PDA

View Full Version : Painting my DTR Black. Then modifications.

SmokusMaximus
12-12-2007, 08:57 AM
Ok all it has been confirmed. I am going to paint my MM Jet Black. Then get some graphics painted onto it. Also shortly there after I will be getting my 410s and anything else I can do. If anyone can help me that would be great. The cheaper I find everything the more I can get done.

:banana::banana2:

Zack
12-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Ok all it has been confirmed. I am going to paint my MM Jet Black. Then get some graphics painted onto it. Also shortly there after I will be getting my 410s and anything else I can do. If anyone can help me that would be great. The cheaper I find everything the more I can get done.

Can we see the graphics?
Hopefully you have good taste :rolleyes:

Egon Spengler
12-12-2007, 09:24 AM
With all these mods that everyone does to their Marauders, I am going to leave mine bone stock so that someday it will be one of the only ones left that is stock and will sell for a bunch of money when it is up on the block at a Barrette Jackson auction! That would be quite a long time from now and I probably won't even own the vehicle then anyways!!:geezer: MAYBE I SHOULD START MOD-ING!?!

Master
12-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Why not sell your DTR to someone who loves that colour and just pick up a black? They are cheaper, easier to come by, and you don't ruin a gorgeous DTR.

Go Mifuni
12-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Why not sell your DTR to someone who loves that colour and just pick up a black? They are cheaper, easier to come by, and you don't ruin a gorgeous DTR.

Or trade? :D

TiTo35
12-12-2007, 09:51 AM

Man that sounds UNCOOL...the DTR sit out better then the black ones...

Dragcity
12-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Agreed,

I'll bet there are less than 800 DTR s left out there....

magindat
12-12-2007, 09:54 AM
I'm all for painting a car, however, I do not lik color changes. I like to work the original color into the plan. Examples would be two tone, reverse graphics, reverse pinstriping, etc. That way the car doesn't look color changed under the hood, in the door jambs or trunk.

To each their own. I'm sure it will look good and suit your tastes when finished and that's what counts.

I simply suggest allowing some of the DTR to show through and let folks know her original color...

Pat
12-12-2007, 10:15 AM

I agree with Master, some of the MM's for sale right now are fully modified, black, well cared for and are selling for a song and dance. Sell your car and buy one of these.

A decent full bodied paint job is around 4-6K what is your price?

Local Boy
12-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Ah, The Dark Side calls on another owner...

We have another convert...

BLACK is Beautiful...

ALOHA

vkirkend
12-12-2007, 11:09 AM
As much as I love my Black Marauder and understand why you would want that color, I have to agree with keeping the DTR that color. Swap out, sell and repurchase, just don't make it a hybrid. FWIW....

J D
12-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Welcome to the dark side, but like Magindat said, why not work some of the DTR into it? Just thing a big DTR racing stripe stretching from the back of the front wheel straight back and z turn up and over the rear wheel :drool:

mpearce
12-12-2007, 11:40 AM
You've got a very rare car man...I'd leave the color alone. Just my opinion.

-Mat

dexwarl
12-12-2007, 02:10 PM
I agree with everyone, I am trying to find a DTR and I come across alot of Blacks, so it wouldn't be hard for you to sale yours and get a black one that is well modded.

RR|Suki
12-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Black is the only Marauder colour anyway, do it up man it's your car have at, let haters hate. If I had the money mine might be royal purple right now :D

P.S Having the DTR as a racing stripe could be sexy I do agree with above. Or masking the DTR as the graphics might be sexy too. Either way rare shmare, it's his car.

SmokusMaximus
12-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Wow mixed opinions.

jgc61sr2002
12-12-2007, 06:04 PM
I prefer Black but I wouldn't paint a DTR Marauder Black.

