PDA

View Full Version : MP3 adapter for '03/04 MM.

MERCMAN
12-27-2007, 11:48 AM
John, do you carry these or have any idea on how well they work. I am including a URL for reference which you may delete once you have viewed it

http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-328-94-pie-frd03-aux-mercury-auxiliary-input-adapter-2003-2004.aspx

magindat
12-27-2007, 01:25 PM
These things take power and ground from the output of the radio to power the unit, then allow the input of any RCA source in place of the the changer's audio input.

These would be beneficial for folks without a changer. Keep in mind that only your volume and sound controls will work on your radio/SW. All track up/down, etc would be controlled by the device being plugged into the factory radio.

I thought I read a long time ago about an changer interrupt interface for direct factory radio control of ipod. I could be wrong and it was long ago. Further, it's tough to search from work due to firewall restrictions.

magindat
12-27-2007, 01:30 PM
This thing, also made by PIE claims rudimentary ipod control. I have no experience with this, so make sure they have a good return policy.

Installation should take all of 3 minutes, so it's not that big of a deal.

Pops
12-27-2007, 01:54 PM
We are also going to check on this but it will take awhile as people seem to have closed during the holidays. The Consumer Electronics show is in a couple of weeks and if there is new product it will be turn up there.

John

SMOKE
12-27-2007, 02:16 PM
I've seen PIE stuff show up on another forum I've been viewing with regards to a Nissan Murano I just got. The collective over there is pretty tech-savvy....as there isn't a tremendous tuner/speed parts market for this vehicle (or at least it's not what's on their minds). Your link looks like it's points to the same marketplace, except in Nissan-world you would go to nissanipod.com.

Over and over and over again many have used a PIE AAI-NIS2 to tap into their Murano's SAT capable factory head unit for an iPod interface. Many have both SAT and the iPod interface due to the PIE product. Nobody there complains about compatability or quality so they seem like a safe bet.

There is another PIE product making the rounds over on the other forum which a few people are toying with and allows them to drive DVD through the factory NAV-O-TAINMENT screen in the dash. Pretty clever bunch over there...

Hope this helps...I'll be dropping the NIS2 in after I'm done putting the Nissan Sirius tuner in place (thanks to the thing being pre-wired for SAT).

-Jonathan

MERCMAN
12-27-2007, 03:53 PM
I hope John can carry this product if it is any good. I know there should be a "market" for this among the MM owners that have MP3 players/IPODS and OEM sound equipment. If installing it means I won't be able to use the 6 CD changer in the trunk,,,so be it. I can have more music in my IPOD than I could EVER load in the changer. Perhaps John would be interested in a group buy if there is enough interest and it is available for him to purchase???

SMOKE
12-27-2007, 04:15 PM
If installing it means I won't be able to use the 6 CD changer in the trunk,,,so be it. I can have more music in my IPOD than I could EVER load in the changer.

My thoughts exactly...;)

JWM

magindat
12-28-2007, 06:28 AM
I hope John can carry this product if it is any good. I know there should be a "market" for this among the MM owners that have MP3 players/IPODS and OEM sound equipment. If installing it means I won't be able to use the 6 CD changer in the trunk,,,so be it. I can have more music in my IPOD than I could EVER load in the changer. Perhaps John would be interested in a group buy if there is enough interest and it is available for him to purchase???

I have been the guinea pig for so much stuff on this site , I can't even begin to tell ya.

I vote you buy one and try it. It's literally a 15 minute install with no wiring. It's all plugable. If it sux, return it and we'll all benefit from the knowledge. If it works, keep it and tell us about it, and we'll all benefit from the knowledge.

You'll need a $5 set of Ford radio removal keys available at any FLAPS. You'll also need enough common sense to plug stuff in where it fits.

:beer:

Pops
12-28-2007, 07:18 AM
I will have more for you guys on this later. Waiting for info to get to us.

MERCMAN
12-28-2007, 07:39 AM
I have been the guinea pig for so much stuff on this site , I can't even begin to tell ya.

I vote you buy one and try it. It's literally a 15 minute install with no wiring. It's all plugable. If it sux, return it and we'll all benefit from the knowledge. If it works, keep it and tell us about it, and we'll all benefit from the knowledge.

You'll need a $5 set of Ford radio removal keys available at any FLAPS. You'll also need enough common sense to plug stuff in where it fits.

:beer:

With these meathooks, I try not to mess with anything smaller than a claw hammer! :lol:

CRUZTAKER
12-28-2007, 07:57 AM
Super easy install / interface.

I put one in the '06 Focus in less than 40 minutes.

Not to dispose of John, but last summer he wasn't doing this work online.
I went through Crutchfield, $100 to the door with a 6 page manual for my exact car.

It works great!

magindat
12-28-2007, 08:16 AM
Super easy install / interface.

I put one in the '06 Focus in less than 40 minutes.

Not to dispose of John, but last summer he wasn't doing this work online.
I went through Crutchfield, $100 to the door with a 6 page manual for my exact car.

It works great!

Do you have the PIE model number? Curious if CD x-er interface is the same.

Pops
12-28-2007, 08:19 AM
I checked with Lowell and the only one that he found that works on tha Marauder is from Metra and you have to use a separate display.

ledzilla
12-28-2007, 08:46 AM
What about this little dohickey?

http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-424-94-pie-x3-frdw-mercury-models-1995-to-2005-triple-input-auxiliary-interface.aspx

Pops
12-28-2007, 09:12 AM
It looks like it would work but it uses a separate display. What do you think Rich. The price is also good.

magindat
12-28-2007, 09:13 AM
What about this little dohickey?

http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-424-94-pie-x3-frdw-mercury-models-1995-to-2005-triple-input-auxiliary-interface.aspx

Wanna be the first to try?

This is key:

NOTES;

12-PIN CONNECTOR AT HEADUNIT

ledzilla
12-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Actually, I would't mind giving it a whirl, see how it works. Unfortunately my cash is currently being claimed by front end maintenance, and I don't have a warm place to work. If I have enough left over after putting in new shocks/struts and tires, and if no one else does it first, yeah. I'm game.

CRUZTAKER
12-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Do you have the PIE model number? Curious if CD x-er interface is the same.

I checked with Lowell and the only one that he found that works on tha Marauder is from Metra and you have to use a separate display.

John is correct...and I even asked that day. The one in my Focus won't fit the one in the Marauder.

And John...how about a group buy?

I never did order the one for the Marauder.

I want one!

shami02
12-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Guys,

I bought the P.I.E. iPod interface about a year ago, it also requires you purchase an additional wiring harness to make it plug and play, I got both from Crutchfield (like I said about a year ago) and the pair including shipping was right around $100.00. I don't have the part numbers handy, but if there is interest I'll dig into my car parts filing cabinet and get them.

The installation is fairly easy if you have the Ford radio pulling tool (also available at Crutchfield or Wally-world for 5 or 6 bucks). It took me about an hour and a half including time to cut off bit of plastic from behind the factory head unit away using my dremmel, this step is not be required but the adapter harness is very bulky and to get everything to fit and not bind up the wiring I thought it was the better way to go. I just cut part of the corner of plastic housing from the defrost venting (I think that is what it is anyway) be careful not to cut into the vent. There is a lot if extra material in there and removing some makes much more room.

Once the factory head unit is out you unplug all if the wires, plug in the adapter harness and then plug in the P.I.E. unit. find a place for all to extra wiring and slide the radio back into its slot. no fuss and relatively no mess. I put the unit on top of the transmission tunnel behind the console gauge cluster.

Make sure you unplug the factory CD change in the trunk if you don't the MP3 player wont work correctly. I just unplugged the trunk mounted unit and taped the plug up and left both the wire and changer in the car. Just incase I decide to reuse the CD changer in the future.

