PDA

View Full Version : PCV filter

magindat
12-21-2007, 06:16 AM
Jay,
How does this thing (http://jlttruecoldair.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_in fo&products_id=23) worK?
http://jlttruecoldair.com/zencart/images/PCVfilterpicture.gif

I've been looking for an oil catch can. I think this will work, but I'm curious how it operates. Can I assume trapped mist is dripped back into the valve cover?

I've got my PCV system 'reversed' with my SC install. Metered air is drawn in on the passenger cover and drawn out of the driver's cover through a cobra PCV check valve which keeps boost out of the valve cover. I'm using the main PCV vac port on the upper intake as the vac source.

Ultimately, I want no oil mist entering the upper intake.

Is this part the answer?

As always, thanx for your help!
Rich

Tucker
12-21-2007, 09:56 AM
It's basicly a inline filter, so the oil cought in the filter drains back into the valve cover.
We use a cleanable metal mesh filter made by Ford Motorcraft and used to do this exact job in the 5.0's for the past 20 years. We just designed and built a body to house the filter so we can use it on our DOCH engines.

It won't stop 100% of the oil, nothing will, not even catch cans, but will stop a mojor amount of oil from getting in the intake.

Let me know if I can help you,

Jay

magindat
12-21-2007, 10:07 AM
Gotcha. I've been doing bunches of research on this, so I do understand.

I've even been working on designs of my own.

What's the housing made from?

What percentage of oil would you say gets trapped? I know nothing will be 100%.

Based on using a clear tube and visual guestimates, I'd say my first attempt blocks about 80%, but it's ugly, crude, and causes a major flow restriction nearly sucking the vac hose shut!

Yours is definitely more elegant!

Local Boy
12-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Hey Magindat,

I run that pre-filter + a oil/air separater (Jegs) in series...keeps out most (@95%) of the oil...and it does look more "elegant"...lol

I found that I have to empty the oil/air sepatater @ once a month...gets @ 1/4 full...

The set up works great...

ALOHA

safado
12-22-2007, 12:12 AM
Tucker do you have pictures on how that looks/hooks up on the pass side of a 04 Termee? ...so you can run 2 of them