SmokusMaximus
12-12-2007, 07:24 PM
All I know is that i Love wolves. I plan on painting it Jet black and getting a wolf mural on it. In my mind it will be the best car in the world, when I am done with it. I am still making payments on it so I cant trade or sell. Or I would. I recently found a black one in mentor by me but i have no way of trading or selling mine and getting that one. Dont worry when I am done you will all be amazed. As for the mods I could still use the help. Thank you.

Zack
12-12-2007, 07:35 PM
All I know is that i Love wolves. I plan on painting it Jet black and getting a wolf mural on it. In my mind it will be the best car in the world, when I am done with it. I am still making payments on it so I cant trade or sell. Or I would. I recently found a black one in mentor by me but i have no way of trading or selling mine and getting that one. Dont worry when I am done you will all be amazed. As for the mods I could still use the help. Thank you.

I REALLY hope you miss a few payments and the car gets repo'd so its not subjected to a friggin wolf painted on it. :censor:

Here's an idea, buy a real live wolf. When it bites you in the butt, I hope you will reconsider the mural. :shake:

SmokusMaximus
12-12-2007, 07:36 PM
wow man that was ummmm well just plain out rude.

SmokusMaximus
12-12-2007, 07:38 PM
:mad2: :mad:
wow man that was ummmm well just plain out rude.
:puke:

SmokusMaximus
12-12-2007, 07:43 PM
I REALLY hope you miss a few payments and the car gets repo'd so its not subjected to a friggin wolf painted on it. :censor:

Here's an idea, buy a real live wolf. When it bites you in the butt, I hope you will reconsider the mural. :shake:

I mean really WTF.:argue: If you dont like it then dont worry about what i do with my car. I am simply stating what will happen and asking for help with mods. If you dont have any advice on how to help with mods save your two cents.

MarauderMark
12-12-2007, 08:03 PM
I was going to paint mine white as i never saw one that color. well i was told it will drop the value being you change the color( i really don't know about that) but i saw one white today(1st time i saw one close up and the person painted it white from black:puke:awful paint job) as well on here . glad i didn't do that.
also if i had known there were other colors available i would've had a blue or dtr..Good luck in whatever you choose:up:

Zack
12-12-2007, 08:05 PM
no offense.. i hope!

A wolf is more suited to a Winnebago, or the WOODS.

Come on!

hdwrenchtx
12-12-2007, 08:31 PM

sorry but that is some funny stuff right there. :lol:

sailsmen
12-12-2007, 08:43 PM
I think you are pulling our chain.

Either way your signon is right on.:D

Do what you want but since you asked for opinons what you are talking about doing is something a 5 year old talks about doing.

A friend of mine bought a new red Ram P/U, 8 months latter he is bored, so he paints it blue againest my advice. No one and I mean no one would take it on trade or buy it. He had to consign it to a used car lot!

If it makes you happy that is what matters.

Tell us how you plan on using the car and we can help you with the mods.:)

knine
12-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Begining to think DTR means Do This Right.

offroadkarter
12-13-2007, 05:54 AM
Man that sounds UNCOOL...the DTR sit out better then the black ones...

I agree ^

I mean, wtf man :eek: Thats like painting a blue, SB.

MarauderMark
12-13-2007, 06:17 AM
Thats like painting a blue, SB.

or purple or fire engine red or orange or gun metal gray or pea green:)

KillJoy
12-13-2007, 06:46 AM
I think the General Consensus here is that you should leave the DTR, a DTR. If you want a Black, you should have bought a Black.

You can always look to see if another Member would want to trade their Black for your DTR. Talk to the place the loan is through, you never know.

FYI - A QUALITY paint job, w/o any murals, would be $5k+. This number is VERY conservative!

Plan, and budget (over budget) accordingly. There WILL BE added cost SOMEWHERE.

:up:

KillJoy

1of327
12-13-2007, 08:08 AM

I agree, it is the second rarest color...DO NOT PAINT!!!

ckadiddle
12-13-2007, 08:09 AM
................. w/o any murals...........

