PDA

View Full Version : Hand wash or Car Wash?

DetroitMarauder
12-08-2007, 03:41 AM
I gave up washing cars by hand back in the 80's.

Anyone still wash their babies by hand?

I prefer to use my local car wash. They do a better job in 4 mins than I can do in 47 mins.

Quick story:

I drove my MM to my local car wash place for the first time and the place was under new ownership.

All the guys that used to work there when I used to bring my Lincoln in there were gone... :(

Anyways there was a kid there (probably 22 or 24) that I had to pay and I told him, "gimme the works".

The kid says, "Holy crap, Nice car".

I said, "Thanks, I'm pretty happy with her"

The kid beams, "I'll bet man." As he walks around checking my Black Beauty out.

I make my way to the entrance of the car wash and go through.

But his response to my car made me think...

He see's fine cars all day long, seven days a week... and he was actually impressed with my MM.

I know he was sincere, cause he grabbed a freind to check my car out and they followed my baby down the line of the car wash.

I don't know about you guys or gals, but that has never happened to me in any other car I've owned.

So is using a car wash bad or good?

I say good... kinda feel like a Rock Star :D

davidholland
12-08-2007, 04:50 AM
I quess it depend on your luck, my 01 GM received a massive hood scratch from a car wash. Once I brought the MM I swore she would never get anything but hand washed and in 3 years and 7 months thats the only way she has ever been cleaned.

Bluerauder
12-08-2007, 05:47 AM
Anyone still wash their babies by hand?
I prefer to hand wash mine and follow it up with a coat of wax and polish. I can do a much better job than any carwash ... especially with the harder to reach areas on the lower front fascia, wheel wells, wheels, exhaust tips, the groove that runs around the entire car.

In a pinch and when the weather turns colder, I will take it in for a quick carwash and I watch it like a hawk the entire time that it is out of my hands.

sailsmen
12-08-2007, 05:50 AM
I hand washed my car every Sat am until Katrina. Then went the carwash route.

June of '06 detailed and Zaino. Went back to carwash.

2 months ago I started to detail it. The acumulated dirt on the rocker panels, door jams, fender wells, exterior seams, weather stripping, trunk and hood lips was amazing.

At first glance the car looks shiney and clean, but it is not.

If you saw how dirty the rags and the water in the bucket was from me detailing it you would be amazed.

Car washes only clean the large easy to reach and see surfaces.

I have 2 hairline scratches on my roof and one on my trunk lid from car washes drying the car.

If you go the car wash route you should hand wash every other month.

cyclopsram
12-08-2007, 05:52 AM
Be sure to use the no touch car wash.... And the folks who check out cars in the fancy car washes are the first to come and check them at midnight...my opinion...I only use the self serve no touch drive thru and towel dry out back afterwards.

MarauderMark
12-08-2007, 06:09 AM
I allways wash ny hand and use Mothers showtime afterwards .Never needs waxing.
The tips turned golden when i use mothers polish so i don't really clean them and beside i'm going to instal the 4" tips soon= http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26960

RedMerc04
12-08-2007, 10:38 AM
I used to go the car wash route but only in the winter but I always do it myself now. Car washes damage the clear coat and simply cannot clean areas such as fender wells, exhaust tips, etc.. Okay in a pinch such as when your car is covered in salt but other than that dont bother... JMHO

bugsys03
12-08-2007, 11:23 AM
IMO the no touches leave a film of dirt on the car that you just grind into the paint when you towel it off. Of course a brush wash will do a better job if you can live with the fine scratches it puts in the clearcoat. Then you have to wax them out. If the car is your every day driver I guess you have to live with one or the other:(. Who has time to hand wash every week? Thank goodness my car isnt my daily driver and she has never seen a car wash ever:)

larryo340
12-08-2007, 05:13 PM
There is a self-service car wash nearby me. The power washer is good for the wheel wells and undercarriage. I use it unless it too cold, then it goes thru car wash.

DetroitMarauder
12-08-2007, 05:54 PM
And the folks who check out cars in the fancy car washes are the first to come and check them at midnight...

That's kind of what I thought too... But I honestly believe the kid just liked my baby. I guess it really doesn't matter, our pride and joys can be stolen anytime anywhere, there is alot of *******s in the world.

The car wash I go to is brushless, but they really do an amazing job. Naturally they miss the hard to reach places but usually I just grab a towel and it takes me about 3 mins to clean anything that they missed.

I never noticed any scratchs or such when I brought my Lincoln to the place and I went there for 10 years. I would have noticed something cause I waxed my old black baby 3 times a year and I kept a mental record of any flaws she had.

Maybe I just lucked out that a decent car wash place is close to my house.

Don't get me wrong, on a nice Saturday Morning I will on some occassions hand wash, but it's just for fun. :)

Local Boy
12-09-2007, 08:57 AM
I always wash by hand...gives me a chance to go over her for check ups...

Besides, I believe car washes use recycled water...Not for me...

ALOHA

bugsys03
12-09-2007, 09:30 AM
I gave up washing cars by hand back in the 80's.
:D

Your sig says you are 41. You didnt wash too many cars by hand did you?;)

xopher
12-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Be sure to use the no touch car wash.... And the folks who check out cars in the fancy car washes are the first to come and check them at midnight...my opinion...I only use the self serve no touch drive thru and towel dry out back afterwards.
Ditto. Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Clay Bar and NXT TechWax once a month and touchless only car washes once a week or so. I don't trust anyone but me laying a finger or fiber on the clear coat. It also ensures there's no one to blame but me when it gets effed up.

jonroe
12-09-2007, 10:06 AM
I prefer to hand wash mine and follow it up with a coat of wax and polish. I can do a much better job than any carwash ... especially with the harder to reach areas on the lower front fascia, wheel wells, wheels, exhaust tips, the groove that runs around the entire car.

In a pinch and when the weather turns colder, I will take it in for a quick carwash and I watch it like a hawk the entire time that it is out of my hands.

Pretty similar for me too. I will wash by hand if I can make the time and if the weather will work (like above 32F). But, if it needs a wash and I can't do it, I figure getting the wash is better than not. When I lived in Minneapolis I washed cars down below 20F (in the sun of course!). You have to be REAL quick on the chamois at those temps and then get it in the garage.

duhtroll
12-09-2007, 10:22 AM
I'm "only" 37 and I did my fair share of hand washing cars in the 80s. It was the only way I was allowed to drive them until I had enough money for my own.

Your sig says you are 41. You didnt wash too many cars by hand did you?;)

Jolly Roger
12-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Car washes are good for wheel scratches and other strange marks that were not there before, no thanks.
It's hard to get the personel touch from the car wash personel, especially on a busy day.
And after all, no one is going to treat your baby the way you do.;)

Aren Jay
12-09-2007, 01:43 PM
touchless drive through and then grab a towel and take off anything that didn't come off in the blast of water.

Marylandrauder
12-09-2007, 02:40 PM
;)Back in the day I ran a car wash in Brooklyn-I ALWAYS wash my own car.

jgc61sr2002
12-09-2007, 04:37 PM
I always wash my cars by hand. :D

Marauderman
12-09-2007, 05:08 PM
As my good friend "fastblackmerc" would say---Its hand wash only--from "Mr. Clean" no dry system=---believe me--the only way to go----------looks clean and shows like its just been waxed........-

quota
12-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Hand wash only for the MM.
Mixing hand wash and car wash for the MGM. Often hand drying it after car wash...

JP

407MARAUDER
12-09-2007, 08:14 PM
a hand wash is the best way to go. I scratched my left front wheel in a touchless car wash. THe touchless car wash also uses very harsh chemicals that will leave a film on your car.