PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads for stock rotors

fastcar
11-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Hi Todd,

My brakes are starting to get that weird feeling, like they are getting low. Kind of grabby, and a bit low. I'm starting to think I may need pads. What are your recommendations for pads? I used to use Performance Friction pads on my CV. They warmed up slower, but wouldn't fade ever, and wore like IRON.

But, replacing the rotors is more expensive and difficult than the pads, and I had to do exactly that, after using those pads. :eek:

Anyway, your thoughts, options and prices would be much appreciated. Hope one day to move up to monster rotors, but not enough bling yet.

Any other tricks, tips or ideas for better braking performance is greatly appreciated. Thanks Todd!

fastcar:burnout:

Todd TCE
11-28-2007, 08:25 PM
While I don't do oem replacements I have a hard time suggesting any replacement other than Hawk HPS for normal day to day use. No clue if you have them available for you car however...

fastcar
11-28-2007, 08:28 PM
While I don't do oem replacements I have a hard time suggesting any replacement other than Hawk HPS for normal day to day use. No clue if you have them available for you car however...

Thanks Todd. I now understand you are a brake snob! :P Seriously, thanks for the tip. I'll see if they are available.

Zack
11-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Ceramix pads from NAPA are the best IMHO

fastcar
11-28-2007, 08:42 PM

Thanks, pal! :beer:

magindat
11-29-2007, 06:19 AM

I agree. I was using Akebono (a brand well known to me from my ricer days). I recently replaced the worn out fronts (48K miles) with top of the line Ceramix from NAPA and they work great!

May I also suggest (if affordable): Stainless lines and a brake fluid flush.

fastcar
11-29-2007, 07:26 AM
I agree. I was using Akebono (a brand well known to me from my ricer days). I recently replaced the worn out fronts (48K miles) with top of the line Ceramix from NAPA and they work great!

May I also suggest (if affordable): Stainless lines and a brake fluid flush.

Very good suggestions. Do you have stainless? Where and how much. Thank you, my friend.

ckadiddle
11-29-2007, 07:27 AM
I have been running the Hawk High Performance Street pads with stock system for a while now, ever since the stock pads wore out. They worked well with the stock rotors and also work well with the Command rotors that I have on currently. Drag raced at MVIV running back to back as quickly as I could loop around. Multiple hard braking from 95mph with no fading at all. They squeaked a good bit when they were really hot, but the noise went away as soon as they cooled.

Once in a great while the pads will get intermittent squeaking, then I take them out for a little "exercise" and they are quiet again. Most of my driving is local city driving under 35 mph so the Hawk pads just don't get enough excitement in their lives.

fastcar
11-29-2007, 07:57 AM
They squeaked a good bit when they were really hot, but the noise went away as soon as they cooled.

Thanks for the suggestion. Seems everyone that uses the HPS get squeaking. I searched about them. Also, after searching the forums, I have decided to go with Wagner ThermoQuiets. Seem they have excellent fade resistance, and NEVER squeak.

Siege
11-29-2007, 08:06 AM
I can't recommend the Wagner ThermoQuiets to anyone looking for increased braking performance. They are however very quiet and brake as well as OEM pads.

I'm using Hawk HPS now and am just as happy with them on this big car as I was with them on my Notchback for street use.

I only wish that Porterfield made pads for these cars since their R4S is one of the best street pads I've ever used.

fastcar
11-29-2007, 08:28 AM
I can't recommend the Wagner ThermoQuiets to anyone looking for increased braking performance. They are however very quiet and brake as well as OEM pads.

I'm using Hawk HPS now and am just as happy with them on this big car as I was with them on my Notchback for street use.

I only wish that Porterfield made pads for these cars since their R4S is one of the best street pads I've ever used.

You had fade with them? (wagners)

fastcar:confused:

Local Boy
11-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Ceramic NAPA pads Brutha...

They are GREAT!!!

No dust...No noise...No problems...

ALOHA

ctrlraven
11-29-2007, 10:49 AM

I would agree, thanks again for recommending them! Couldn't be happier with them and will use the on my other vehicles when theirs needs replacing.

Siege
11-30-2007, 07:23 AM
You had fade with them? (wagners)
Nope, no fade problems with them. Like I said, they're OEM quality pads that offer OEM performance.

Since you're looking for better performance I would look into the other suggestions here.

FWIW, I've never used NAPA Ceramix pads but after doing some research I found lots of positive press about them.

