PDA

View Full Version : 07 Mustang with a new iPhone?

TooManyFords
12-23-2007, 06:32 PM
John,
I bought my son and myself new iPhones for Christmas. I want to be able to mount it in my 07 Mustang and have the in-dash control the iPhone and use the phone side over the car speakers. Is there an interface for this that makes this truly plug and play?

The radio in the Mustang is the Shaker 500 series with the 6-disc built-in changer and Sirius. I like my Sirius so I don't want to lose that. Ford put one of those ghetto "line-in" jacks inside the center arm rest console but I want the radio to seek/scan as if it was a huge MP3 CD and show the text.

I do not want to use an FM translation because I hear that when a call comes in the radio squeals with interference.

Cheers!

john

magindat
12-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Keep dreamin, John!

That's a very specific request and one not likely to be addressed by the aftermarket for some time, if ever.

Even it it were available, chances are you would lose the satellite or the changer as most aftermarket products I have seen use one of those interfaces.

You might consider a portable Pioneer Nav system. It has bluetooth interface with most phones, so that'll give you your hands-free.

I still know of no way to control any MP3 through the radio itself unless as mentioned above.

TooManyFords
12-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Keep dreamin, John!

That's a very specific request and one not likely to be addressed by the aftermarket for some time, if ever.

Even it it were available, chances are you would lose the satellite or the changer as most aftermarket products I have seen use one of those interfaces.

Seeing that the new Mustang is the hottest new musclecar in years and that they have made a TON of them, add to the fact that the iPhone/iPod is probably the most popular MP3 player, I would hazard a guess that this should be a huge success.

I like my satellite radio, but the whole point of the iPhone/iPod is to quit sticking cd's into the changer! I just loaded 3500 songs on my iPhone last night, some 300+ albums or CD's if you wish, and I think this would be a good swap.

So, I don't think this is a pipe dream. I will wait patiently.

Cheers!

John

ckadiddle
12-28-2007, 07:39 AM
This may or may not be helpfull to you..I just don't know enough about how similar the ipod and iphone are to each other. There are some links in the thread that may be a starting point- I am too lazy to read them myself heehee....
http://forums.ipodlounge.com/showthread.php?t=57225

or this
http://mustangforums.com/m_481064/mpage_2/tm.htm

I have no knowledge about ipods, iphones, just googling for ya.

magindat
12-28-2007, 08:14 AM
I agree, Pete. I have no interest in ipod or iphone at all. I simply do what I can for the membership, here and those who I help at home.

TooManyFords
12-28-2007, 09:31 AM
Rich, don't you hate it when you're right? lol!

Looks like I need a new in-dash radio to get what I want. If that is the only route because I have a Sirius factory radio, then I'm more inclined to build another CrPC and get one of those Sirius "Modules" and transfer my lifetime subscription. At that point I just need a simple car Dock/Charger so I can just the cell phone portion and "tether" my CarPC to the Internet through it.

Unless John can come up with some "magic", I will begin spec'ing out the carpc.

magindat
12-28-2007, 09:43 AM
Rich, don't you hate it when you're right? lol!

Looks like I need a new in-dash radio to get what I want. If that is the only route because I have a Sirius factory radio, then I'm more inclined to build another CrPC and get one of those Sirius "Modules" and transfer my lifetime subscription. At that point I just need a simple car Dock/Charger so I can just the cell phone portion and "tether" my CarPC to the Internet through it.

Unless John can come up with some "magic", I will begin spec'ing out the carpc.

John, please keep me in the loop on your carpc project. Perhaps start it's own thread? I have considered, read and researched many times. My hesitation is the boot time. I make plenty of short trips and don't have the patience to see the thing boot right as I get there! Instant gratification, you know!!!