PDA

View Full Version : transmission Cooler WARNING!

ts-pa
11-30-2007, 09:49 PM
OK, another update & WARNING...

I found out that Ford requires the replacement of transmission cooler when a trans fails. Tran’s failure is not only where operation is inhibited, but also described as anytime particles of clutch material or particles of metal are found, or discolored fluid indicating scorched clutch materials. The reason is that the 170 deg. Flow Control Valve prevents proper flushing of the cooler.

See these pics, numbered 31 through 35, for details.
http://pasig.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=a lbum08&id=FULL_VIEW_BACKSIDE_LABELLED

The current cooler part number is YW1H-3F479-AC, previously YW1H-3F479-AA & YW1H-3F479-AB. The replacement appears to be very easy. I will swap it tomorrow morning.
Contact Ray, "TheDealer" for a fair price on this item.

Also learned from Darrin...Do not ever put anything into a Torque Converter other than Mercon V in efforts to clean it! For example, Safety-clean or Brake Cleaner, these will dissolve the glue backing from the Lock Up Clutch material. In addition, these fluids are NOT compatible with Mercon V. When you run the transmission, the fluid and particles will foul up your new trans. The proper way to clean a TC is to have it machine flushed at a dealer or send it to mfg. to be cut open for service.

The main lessons that I learned from this is to always replace the cooler at the same time as the rebuilt trans is put into service. Also, replace the torque Converter or have it properly flushed if you intend to re-use it. Otherwise, you may risk potential contamination of the clean trans. This is where the application of the Magnafine filter is being used to try to alleviate said contamination.

I hope that this info will help others when they face a trans repair. Darrin has been extremely patient and helpful with his knowledge & experience. I highly recommend that you contact him with your specific trans needs.
http://www.bc-automotive.com/html/contact_us.html (http://www.bc-automotive.com/html/contact_us.html)

Marauderjack
12-01-2007, 05:07 AM
Most folks would overlook this part of a transmission replacement....I would have until I bought my 04 Dodge RAM 1500!!:confused:

I changed the trans fluid after I got it and inside the tranny is a small spin on oil filter (half the size of an FL-820) that is there to trap debris and prevent it from getting to the cooler in the event of a catastrophic failure......a VERY GOOD idea if you ask me!!:beer:

Marauderjack:burnout:

KillJoy
12-01-2007, 06:25 AM
You can also just flush the Trans w/ a specific cleaner.

Both Ford and NAPA carry these.

:up:

KillJoy

Zack
12-01-2007, 07:19 AM
I use compressed air to clean out the lines/cooler.

ts-pa
12-01-2007, 06:58 PM
I use compressed air to clean out the lines/cooler.

This is the practice, along with using a specific spray cleaner, does work on a trans cooler that doe NOT have the flow control valve. If you have that valve, you only cleaned the lines to & from the cooler. From what I understand, the valve does not open until the fluid temp gets to about 170 degrees. This valve allows the trans to get up to temp before allowing fluid into the cooler.

When you take the cover off from on top of the radiator area, you can see this valve very easily. It will be between the battery & the radiator. It will look like this (http://pasig.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=a lbum08&id=170DEG_FLOW_CONTROL_VALVE).

I thought I read somewhere that Ford started using the Cooler with the Valve from around 1998 to present. Obviously on coolers that are external to the radiator.

The cooler replacement is an added expense to a trans swap, but cheap insurance knowing that it is clean. It lists for about $190, but you can get it for about $140 online.

ts-pa
12-01-2007, 06:59 PM
You can also just flush the Trans w/ a specific cleaner.

Both Ford and NAPA carry these.

KillJoy

Please elaborate, what cleaners & methods used?

burt ragio
12-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Why can't the trans thermostat valve just be removed and cleaned along with the trany cooler blown out and reasembled ?

ts-pa
12-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Why can't the trans thermostat valve just be removed and cleaned along with the trany cooler blown out and reasembled ?

I don't see why it is not possible, but how is this done?

I will have the old one apart soon to see what is inside the valve.

burt ragio
12-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Just remove the c-clip and the thermostat valve should slide out.

ts-pa
12-01-2007, 09:54 PM
I imagine that there is a spring of some sort, right? Even if you can take it apart, how do you go about cleaning it?

burt ragio
12-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Clean it by air pressure and visual.

ts-pa
12-01-2007, 10:08 PM
I'm referring to the cooler, one of the tubes will be in the bore pretty deep. How do you get to it to spray cleaner or air?

