PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Flush, Change Filter ?

03mara300b
12-03-2007, 06:19 AM
I have an 03 43,500 miles. Purchased at 41,344 . No service records were available. The trans fluid looks very clean. I am going to have a flush done at the dealership. The question is should I have the pan dropped and the filter changed before the flush? Is it necessary? Thanks for any info in advance.

RF Overlord
12-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Technically, no; the transmission filter isn't as critical as the motor oil filter, and doesn't need changing as often, but since you have no records I would go ahead and change it now, that way you know the filter is fresh and won't need changing again. While you're at it, add a drain plug to the pan...drain-and-fill 4 quarts at every other oil change and you'll never need to have it flushed again, either.

Another good reason for changing the filter now is that having the pan off allows the technician to evaluate the condition of the transmission. He can see if there's excessive sludge on the magnet, or excessive clutch material in the bottom of the pan.

jgc61sr2002
12-03-2007, 05:30 PM
What RF said. I would also change the trans filter.

Marauderjack
12-04-2007, 05:29 AM
Also, if the "Lollypop" is in the pan you know it has never been dropped...if not it has been serviced somewhere along the way!!:D

Changing fluids too often is NEVER bad!!:beer:

Marauderjack:burnout:

rauder775
12-08-2007, 02:07 PM
...what they said, yep, change it, flush it, & the filter and "Uhaul pan" w/ drain plug. Then, you're set for life!

JimmyXR7
12-30-2007, 11:24 AM
I have an 03 43,500 miles. Purchased at 41,344 . No service records were available. The trans fluid looks very clean. I am going to have a flush done at the dealership. The question is should I have the pan dropped and the filter changed before the flush? Is it necessary? Thanks for any info in advance.

Just dropped the trans pan yesterday at 49,900 miles, fluid looked good and magnet was loading up. The filter bumped the magnet on the left side so ignore that side. However, when I dropped it at 30,000 miles the sludge had fully loaded up the magnet and was over to the 'C' in Metric. I purchased my MM at 28,600 miles and do not know how the previous driver drove. Jim

Marauderjack
12-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Just dropped the trans pan yesterday at 49,900 miles, fluid looked good and magnet was loading up. The filter bumped the magnet on the left side so ignore that side. However, when I dropped it at 30,000 miles the sludge had fully loaded up the magnet and was over to the 'C' in Metric. I purchased my MM at 28,600 miles and do not know how the previous driver drove. Jim

Normal gear wear loads the magnet pretty well for the first 60K miles or so and then it slacks off!!:beer: I have a friend that rebuilds transmissions and he said the gear sets we have is our cars are virtually indestructible (within reason).....he's seen them with 300K on them and still OK!!:bows:

Get yourself a pan with a drain plug and change 4 quarts of fluid every 15K miles or so and don't worry about the filter or magnet again!!:D

Marauderjack:burnout:

ta3mo3
01-01-2008, 03:42 AM
what is the stock number for the trans filter & The gasget?

what is the recommneded oil type?

fastblackmerc
01-01-2008, 06:06 AM
what is the stock number for the trans filter & The gasget?

what is the recommneded oil type?

Has anyone heard of the search function?

Do you have an owners manual?

ta3mo3
01-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Has anyone heard of the search function?
not yet :)

Do you have an owners manual?
no i don't have

RF Overlord
01-02-2008, 07:33 AM
The Motorcraft filter number is FT-105. You don't need a new gasket as the factory pan gasket is designed to be re-used.

The correct fluid is Mercon V only.

JimmyXR7
01-04-2008, 08:46 AM
The Motorcraft filter number is FT-105. You don't need a new gasket as the factory pan gasket is designed to be re-used.

With the re-useable gasket and the cross frame ledge, changing the trans filter and cleaning the magnet is relatively easy in my MM. That is compared to my big block 68 cougar. The C6 trans pan in the cougar must hold 6 quarts.

The key is to have a catch pan that is larger than the transmission pan is wide. The catch pan sides should be high enough to hold approximately 6 quarts. That capacity has the sides to catch splashes and allow movement of the pan without splashing the old fluid out.

The re-useable gasket saves alot of time scraping off the old gasket and re-setting the new one. The cross frame ledge allows the rear of the pan to be lowered without it dropping suddenly and causing a big splash with the associated mess. The magnet is also a big help as the metallic sludge collects there for easy clean up. On my '68 cougar I have to clean the whole trans pan which takes more time.

When I was done I added 4 1/2 quarts Vavoline Mercon V full synthetic trans fluid.

In summary, I like the improvements to the trans filter change that have occurred over the years which allow the fluid to stay clean.

PM me if you want more details and tips on the possible problems with doing it yourself.
Jim

JimmyXR7
09-05-2011, 06:46 AM
74,609 miles - just dropped the trans pan this weekend, fluid looked good and the magnet was loaded up about the same as at 49,900 miles. No metal pieces so I am relieved. Looks like the pan drop at 25,000 miles works for how I drive. At 30,000 miles the trans was having problems at the 2 to 3 shift at WOT, so I do not want to wait that long. Jim

screamn
09-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Go with an Art Carr pan.....aluminum deep sump pan, 2 extra qrts.of fluid, with cooling fins, plus drain plug built in.

Functional & pretty!!!

Instead of the u-haul pan use the funds & get an Art Carr.

Ozark Marauder
09-05-2011, 08:41 AM
Bought mine with 59,000...had no records....had ALL fluids and filters changed. Flushed and replaced the filter...tech said the magnet was loading up a bit...everything else was fine. Had the dealer give the car a total once over check of everything, total cost 360.00, including parts and labor. Didn't want any surprises.........first thing to go.....LCM

NXSBOB
09-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Draining trans oil is easy, just remove factory drain plug. Filling is the hard/messy part, it has to be pumped in since no trans dipstick (normal car way to fill).

MyBlackBeasts
09-05-2011, 09:25 AM

The reusable gasket is one of the best things Ford has done in 100 years!!! Been using them for a while on semi engines and glad to see the cross to the auto world! :):)

fastblackmerc
09-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Draining trans oil is easy, just remove factory drain plug. Filling is the hard/messy part, it has to be pumped in since no trans dipstick (normal car way to fill).

Have you looked at your MM lately?

MM's did NOT come with a drain plug in the tranny pan.

The transmission dipstick / fill tube is in the "normal" location.

BTW... there is NO drain plug for the converter either.

NXSBOB
09-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Oops. was thinking of my Aviator that I was changing oil on yesterday. :confused:

tbone
09-05-2011, 10:00 AM
My wife's Explorer has a sealed tranny and the owner's manual says it doesn't need to be changed until 150k. Any opinions on this?

Phrog_gunner
09-05-2011, 10:03 AM

:eek: WOW!! :eek: