PDA

View Full Version : Any Self tuners?

safado
12-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Hello Fellas, just seeing if anyone of us has gone the route of tuning their own car?? I recently got the Sniper Commando software to tune my MM and Terminator.. just seeing if anyone that has gone this route wanted to share experiences...

From what i've played so far is the Recon dataloging and it seems that at WOT the pcm pulls the spark advance pretty low... like the 16-17* range...

Raudermaster
12-30-2007, 09:46 PM
I believe Zack has tuned some cars and/or his own he has now. Dennis and Lidio tune their own cars :D.

Zack
12-31-2007, 07:01 AM
I bought the software to change minor stuff, gear ratios, shift schedules.
Thats it!

TooManyFords
12-31-2007, 07:27 AM
I've tuned my car but not with the software you've mentioned.

John

Pat
01-01-2008, 07:06 AM
Safado;

Does your MM have an aftermarket tune in it now or is what your reading for spark advance @ WOT stock operation?

TooManyFords
01-01-2008, 09:35 AM
I started with the stock BMD0 tune using SCT ProRacer and modified it from there. I will dig out one of my data logged runs from Drag Week in a few minutes and post up what spark I had during WOT. It might not be much more than 17* since mine is no longer N/A.

safado
01-01-2008, 03:42 PM
yes I'm on the stock tune (MAV2 Pcm Code)

jdando
01-01-2008, 04:44 PM
I believe Todd (Hooked_on_CV) has done some tuning with his S/C CV.

jeremy

safado
01-04-2008, 09:24 PM
I done some more datalogging.. the max timing at WOT at 5-6 k is 17.5 degrees.. which once again seems low... Different engines, but like the 302 are any where from 28-34 at WOT... but are wedge headed and not Pentroof.. has anyone else seen where there timing is at?

MitchB
01-04-2008, 10:37 PM
I done some more datalogging.. the max timing at WOT at 5-6 k is 17.5 degrees.. which once again seems low... Different engines, but like the 302 are any where from 28-34 at WOT... but are wedge headed and not Pentroof.. has anyone else seen where there timing is at?

That is about what you can expect with the factory tuning. The big question is whether or not spark is being pulled via the knock sensor. You need to look at all the modifiers to see how much spark is being added in and pulled. Depending on the gas quality you have available, you should be able to run more spark.

Mitch

Paul T. Casey
01-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Don't tweak the timing alone!! Don't tweak the timing alone!! Don't tweak the timing alone!! Check your A/F ratio. Work both of these together. With the stock settings, you'll probably be somewhat rich. I don't have all my data at hand, but from what I can remember, we went with something like 23 degrees and a 13.5 : 1 A/F. Again, don't quote me on those numbers. What I do recall is stock WOT A/F was very rich in the upper rpm's.

KillJoy
01-09-2008, 09:05 AM
Don't tweak the timing alone!! Don't tweak the timing alone!! Don't tweak the timing alone!! Check your A/F ratio. Work both of these together. With the stock settings, you'll probably be somewhat rich. I don't have all my data at hand, but from what I can remember, we went with something like 23 degrees and a 13.5 : 1 A/F. Again, don't quote me on those numbers. What I do recall is stock WOT A/F was very rich in the upper rpm's.

:up:

I would not Self Tune Spark / A/F w/o a Wideband O2.

:beer:

KillJoy

TooManyFords
01-09-2008, 09:11 AM
In the olden days, we used to tune by listening for ping. There were no wideband O2 sensors. I tuned my car this way until I bought a wideband and did it on all the old fords I owned. Besides, it can be rich as hell and still ping and detonate. The wideband O2 is NOT the holy grail.

So, it is OK to tune your car without one. Just be a good listener and find where the timing makes noise and back it off a little.

John

Paul T. Casey
01-09-2008, 09:20 AM
In the olden days, we used to tune by listening for ping. There were no wideband O2 sensors. I tuned my car this way until I bought a wideband and did it on all the old fords I owned. Besides, it can be rich as hell and still ping and detonate. The wideband O2 is NOT the holy grail.