KillJoy
12-02-2007, 06:55 AM
Please elaborate, what cleaners & methods used?

Go to you local NAPA or Ford Parts Dept. Ask for a can of Trans Flush (not sure of the Brand).

Connect a rubber hose from one of the Trans Cooler lines to a catch bucket. You connect the aerosol can to the other line of the cooler. You spray until empty.

You will see the color of the fluid coming out of the drain tube change fro brown / red to clear.

KillJoy

ts-pa
12-04-2007, 01:04 AM
Here (http://pasig.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=a lbum16&id=IMG_1547_labelled) are a few pics with descriptions of this device. Hit "full size" if you can't read the labels in the photograph. Then next to see the other pics.

RF Overlord
12-04-2007, 01:43 PM
ts-pa, those are excellent pix, especially the first one that diagrams the flow.

Thanks!!!!

ts-pa
12-04-2007, 07:33 PM
ts-pa, those are excellent pix, especially the first one that diagrams the flow.

Thanks!!!!

No problem, I thought that I would get "flamed" for poorly using "paint brush". I work well with CAD files, not pictures. LOL!

lifespeed
12-09-2007, 12:02 PM
Good pics, thanks. The thermostatic/bypass valve is essential. How else can you have big cooler capacity, while not freezing your trans in cold weather.

I'll start an F250 cooler install thread so as not to hijack yours.

ts-pa
01-16-2008, 10:23 AM
One evening we went to a local park that has a Christmas light display. We were traveling about 3-5mph for 20 mins. Suddenly we got an overwhelming smell, something like burnt grease.

Even though it was 26°F, I overheated my trans fluid and is was released through the trans vent.

Turns out to be from a combination of conditions: The setup was Darrin's built trans, 3000 PI TC, OEM cooler just replaced, second trans cooler not installed yet, and fluid level was slightly over the cross hatch on trans dipstick. When I checked, it was so close that it didn't seem worth draining some off. The slow speed for such a long time plus the above conditions was definatley a factor.

Cleaned the car off, driven it for several days, various conditions, including 1/2 throttle, no leaks anywhere.

Shora
01-16-2008, 10:38 AM
One evening we went to a local park that has a Christmas light display. We were traveling about 3-5mph for 20 mins. Suddenly we got an overwhelming smell, something like burnt grease.

Even though it was 26°F, I overheated my trans fluid and is was released through the trans vent.

Turns out to be from a combination of conditions: The setup was Darrin's built trans, 3000 PI TC, OEM cooler just replaced, second trans cooler not installed yet, and fluid level was slightly over the cross hatch on trans dipstick. When I checked, it was so close that it didn't seem worth draining some off. The slow speed for such a long time plus the above conditions was definatley a factor.

Cleaned the car off, driven it for several days, various conditions, including 1/2 throttle, no leaks anywhere.

I don't like the sound of that. 3-5 mph for 3 hours still should not over heat your TM fluid imo even if it is ever so slightly over filled.

Do you have a Scan Gauge 2, an Aeroforce Gauge, or any type of transmission fluid temp gauge? I really want to know how hot exactly your fluid got to cause it to over heat like that.

Also, are you going to have a full transmission fluid flush now? Perhaps your fluid lost some of its cooling properties now that it over heated.

ts-pa
01-16-2008, 10:58 AM
No gauges yet. Since this event has not been repeated, the "over heat & release" was just the only thing that made sense. The fluid doesn't have a burnt odor, and is still bright red. The event occured within 2 miles of home. I have driven it on a couple of occasions (when weather is clear) without any signs of fluid anywhere.
My first fear was that the tailshaft seal leaked. Then I thought that the forced lube may have a loose fitting.

When I say fluid leaked out, it appeared to be a very small quantity, maybe a cup or so.

I don't like the sound of that. 3-5
mph for 3 hours still should not over heat your TM fluid imo even if it is ever so slightly over filled.

Do you have a Scan Gauge 2, an Aeroforce Gauge, or any type of transmission fluid temp gauge? I really want to know how hot exactly your fluid got to cause it to over heat like that.

Also, are you going to have a full transmission fluid flush now? Perhaps your fluid lost some of its cooling properties now that it over heated.