Dang...If I spend five grand or more on a paint job, you'd better believe there's gonna be pitchers of nekkid wimmins all over it!!!!!;)

sailsmen
12-13-2007, 08:20 AM
You have inspired me.

I am considering painting camo with a grizzly bear. My grizzly bear will wup your wolfe!

This is the suit I have ordered to wear while I am driving my Camo grizzly Bear themed Marauhttp://mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/6/7/2/grizzly.jpg[/IMG]

MarauderMark
12-13-2007, 08:43 AM
:laugh:

You have inspired me.

I am considering painting camo with a grizzly bear. My grizzly bear will wup your wolfe!

This is the suit I have ordered to wear while I am driving my Camo grizzly Bear themed Marauhttp://mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/6/7/2/grizzly.jpg[/IMG]

Good one:)

sailsmen
12-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Would Grizzly beat Batman?

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/6/7/2/MarauderBatmanfrnt.JPG

ImpalaSlayer
12-13-2007, 11:26 AM
You have inspired me.

:rofl: :lol:

High-C
12-13-2007, 02:19 PM
I mean really WTF.:argue: If you dont like it then dont worry about what i do with my car. I am simply stating what will happen and asking for help with mods. If you dont have any advice on how to help with mods save your two cents.

Sorry dude but I'm with Zack on this one... If you paint a **** wolf on a beautiful DTR I might have to repo that car myself... :cool:

knine
12-13-2007, 03:17 PM
I think the General Consensus here is that you should leave the DTR, a DTR. If you want a Black, you should have bought a Black.

:up:

KillJoy
........but I wanted a BLUE.

mpearce
12-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Wow mixed opinions.

You're gettin' raked over the coals man. Before you get pissed though...consider the source(s). You're talking to individuals who are insanely enthusiastic about their car, borderline obsessive. Peeps like that, ain't going to take a wolf mural very well on a car they've come to love over the past few years.

My advice...just sit back and relax. Realize what kind of car you have. Not only is it 1 of 11,052, but it's eve more rare than that. Less than 1000 EVER MADE. That's amazing IMO. Consider yourself lucky to have such a great, and rare car. Save the money on the black paint, and the poor soul that's gotta put a wolf on your ride...and buy some REAL mods for your MM.

You bought the car because it's unique, and fast. All your Marauder wants you to do is love it for what it is, and make it faster. Period.

Good luck.

-Mat

Bobmiddle
12-13-2007, 05:07 PM
$5k-$7k is what you will spend on a good black paint job. You DO NOT want to go cheap on a black paint job. Black will show all flaws and if it is a cheap job it will look like a spray painted POS.
Look at the numbers $6k for paint $200 for cai $400 for tune $450 for 4.10's instaled $750 for tourque converter $230 for UD pullies $450 for Medco arms $1500 for full kooks system and $6k for some Boost.
That is going to be well over $15k so you might as well take that money and pay off your car and sell or trade. This is just the Banker in me talking and giving you a few things to think about.

MM2004
12-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Painting a DTR Black?

No one in their right frame of mind would paint over this color,...

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/9/8/9/MM2004_DTR.jpg

Mike.

TooManyFords
12-13-2007, 06:22 PM
I've followed this thread with interest. I could have quoted some of the members but decided not to. I'm of the opinion that if a car was ever painted, it can always be re-painted back to factory if need be. We all "assume" our cars will be worth something in the future just because there were only 11,000 made. I only agree with this if you can live to be 200. We will NEVER see the car appreciate to a level like we dream about, and the that hang with me call me an optimist. No, in this case I'm a realist.

If you want to paint your car then you should do it! I can also recommend a top-notch paint place to have the car done right, and I had mine done for less than $5K and it has a tri-stage PPG Hot-Hues True Blue Candy on it.

You would never know this car used to be Black:
http://www.cvmusclecars.com/gallery/files/2/JH7L5388_868194.JPG

It can be done, done well and for not a lot of money if you ask around. So you just have to ask yourself, do you want something different and who can help you get what you want! That's what I did!

john

<off-topic alert>
BTW, that picture was taken by my friend David Freiburger, the Editor-And-Chief over at HOT ROD magazine. He sent me several he snapped off during Drag Week and are posted on www.cvmusclecars.com (http://www.cvmusclecars.com) (4-5MB each) and make great wallpaper!
</off-topic alert>

sailsmen
12-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Wow thats a real head turner. Whats your best 1/4 miles time?

TooManyFords
12-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Start a new thread...

hot-rauder
12-13-2007, 07:01 PM
dontpaint.... where are you. how much do you owe. i have a black and would trade/ sell mine to you for how ever much i owe if it is close to yours. please do not paint

RR|Suki
12-13-2007, 07:54 PM
I've followed this thread with interest. I could have quoted some of the members but decided not to. I'm of the opinion that if a car was ever painted, it can always be re-painted back to factory if need be. We all "assume" our cars will be worth something in the future just because there were only 11,000 made. I only agree with this if you can live to be 200. We will NEVER see the car appreciate to a level like we dream about, and the that hang with me call me an optimist. No, in this case I'm a realist.

If you want to paint your car then you should do it! I can also recommend a top-notch paint place to have the car done right, and I had mine done for less than $5K and it has a tri-stage PPG Hot-Hues True Blue Candy on it.

</OFF-TOPIC alert>

Quoted for truth

ImpalaSlayer
12-13-2007, 08:58 PM
man thats one bad ass looking mm tmf

Zack
12-14-2007, 06:05 AM
I bet no one knew Smokimus was planning on Maaco painting his car did they.

TooManyFords
12-14-2007, 07:03 AM
I bet no one knew Smokimus was planning on Maaco painting his car did they.
Why does that matter? Mine was painted at Maaco of Burnsville, MN! But then again, this isn't your run-of-the-mill Maaco either. It's the prep work and the person painting that matters.

:banana:

Zack
12-14-2007, 07:21 AM
Why does that matter? Mine was painted at Maaco of Burnsville, MN! But then again, this isn't your run-of-the-mill Maaco either. It's the prep work and the person painting that matters.

:banana:

I should have clarified....
The $290 Maaco Paint job :eek:

SmokusMaximus
12-14-2007, 08:33 AM
send me a message and we will chat

SmokusMaximus
12-14-2007, 08:50 AM
Ok all.

I did make the mistake of not specifying what I wanted opinions on. I only wanted to get opinions on mods. My bad.

As for the paint job if I want a wolf on my car I will get a wolf on my car. But after speaking with killjoy and realizing the cost of an actual paintjob I declined. Obviously I called Maaco.

I have never really been a big car enthusiest. But now that I own an MM I am. When i first laid eyes on her I was lost, speechless, and whole again. I would like to learn as much about this beautiful piece of machinery as I can.

So we dont get confused again. I am looking for opinions on mods. As I said before I would like to take it on PINKS one day. (MAYBE a drift competition.)

Zack
12-14-2007, 08:56 AM
To each his own, you just caught us all off guard.

Good luck with it.

MM2004
12-14-2007, 10:46 AM
Save your money on a paint job and spend it on go-fast mods...

:cool:

Mike.

offroadkarter
12-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Painting a DTR Black?

No one in their right frame of mind would paint over this color,...

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/9/8/9/MM2004_DTR.jpg

Mike.

All hail DTR, the best color ever made http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/default/Mercury%20Flag.GIF

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e185/offroadkarter/My%20Marauder/PA040020.jpg

hot-rauder
12-14-2007, 03:36 PM
All hail DTR, the best color ever made http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/default/Mercury%20Flag.GIF

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e185/offroadkarter/My%20Marauder/PA040020.jpg

sorry you had an error in your post... ill correct you. BLACK is the best color ever made.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z302/blkmarauder/65410010.jpg