Once installed you plug the iPod into the new adapter end (the supplied cord is around 6 feet long so there is lots of places you can stash your iPod). The adapter allows control of the iPod and provides power. I ran the wire along the bottom side of the console and sort of jammed it up under the edge of the console, so it doesn't really show. I put the iPod in the center console and run the wire up between drivers side of the console and the drivers seat , you really don't see it unless looking for it. Now on to control....

You take your iPod to your computer and plug it in and create the required playlists on the iPod using the names of FORD1-FORD6 then load your favorite music or whatever into your choice of the FORD(1-6) named playlists.

You can access them as CD1, CD2 and so on from the factory head unit display. To switch to a specific songs within each playlist they are chosen by track up and down bottom and displayed as track1, track2 etc.on each FORD(1-6) playlist. It is kind of funky but functional. There is no way to display to song titles.

You can change the song, or playlist, increase or decrees the volume and switch the iPod on and off from either the head unit controls or the steering wheel controls.

The only bad things I have to say about the adapter are; once plugged in the iPod's controls are disabled, the display reads FORD, locked or something like that and you cannot use any of the iPod's buttons. I can live with this, but it is a pain in the @$$.

Second and probably the worst is; The unit produces a background hum, if you ever wired in new speakers and inadvertently created a ground loop, it sounds just like that. I think the adapter harness created the ground loop, I called Crutchfield and they replaced both parts but I believe it is a design flaw or something inherent to the adapter. I cannot figure out a way to eliminate it and it can be annoying.

The bottom line is the adapter is not perfect, it has its faults but it does function. I drive a lot, and like to listen to audio books when travelling. Prior to this adapter I used a power plug in the cigarette lighter and a cassette adapter, too many wires running around. I also tried the FM transmitter, still had to plug the iPod in somewhere for power and the FM signal would come and go, especially in large metro areas. The P.I.E adapter does hum a little and the display on the factory head unit is kind of funky but it is the best way I have used thus far to hear you iPod through the factory speakers as well as provide power to the unit.

For a cost of around $100 it isn't all that expensive, it provides power to the iPod, the ability to listen to the iPod via the cars audio system as well as change tracks and turn the unit on and off via the factory head unit (or steering wheel) controls. It isn't perfect but it works. If anyone is really interested, I can get the part numbers, and shoot some photos as well as type up more specific installation steps. If you are just let me know.

Happy New Year to All.

CRUZTAKER
02-07-2008, 04:49 PM
And John...how about a group buy?

I never did order the one for the Marauder.

I want one!

Hey John...was this item not worth a group buy?

Spring is just around the corner and I want to integrate the iPod in a fashion a little more upscale than a cassette adapter. :P

I'll call you first regardless.
I'd rather send the cash to you than crutchfield.

Pops
02-07-2008, 04:58 PM
I forgot about this guys! I will go back thru the thread for the part number and do a post at work.

magindat
02-08-2008, 07:38 AM
Shami,
Kick ASS write up!

Couple points:

1) Rather than cut the defroster venting, just cut the back corner off the radio tray. it won't hurt anything at all and there's no risk of inadvertent 'slip' damage. I cut off all the trays for wire clearance when I do Avic installs. Never a problem.

2) If there's a hum, there's a loop somewhere. I theorize that a ground which is normally looped through the changer due to wiring -12v to mounting to the chassis is, of course lifted since the iPod is on no way grounded to chassis. To cure: You may try grounding the actual exterior of the stock head unit chassis. You may also wish to probe the harness for the -12v signal in the former changer/now iPod harness at the stock radio and ground it, thus simulating the factory loop.

Pops
02-08-2008, 11:32 AM
If I have this figured out right it takes to parts from PIE. You will lose your cd changer. We can sell these for 59.95 plus shipping. The part numbers are X3 and X3 Frdw. It is a different part if you do not have a changer. Post up so we see how many of you need these.

John