PDA

View Full Version : Brake life question

racorcey
12-28-2007, 09:50 AM
I know this can vary all over the place, but I want to ask it anyway....

As my tires were being changed today, I took a cursery look at the brake pads while the wheels were off, and, for 40k miles, I thought they looked rather meaty. Since I bought this car last year with 12k miles, I started commuting about 25 miles each way, daily, through Phila., PA, to just west of that area. Once out of Phila., it gets hilly very quickly, and I while I am careful to not use the brakes uneccessarily, they get used a lot more near work compared to the rest of my trip home in NJ.

Point is - I thought the pads would be worn down much more than I just witnessed. I'm rather pleased, but I am curious about what others on this forum may have experienced in brake wear.

ckadiddle
12-28-2007, 09:54 AM
I think the stock pads were worn out were replaced at around 35-40000 miles. Mostly city driving around Orlando. Car had around 23000 miles on it when I purchased it.

magindat
12-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Couldn't tell ya.

I scrapped the stock rotors and pads at 13K and gave them to a guy with 80K who really needed them.

I have on Baer Decela rotors and had Akebono ceramic pads for around 50K. Still have the rotors and front pads are now NAPA Ceramix. Rear remain akebono.

Bigdogjim
12-28-2007, 10:04 AM
46,000 and OK. lots of highway :):):)

cruzer
12-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Replaced all 4 sides at 65,000 miles--still had some wear left on rears--half and half hwy and local

RF Overlord
12-28-2007, 11:12 AM
front pads are now NAPA Ceramix. Rich, I've heard some good things about the NAPA Ceramix. Do you like them? Will they fit the EBC brakes that Dennis sells?

RoNiN77
12-28-2007, 03:23 PM
At 54k miles and brakes starting to get a little soft. I'm assuming that they are the originals as I purchased the car with 20k miles.

CRUZTAKER
12-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Mine are still sweet at 42k.;)

Marauderjack
12-29-2007, 04:08 AM
Mine are still original.....158K miles.....still work fine and pads look OK!!!!:eek::beer::bows:

I do have two sets of front rotors and have them resurfaced every 30K miles or so do to pulsing!!:rolleyes:

I plan to replace rear rotors and pads soon......IF I can get the rotors off??:confused:

This has simply been the best car I've ever owned and I've had several GREAT CV's!!!:beer:

Marauderjack:burnout:

racorcey
12-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Mine are still original.....158K miles.....still work fine and pads look OK!!!!:eek::beer::bows:

And the winner is: Maruderjack! :cool: Jeesh - don't you ever use your brakes? Live in the flat Mid-West? Coast a lot? Never drive in the city?

Obviously not impossible, but more like improbable for the majority of us.:D

- Randy

Marauderjack
12-29-2007, 12:21 PM
It does sound impossible but it is true!!:beer:

I drive a lot of highway miles and as you suspected don't use my brakes a lot....but I do drive around town as well and then use them a lot......probably 75/25??:confused:

I have gotten 60K++ on most CV's and often wonder what the difference is in the OEM brakes between the CV's and our Marauders??:cool:

I suspect I will get all new stuff soon and do the works as well as change the fluid!!:beer:

racorcey
12-29-2007, 12:54 PM
It does sound impossible but it is true!!:beer:

I drive a lot of highway miles and as you suspected don't use my brakes a lot....but I do drive around town as well and then use them a lot......probably 75/25??:confused:

I have gotten 60K++ on most CV's and often wonder what the difference is in the OEM brakes between the CV's and our Marauders??:cool:

Ok, I believe ya! I'm usually pretty good with brake wear mileage myself - but you've got me beat!

As far as linings go from Ford, there is basically one version for all non-PI and MM - the so-called standard lining. There is a separate one each for the PI and the MM. From what I understand, the MM version is a mix of the two, that is, a bit tougher lining for our leaden feet, but not so much as to cause squealing, as some PI cars do. There may be more, but that's what I was given to understand.

- Randy

RoNiN77
12-29-2007, 02:53 PM
BRAKES ARE FOR WEENIES!!!!
:burnout::burnout::burnout::bu rnout::burnout::burnout::burno ut::burnout:

MarauderMark
12-29-2007, 03:26 PM
I changed mine over to drilled and slotted irotors from ebay .when i took off the oem pads there werenb't half way worn and that was @ about 42k so i figured i had another 42k or better left on them.(kept for later use)other than racing i'm very easy on my brakes...