So, it is OK to tune your car without one. Just be a good listener and find where the timing makes noise and back it off a little.

John

Timed many cars with a 1/2" wrench and a hill myself.

Dragcity
01-09-2008, 10:35 AM
I have MAV2 Code as well. I have been just playing with the SCT software available for shift points and such. I have a Winter tune that is dead nuts for MPH with my truck tires now......

Let me know it you need any of my MAV2 tunes to see where they lie. I have one that makes me ping under most load conditions, so I don't use that one.....

Sorry, but I am not big into this tuning thing, just shift points, timing (+-2*) and tire revs per mile.... Doubt I can help. So I'll just shut up now :}

red
04-08-2008, 10:04 PM
I recently got the Sniper Commando software to tune my MM and Terminator
How is the Sniper software working out for you? These guys are close by and I've been debating buying their software for a while.

safado
04-09-2008, 12:32 AM
Well so so.. I've started tweaking on the termee not so much the MM.. the software works.. but for the datalogging.. it still needs alot more time to develop...

Stranger in the Black Sedan
04-09-2008, 06:20 AM
I datalog and burn chips on GM TPI-era stuff. Haven't made that leap with the MM yet but if I keep the car I will have to start playing with the tune.

ctrlraven
04-09-2008, 08:20 AM
I have MAV2 Code as well. I have been just playing with the SCT software available for shift points and such. I have a Winter tune that is dead nuts for MPH with my truck tires now......

Let me know it you need any of my MAV2 tunes to see where they lie. I have one that makes me ping under most load conditions, so I don't use that one.....

Sorry, but I am not big into this tuning thing, just shift points, timing (+-2*) and tire revs per mile.... Doubt I can help. So I'll just shut up now :}

You should talk to Zack, he redid my tunes. Wow what a difference.

red
04-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Well so so.. I've started tweaking on the termee not so much the MM.. the software works.. but for the datalogging.. it still needs alot more time to develop...
Yeah, cost looks good, but my hesitation has been the lack of polish. I don't know anything about the DiabloSport tuning software, which leaves me only the SCT Pro Racer package. I wish HP Tuners (http://www.hptuners.com/products/vcmsuite_vehicles.php) would expand their Ford support quicker; the GM guys have it good.

safado
04-09-2008, 11:13 PM
As much as i wish it wasn't but the Sniper stuff still needs some work.. but from what I've seen other are still needing work also

red
04-10-2008, 03:37 PM
As much as i wish it wasn't but the Sniper stuff still needs some work.. but from what I've seen other are still needing work also
Yeah, the tuning products for Ford aren't the greatest. The best, decently-priced software I've seen is the SCT Pro Racer package, and I wasn't all that impressed. I might look around again in the near future to see if there are better options. Let me know if you find anything else. Thanks!

safado
04-10-2008, 09:53 PM
I heard SCT is being not very end-user friendly.. meaning they want you to deal with the dealer not them directly

Todd
04-11-2008, 04:47 AM
You can also use the Anderson Ford Motorsport 'PMS'.

I put one on my car when I first went turbo. Tuned it myself and it ran the best I have ever felt it. But there were a couple pins in the mustang-versus-marauder harness that werent the same (I believe one was water temp).

It would only affect the options to adjust fuel/timing based on temp which I hadnt done at the time but it still bugged me. So I took it off after they wouldnt help me get the pins in the right locations because they were to busy with tuning the 05's when they came out.

But looking back, I should have kept it and worked to get it right. The best thing about it is that it adjusts fuel and timing based on boost. That is a HUGE deal........

AND you can tune on the fly instead of having to adjust, reload, and then go datalog. You can also flip to different tunes while driving like the flip chips.

