PDA

View Full Version : Insurance VIN

Digital Man
12-12-2007, 07:39 AM
Question:

I'm in Ontario and recieved my renewal slips from my insurance company. It reminded me that on my slips the car shows up as a Grand Marquis. I've asked the INS in the past "Why? Cause its a Marauder" and they said thats what the VIN pulls up in their system.

I am concerned that the car is/will not be valued the same if I ever needed to collect on it.

In the Autotrader an 04 GM with 50K KM is going for $14.9K. An 04 MM with 50K km is going for $21K.

Does anyone else show Gand Marquis on their Insurance Slips?

sailsmen
12-12-2007, 07:55 AM
Thats because thats the way the MFG list it.

NO it has nothing to do with what they will pay you.

Assuming Cnada has the same Auto Ins as US your car is insured for Actual Cash Value. A broad definition but essentiall what it cost to replace with the same car in the same condition before the loss.

There are Antique policies that pay up to a pre-agreed upon amount and state Value policies that will not pay more then the State Value.

Zack
12-12-2007, 07:57 AM
All 03's show up as GM's, Ford made a Boo Boo.

Bluerauder
12-12-2007, 08:06 AM
Does anyone else show Gand Marquis on their Insurance Slips?
The 2003 Marauder shared a VIN with the Grand Marquis. The "V" engine code denotes it as a Marauder with the 4.6L DOHC as a performance vehicle. The 2004 Marauder had its own separate VIN.

The insurance companies know what it is. Check the driver/car codes on your policy and you will find that you are being billed for a Performance Vehicle.

I have an '03 MM and the USAA policy clearly shows it as a 2003 Mercury Marauder on all the paperwork including the insurance ID cards. I guess some insurance companies are more "astute" than others. Heck, even my county personal property tax bill identifies it as a Marauder and bills me accordingly. :o

In a kind of automotive "irony", the F-L-M service records pull it up as a Grand Marquis and I have to have them manually write in that it is a "Marauder" in big letters just in case the service tech doesn't notice the difference when he starts it up. :rolleyes:

MACFORD88
12-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Mine Show Mercury Marauder Too.

J D
12-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Might be because you guys have 300Bs, when my first insurance comes in thurs., I'll let you know if I get GM or MM.

Digital Man
12-12-2007, 12:20 PM
I checked with INS again and was told there is a code for Maurader. But my VIN pull up GM. They says this is what the Ministry is showing.

Bluerauder
12-12-2007, 12:46 PM
I checked with INS again and was told there is a code for Maurader. But my VIN pull up GM. They says this is what the Ministry is showing.
I repeat ..... and mention that the "V" is in the VIN's 8th position. For example: VIN Number: 2MEHM75V23X00000. For 2003, the M75 was for a GM. In 2004, it was M79 and Marauder specific.

The 2003 Marauder shared a VIN with the Grand Marquis. The "V" engine code denotes it as a Marauder with the 4.6L DOHC as a performance vehicle. The 2004 Marauder had its own separate VIN.

The insurance companies know what it is. Check the driver/car codes on your policy and you will find that you are being billed for a Performance Vehicle.

Digital Man
12-12-2007, 01:07 PM
But mine's an '04. :snowman:

QWK SVT
12-12-2007, 02:23 PM
When I first got the Marauder ('03 300A), it showed up on the slip as a Grand Marquis... I asked about this, as I was a little worried, too. They (The Personal) assured me it was not a problem, and that the VIN would tell the real story re: what the car is. After the first year, the slips were updated to say Mercury Marauder. :confused:

Bluerauder
12-12-2007, 03:07 PM
But mine's an '04. :snowman:

If yours is an '04 MM it should clearly have the M79 (positions 5,6,7 of the VIN) shown and indicating that it is a Mercury Marauder. Why don't you post up your VIN so we can all see it. I'd seriously be considering switching insurance companies. :rolleyes:

grampaws
12-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Mine is a 2003 and is listed as an MM with the
Ins. company sure bills me for the difference.
it went up from my GM..

Aren Jay
12-13-2007, 09:39 PM
If yours is an '04 MM it should clearly have the M79 (positions 5,6,7 of the VIN) shown and indicating that it is a Mercury Marauder. Why don't you post up your VIN so we can all see it. I'd seriously be considering switching insurance companies. :rolleyes:

On the otherhand Insurance for a GM is cheap. Might be worth it to keep it there.

PS What colour is your 04?

Digital Man
12-17-2007, 01:56 PM
Black ... the only way to go.

Aren Jay
01-12-2008, 08:57 PM
I asked Ford about Marauder's in Canada and they do not have any information that is only for Maruader, they include them as Grand Marquis, with all the other Grand Marquis.

This could be why your insurance pulls up as a Grand Marquis.

ckadiddle
01-14-2008, 08:30 AM
IIRC the 2003 MMs were considered an option for the Grand Marquis. They do not have their own VIN code. My 2003 shows up in Ford's computer system as a 2003 GM. 2004s usually show up as Marauders. When I bought the 2003 about three years ago, my local State Farm agent did already have the Marauder listed seperately in their computer system. I went from a nice 2001 CrownVic LX to a 2003 MM, insurance went up less than ten bucks a month. That's something I can live with. I was really afraid it was going to be an exhorbitant increase, like buying a corvette. I am guessing that it depends on your insurance carrier as to how much they know about the diff between Marauders and other panther platform cars.

Rockettman
01-14-2008, 02:08 PM
Just to add that my '04 came up as a Marauder right off the bat, when I called to insure it.