Cobra25
11-30-2007, 07:39 AM
I also replaced my Brake pad's with the NAPA Ceramix Pads: Part #s - Front CMX-7834( $82.00) ,Rear# CMX-7835 ($79.00). I did mine in January 2006. They are very good Pads.

fastcar
11-30-2007, 07:56 AM
Doing more research on 'Napa Ceramix' pads. I'm hearing that they are repackaged Raybestos QuietStop pads. Don't care about the name, just trying to get to the bottom of this. Anyone use Raybestos QuietStops before? Anyone if they are the same???

magindat
11-30-2007, 08:06 AM
Very good suggestions. Do you have stainless? Where and how much. Thank you, my friend.

Since this is Todd's forum, ask him first. I'm sure he has a kit. If not, Try DR. It has been over a year, but mine (KVR) were about 200-ish for the set of 4.

fastcar
11-30-2007, 08:15 AM
BTW,

Wagner ThermoQuiets are formulated with ceramic, as well:

http://www.federal-mogul.com/en/AftermarketSolutions/SouthAmerica/BrakingSolutions/Products/BrakePads-Shoes/WagnerPassengerVehicle/Wagner+ThermoQuiet+Brake+Pads+ and+Shoes/

I've been doing some research. Seems that 'ceramic' brakes have 10-20 ingredients in them, and it's not that they are like a block of hard white China as I imagined.:lol: Ceramics are but an additive.It would be more accurate to describe 'ceramic pads' as 'ceramic fortified pads'. Some pads use more than others. Nearly half of all OEMs use ceramic as a major component in their brake pads. Hmm. Interesting...

Cobra25
11-30-2007, 09:06 AM
The NAPA Pads are called" Carbon Ceramic Pad's ", they work very well. As too who makes them it doesn't really matter much as long as they are good Pads which they are.
Doing more research on 'Napa Ceramix' pads. I'm hearing that they are repackaged Raybestos QuietStop pads. Don't care about the name, just trying to get to the bottom of this. Anyone use Raybestos QuietStops before? Anyone if they are the same???

magindat
12-04-2007, 05:43 AM

Since this is Todd's forum, ask him first. I'm sure he has a kit. If not, Try DR. It has been over a year, but mine (KVR) were about 200-ish for the set of 4.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40174

There ya go!!!!

fastcar
12-04-2007, 06:25 AM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40174

There ya go!!!!

Thanks Magindat,

Very neighborly of you!

fastcar;)

fastcar
12-05-2007, 06:32 AM
Just measured my pad thickness:

RF: .163 (thinest one)

LF: .183 (thinest one)

Seems low, but not sure what Mercury spec is. Anyone know?

Also, are they bonded, or do they have rivets?

magindat
12-05-2007, 06:45 AM
Bonded. I never seen rivets on any of mine.

Get a helper.

Ask the helper to drive the car and panic stop.

Bite the bullet!!! Get the Napa Ceramix. Get the SS lines from Todd and get some good brake fluid (I think Valvoline scored well for off-the shelf brands).

Put on your new pads and lines. Flush the system (with your helper) through all 4 bleed ports (get the quart size of fluid) and then go bed the pads in. When you're all done ask the helper to do the same panic stop and watch their face.

Have a beer, for you know you've done well. :D

Todd TCE
12-05-2007, 07:04 AM
Get the SS lines from Todd and get some good brake fluid :D

And mentioned elsewhere that I have a couple more sets of these now- just in time for holiday gift giving! Too yourself even!!

One set ready, hoses in process for another half dozen.

fastcar
12-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Bonded. I never seen rivets on any of mine.

Get a helper.

Ask the helper to drive the car and panic stop.

Bite the bullet!!! Get the Napa Ceramix. Get the SS lines from Todd and get some good brake fluid (I think Valvoline scored well for off-the shelf brands).

Put on your new pads and lines. Flush the system (with your helper) through all 4 bleed ports (get the quart size of fluid) and then go bed the pads in. When you're all done ask the helper to do the same panic stop and watch their face.

Have a beer, for you know you've done well. :D

And mentioned elsewhere that I have a couple more sets of these now- just in time for holiday gift giving! Too yourself even!!

One set ready, hoses in process for another half dozen.

Guys, thanks. I really appreciate it. BELIEVE ME, I want the lines. I know you can feel the difference, and the price is right. I just can't do it yet. I bought the car in the spring and put $1500 into it this summer on mods. Can't spend a nickel I don't have to at this point. Only what it needs. No mods allow until spring :nono:

I'm guessing .163" is low, so, in the spring I'll replace the pucks with the Napa (Raybestos) or the Wagner.

Just found out my door hinge is going. Argh... More $$$