITLRUN
11-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Let me check my Ford Motor Company Service Manual DVD, if I have it I'll try to copy it. Where do you want it emailed to? If I can't copy it to email, I'll make a copy and transfer it into my pictures and upload it in members gallery. ITLRUN I'll get back to you within the hour, either way.

ITLRUN
11-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Let me check my Ford Motor Company Service Manual DVD, if I have it I'll try to copy it. Where do you want it emailed to? If I can't copy it to email, I'll make a copy and transfer it into my pictures and upload it in members gallery. ITLRUN I'll get back to you within the hour, either way. Sorry, it only goes to 03, and there is a big difference. There are 6 wires coming out of the pcm for 03, and 9 wires coming out of the 04. The 03 has the 4R70W, and the 04's have the 4R75W. I might still be able to get my hands on one, I'll check with a friend of mine, he works in the service dept. at the local Ford Dealer. Keep the faith, I'm sure one of us will have something to help you out, ITLRUN.

Darrin
11-27-2007, 11:58 AM
I definitely have the manuals, what all exactly do you need?

Darrin

k9cinco
11-29-2007, 02:54 AM
Well guys, the project has me baffled. I worked on it till midnight. Layed out both harnesses. If I were to use the MM harness, I have the problem of the electronic fuel regulator, and 4 extra pins in the main connector. My existing setup has a fuel return and the MM does not(my 98 computer wont run it..?????) Will the injectors from the MM run on my 98 pcm or will the pcm not recoginize or run it rich. I dont' have the MM computer and I am not sure if my 98 cvpi computer will run with the MM harness? BAFFLED> I am going to try putting the 98 harness and extending the coil pack pigtails. If anyone has time to chat, Give me a call cause I am at whits end over the engine harness let alone the trans(whole nother issue) Thanks Phil 609-820-6322

Darrin
11-29-2007, 07:33 AM
I can help with wiring diagrams and such, but I will defer to the more experienced crowd to give you the rest. I can definitely figure it out, but I would have to look through the manuals to see all of what both cars have and what needs to be done.

I am quite sure that there are people who already know this and any other roadblocks you might run into or tricks to save you hassle that can help.

Not that I am not wanting to help, but I just won't be able to do so in a timely fashion at the moment. And, I will be working strictly from manuals and not actual past experience.

Darrin

k9cinco
12-04-2007, 12:42 AM
I am still working on the wiring of the dohc swap. I would just like to thank everyone for the help in trying to figure out this mess. We believe we are on the home stretch. We are now using the 04 MM harness w/ 03 CVPI computer. We are adding and moving wires on the short jumper harness between the engine harness and the pcm. Several wires are in the wrong location also. Just hope that the 75 trans will work out for us, If not I am looking at a 5 spd.? Thanks again, If anyone has any input email me at K9CINCO@COMCAST.NET