PDA

View Full Version : big pipes or not

Mattsmerc
08-02-2003, 06:45 PM
I HAVE A BONE STOCK MM. AND I WOULD LIKE TO PUT HEADERS, TRICK SENSORS, AND H-PIPE WITH FLOWMASTERS BREATHING THROUGH 2 1/2 PIPES TO THE TAIL PIPES. THE PIPES ARE 2" BEFORE MUFFLERS AND 2 1/4 AFTER MUFFLER TO TAIL PIPE RIGHT NOW. ANY INPUT WILL BE GREAT
:help:

RF Overlord
08-02-2003, 06:56 PM
mermar:

STOP SHOUTING!

Seriously, it has been said in a couple of threads (do a search) that using big pipes may gain you some HP in the upper revs, but you'll lose a bit down lower, where the DOHC motor is already a little deficient...it had also been said that unless you make major changes to the heads and intake, or install a blower, the stock exhaust system is plenty adequate, so unless you want to change the exhaust SOUND, save your money...

TripleTransAm
08-02-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
...using big pipes may gain you some HP in the upper revs, but you'll lose a bit down lower, ...

Does this apply for bagpipes too? :lol:

RF Overlord
08-02-2003, 07:11 PM
Why are you asking me? I heard SARGE was the one with the big pipe(s)...

D'OH!

Mattsmerc
08-03-2003, 05:16 AM
sorry about the shouting RF, and thanks for your input. all in all i would like to have a throatier sound. you know something to really p--- off the neighbors when you leave at 5:45 in the morning

RF Overlord
08-03-2003, 05:58 AM
You can nice a nice, throatier sound by just replacing the tips with the so-called "pre-production" units, that have no baffling...or so I've been told...(I like the sound of mine the way it is)...another trick is to replace just the mufflers with either RaVin 55s, or FlowMasters (not sure if it's 40s or 50s); Fourth Horseman has FlowMasters, and a fair number of members have the tips, so hopefully they'll chime in...

martyo
08-03-2003, 06:06 AM
The pre-production tips and a few thousand miles make for a nice sound out of the stock pipes. I hear the headers sound sweet too, but I have not heard them yet, but hope to REAL soon!

MSR7878
08-03-2003, 06:28 AM
Just for fun I had my exhaust guy remove the mufflers and put in "eliminator" pipes, That with the stock tips makes for an awesome low RPM rumble and a "scare the neighbors" full throttle roar. I am really enjoying the sound but will bo with Flowmasters when I grow out op the straight pipes

Agent M79
08-03-2003, 07:15 AM
Does loud universally mean lower restriction and thus more power?

Does quiet always mean higher restriction and thus less power?

I like the idea of a MM slipping stealthfully to the line pulling away silently like it was sliding down a steep hill on ice with the opponent huffing hard, scratching his head.

I like sneaky power.

TripleTransAm
08-03-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Agent M79
Does loud universally mean lower restriction and thus more power?

Not necessarily. Lots of performance exhaust systems are tuned to deliver a certain sound, but have no improvements to offer over a stock system. Besides, the term 'power' is deceptive... as RF mentioned, you can gain peak power numbers with open pipes but that peak will be so high up the range and you'll be sad to note how much low end you lost. Overall, I'd say performance suffered in this example.

As a data point, Borla offered a system for the LT1 and LS1 F-bodies where one could tune the amount of exhaust going through a straight pipe and how much would go through the muffler, using some restrictor plates on the open exhaust side. Every single time a comparison was made, the car performed best on the 1/4 mile with a particular restrictor plate (I forget which one) but it just shows how some backpressure was good. And the system was obviously louder without the restrictor...

MSR7878
08-03-2003, 12:01 PM
I probably did lose a little low end, but like I said this is a temporary thing. But you should see people look when I run up my MM, Not the best system, but it sure is alot of fun