PDA

View Full Version : Installing F250 or large aftermarket trans cooler

lifespeed
12-09-2007, 12:06 PM
I'm wondering about installing an F250 or large aftermarket transmission cooler. My reason is towing, but some hotrodders with high-stall converters might benefit.

I have heard the F250 cooler can be installed in a Marauder. Has anybody done this? Good, reliable, leak-free mounting and hose connections are a must, as is a thermostatic valve so the large cooler does not over-chill the trans on cooler days. Does the F250 cooler include such a valve? Apparently the Marauder cooler does, but it is a bit small.

Please post any comments or experiences with large trans coolers.

Lifespeed

MACFORD88
12-09-2007, 12:25 PM
What Kind Of Cooler?4r100 Trans Of Torqshift?

Local Boy
12-09-2007, 12:43 PM
I just installed a B&M Hi-Tech cooler w/ fan in my MM...Just installed a 3,500 stall TC...and needed the extra cooling, due to heat from the TC...

It fit perfectly were the horns used to be...The radiator cover fit also with no modifications...BEAUTIFUL!!!

It probably is not as large as the one you intend to use...where do you intend to put it?

ALOHA

lifespeed
12-09-2007, 02:51 PM
It fit perfectly were the horns used to be...The radiator cover fit also with no modifications...BEAUTIFUL!!!
It probably is not as large as the one you intend to use...where do you intend to put it?ALOHA

In front of the AC condensor, I think is the usual location. Doesn't add much heat to the cooling airflow unless conditions are extreme.

Lifespeed

Zack
12-09-2007, 02:58 PM
I just installed a B&M Hi-Tech cooler w/ fan in my MM...Just installed a 3,500 stall TC...and needed the extra cooling, due to heat from the TC...

It probably is not as large as the one you intend to use...where do you intend to put it?

ALOHA

I dont agree with the fan, it is overkill and not necessary :D

Transmission fluid that is too cool is bad!

Local Boy
12-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Hawaii weather, my friend....It can get HOT in traffic, when the trade winds are not blowing (Kona winds)...

I have the fan on a switch, as a safety feature... as the trans temp. rises (autometer gauge)...the fan is utilized... No temps. above 180*= No fan...

I like being able to adjust for extreme temps....

ALOHA

Zack
12-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Just keep in mind that the fan and shroud will prohibit the passing of air when it is not in use.

I had fans on my heat exchanger and the temps went down when the fans came off.

Local Boy
12-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the tip, Brutha

Do you think the fan will help cool the AC condensor as well, when on, and in traffic?

Aslo, what are your thoughts as to the effectiveness of the fan when going @ 60mph? I'm thinking that as long as I 'am moving at a good clip...I wouldn't need to use the fan...What you think???

ALOHA

Zack
12-09-2007, 03:37 PM
I think fans are bad.

If you installed a stacked plate cooler (not the tube and fin), just the design of the cooler, even sitting still will dissipate heat.

I beat the snot out of my cars and dont need a fan.
I have a stacked plate and the temps never go above 185

Local Boy
12-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks, Brutha...

I appreciate your thoughts...

ALOHA

Zack
12-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks, Brutha...

I appreciate FACTS...

ALOHA

^^^ Fixed it for you :cool:

Local Boy
12-09-2007, 03:55 PM
OK, Bra...

If that makes you feel better....

ALOHA

magindat
12-10-2007, 06:30 AM
Zack do you run in line with the stock cooler or eliminate it?

Embassy
03-10-2008, 03:56 AM
Zack do you run in line with the stock cooler or eliminate it?

Good question. When installing an aftermarket cooler, would one run it in addition to the factory-installed cooler or as a replacement?

ts-pa
03-10-2008, 08:08 AM
If you run the additional cooler after the stock one, the thermostat valve would hold the fluid from getting too cold. When it would open, you would have the two coolers working together.

Icarus
03-13-2008, 02:33 AM
Long makes a Tru-Cool LPD (4739) cooler that is excellent, thermostat valve, lifetime warranty.
I've had one on the past two cars I've owned and the temps always stayed in check.

jfclancy
03-14-2008, 03:58 PM
OK thanks for pointing out Long trans coolers but why do you go sooo big ?
Is there some advantage to tentimes gvw over say 5 times gvw ?
confused in texas

thanks in advance
Joe Clancy:beer::beer::beer:

Icarus
03-15-2008, 03:47 AM
It keeps the fluid cooler, longer.
It has a thermostatic control on it so it won't over cool either.