You can see pics of it in my car at my thread below.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23462&highlight=PMS

Stranger in the Black Sedan
04-11-2008, 08:24 AM
I heard SCT is being not very end-user friendly.. meaning they want you to deal with the dealer not them directly

SCT is impossible, they basically do not support their tuners directly to the public. They have a web forum set up, hosted by their staff, and there are 90% unanswered questions by their own customers up there. I have tried to get answers from them re: SCT tuners before and gave up.

safado
04-12-2008, 08:13 AM
SOunds like Innovates forums...

TODD where have you been? I have somequestions on your turbo.. please check you pm's thanks

red
04-12-2008, 09:53 AM
SCT is impossible, they basically do not support their tuners directly to the public. They have a web forum set up, hosted by their staff, and there are 90% unanswered questions by their own customers up there. I have tried to get answers from them re: SCT tuners before and gave up.
So, are there any other options beyond the ones we mentioned above?

red
04-12-2008, 10:05 AM
You can also use the Anderson Ford Motorsport 'PMS'.
But there were a couple pins in the mustang-versus-marauder harness that werent the same (I believe one was water temp).
It would only affect the options to adjust fuel/timing based on temp which I hadnt done at the time but it still bugged me. So I took it off after they wouldnt help me get the pins in the right locations because they were to busy with tuning the 05's when they came out.
AND you can tune on the fly instead of having to adjust, reload, and then go datalog. You can also flip to different tunes while driving like the flip chips.

I looked into the AFM PMS (http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/pms/pms-46-0304cobra.html) a little more after you mentioned it. It seems like its a nice setup on the whole, especially the tuning on the fly, however, making air temp fuel/timing corrections is one of my intentions. And, I'm really looking for a software-only option. Seeing all the added hardware and knowing that you had problems getting the pins to match up makes me hesistant.

Richy04
08-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Old Thread revival,

I just picked up Sniper Commando last week. As soon as I get it installed and the EULA faxed I will advise on this product. Commando comes with a tuning device,recon data logger,Special forces (a simple basic tuning program) and the advanced Program called Commando which gives you many more parameters to tweak. Its big bux but seems like the way to go as far as letting the end user bang tunes into his ride. Lots of support from dealers, members of the forum and the Sniper staff are always answering my questions.

red
08-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Old Thread revival,

I just picked up Sniper Commando last week. As soon as I get it installed and the EULA faxed I will advise on this product. Commando comes with a tuning device,recon data logger,Special forces (a simple basic tuning program) and the advanced Program called Commando which gives you many more parameters to tweak. Its big bux but seems like the way to go as far as letting the end user bang tunes into his ride. Lots of support from dealers, members of the forum and the Sniper staff are always answering my questions.
Please do post up about your experiences. Thanks!

Richy04
09-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Ok,

I picked up the Sniper Commando/special forces tuning package. It comes with a datalogger, a simple tuning program (special forces), an advanced tuning program (Commando) and two credits called "bullits" and some other cool software to make it all come together. I picked mine up on Ebay for well below normal dealer cost (around 600 bucks). It worked right out of the box but I had issues with the interface which sniper rectified rather quickly by return and as an aside they spent time with me on the phone to pinpoint the problem. It now works beautifully.

In its raw form, it will do up to two cars, you can add vehicles with the bullits (shop around as prices vary from dealer to dealer)

I uploaded one of my pre stored tunes and I was good to go, my original is stored in the interface, just like an sct normally would.. If you give up the tune, you gain the bullit back and you can now use it on another car. The multiloader program keeps track of your files, interface and bullits and sets the interface up for storing and identifying tunes in the interface.

Commando is very intricate, you can tweak anything a dealer can with it and rewrite the tune back to the interface. I will include more about this software as I explore it. You can buy the basic software and interface for about 350 us and add commando later if you wish.

I think it gives you alot for your money, if you need a basic tune for a car that isnt too tricked out, go with special forces, if you need a powerful package, get the commando/special forces package.. Richy

I began by backing up all of my tunes to my laptop and also saved my stock tune. I then reloaded my car with my favorite tune and then copied all of the others for safe keeping. I didnt use the special forces but it takes all of 2 minutes to bang out a tune with that. Special forces is a plain english tuning program that asks you pretty basic questions like if you have a cai,x or h pipe,cat back, headers, if you want the second set of O2s on or off, you get the drift. It then asked you about shifts, when you want em, how hard you want them, rev limiter,PATS on or off etc.. The tune will then be built and you store it to an empty slot on the interface.