Pat
12-29-2007, 05:43 PM
I know this can vary all over the place, but I want to ask it anyway.... I thought the pads would be worn down much more than I just witnessed. I'm rather pleased, but I am curious about what others on this forum may have experienced in brake wear.

Randy;

At 42K miles my mech said the pads and rotors were fine. At 51K miles he said it's time to change the pads and resurface the rotors plus change the brake fluid. Done, Done and Done.

He used a premimum aftermarket pad. Lifetime warranty. Cost a paltry $435.00 for all four wheels including 10% tax.

JACook
12-29-2007, 08:46 PM
At 54k miles and brakes starting to get a little soft. I'm assuming that they are the originals as I purchased the car with 20k miles.

Time to flush and bleed the brake fluid. The pads on our MMs last way longer than the brake
fluid should be left in the system...

LordVader
12-31-2007, 06:59 AM
Just had mine checked at 46K and the mech said they looked like new (same report this time last year).

magindat
12-31-2007, 07:59 AM
Rich, I've heard some good things about the NAPA Ceramix. Do you like them? Will they fit the EBC brakes that Dennis sells?

If the EBC are stock size replacements, they sure will. I like them as well as the Akebono's I was accustomed to, which I liked very much. Little to no dust, little to no noise. Good stoppage.

SID210SA
12-31-2007, 08:13 AM
63K on my OEM breaks and still stopping strong!!!

BLACKMARAUDER04
12-31-2007, 01:28 PM
My 2004 has 69,000 miles. The fronts have plenty of life left. The rears were
replaced with factory bindings part # BR*932*B list price $76.72, my price $60.00. I had them installed along with the front and rear SS brake lines I purchased from Dennis many months ago. I also had the brake fluid flushed. The brake pedal is much firmer and I am trying to slowly break the linings in.

p.s. I also purchased the front linings part BR*931*B list price $61.63 my cost $55.00. I will hold on to them till needed.

racorcey
01-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Pat et al,

Thanks for all your great responses. It was interesting to see that, in general, it looks like these factory brake pads are at least as good as the PI version, at least when not subjected to harsh use.

- Randy

fastblackmerc
01-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Screw the OEM brakes.....

Go with these

OEM setup
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u133/fastblackmerc/MM%20Mods/TCE%20Brake%20Upgrade/OEMSetup.jpg

TCE +1 The 13" Kit installed
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u133/fastblackmerc/MM%20Mods/TCE%20Brake%20Upgrade/TCESetup3.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u133/fastblackmerc/MM%20Mods/TCE%20Brake%20Upgrade/Complete2.jpg

With these babies you'll stop on a dime and get $0.09 change!

RF Overlord
01-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Yeah, baby...!

The Wilwoods will definitely haul this luxo-barge down quickly...

racorcey
01-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Screw the OEM brakes.....

Go with these: TCE +1 The 13" Kit installed. With these babies you'll stop on a dime and get $0.09 change!

That's some serious brake power there, dude! I couldn't do that anyway - it requires a disgustingly clean chassis like yours.:lol:

- Randy

fastblackmerc
01-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Just an FYI... with 40+K miles, daily driver, the chassis has never been cleaned. I do clean the wheel wells once a year. Purple cleaner and a brush work wonders.

fastblackmerc
01-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Yeah, baby...!

The Wilwoods will definitely haul this luxo-barge down quickly...

The stopping power over stock is unbelievable! Now I have to upgrade the rear pads, rotors, red powder coated calipers and install the SS rear hoses.

RF Overlord
01-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Now I have to upgrade the rear pads, rotors, red powder coated calipers and install the SS rear hoses.I have the Wilwoods on the front of The Blackbird...so I know what you mean.

I put PowerSlot rotors and Wagner TQ pads from Wes on the rear and I'm very happy with this combination.

RoNiN77
01-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Time to flush and bleed the brake fluid. The pads on our MMs last way longer than the brake
fluid should be left in the system...

Thanks!!! Should this be done by a dealer, shop or my local Valvoline?? I'm not mechanically inclined...nor can I spell.

dohc324ci
01-03-2008, 05:27 PM
I just picked up mine at 84k just turned 86k.....called the previous owner after reading this thread and they are still stock! Feels a little soft I didnt know if it was normal? What should the pedal feel like on your stock M?