The interface holds up to 7 tunes in the eeprom. Number 6 is your stock file and the rest can be used for custom tunes or another car.

red
09-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the report!

I uploaded one of my pre stored tunes
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say here. You already had a tune in Sniper's format that you uploaded?

I began by backing up all of my tunes to my laptop and also saved my stock tune.
Again, how? Were you loading SCT tunes using an XCalibrator or the like, then pulling the tune into the Sniper software?

Thanks!

Richy04
09-07-2008, 07:11 PM
It takes time to do it, you have to go back to stock, read that stock file into sniper, store it, then reupload it to unlock, then upload a tune using your hand held, read it with sniper from the ecu, reupload it again to unlock, then go back to stock with the handheld.. Until you have all of them saved on your computer. Then go to stock on your handheld, then upload your tune you saved on the sniper and you're good to go.

red
09-07-2008, 08:29 PM
It takes time to do it, you have to go back to stock, read that stock file into sniper, store it, then reupload it to unlock, then upload a tune using your hand held, read it with sniper from the ecu, reupload it again to unlock, then go back to stock with the handheld.. Until you have all of them saved on your computer. Then go to stock on your handheld, then upload your tune you saved on the sniper and you're good to go.
Can you be more specific? By hand held, am I correct in understanding that you're referring to an SCT XCalibrator? Thanks

Richy04
09-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Sorry for the late reply,

Yes, to store any tunes from your excal you must juggle the tunes to and from the ecu. So I started out by going totally stock and storing my original base tune, then began by uploading each tune from the xcal, reading them one at a time with the sniper. Its tedious, but it is basically easy to do. Now all of my tunes are stored on my laptop and the xcal is no longer needed.

Does anyone have the sniper out there in tuning land and still have an xcal in their arsenal?

Or does anyone have a cheap xcal (dont need any tunes and any sct model will do) for sale?

red
09-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

red
09-28-2008, 06:30 PM
If anyone has a way to pull a tune into Advantage III, please share.

doyounochef
09-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Sorry for the late reply,

Yes, to store any tunes from your excal you must juggle the tunes to and from the ecu. So I started out by going totally stock and storing my original base tune, then began by uploading each tune from the xcal, reading them one at a time with the sniper. Its tedious, but it is basically easy to do. Now all of my tunes are stored on my laptop and the xcal is no longer needed.

Does anyone have the sniper out there in tuning land and still have an xcal in their arsenal?

Or does anyone have a cheap xcal (dont need any tunes and any sct model will do) for sale?
check out ebay there is one for $99 but its locked

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SCT-Flash-tuner-XCALIBRATOR-9400-Xcal2_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkpa rmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a 2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trk sidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZite m270281005766QQitemZ2702810057 66

good luck

Dennis Reinhart
09-29-2008, 01:09 PM

This is not true they do the best they can, I have the software from the beginning. I sold the very first Marauder tune ever, so please do your research before making that kind of statement.

red
09-29-2008, 04:35 PM
This is not true they do the best they can, I have the software from the beginning. I sold the very first Marauder tune ever, so please do your research before making that kind of statement.
SCT's support forum is not equivalent to HP Tuners, EEC Tuning, or the like, which offer highly technical discussion. It is usually focused on product support and solving SCT software and hardware bugs. I think he may have been pointing out that technical tuning discussions are minimal and that technical questions often go unanswered.

Taemian
03-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Thread Revival: Check out the "Trilogy + Sniper tuning" thread in progress in the Tuning forum.

red
03-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Thread Revival: Check out the "Trilogy + Sniper tuning" thread in progress in the Tuning forum.
Thanks for the review!