PDA

View Full Version : Squeak from output side of transmission

cougar9150
01-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Recently I fell asleep at the wheel and crashed over the median at about 35-40mph. This complete destroyed one of my rims and tires. This was all replaced by the insurance company including an alignment. The thing is now I have an almost continuous squeak coming from under the car. I can only hear it at lower speeds and when it is quiet out. I cannot hear anything in the car with the windows up. I put the car up on jackstands last night and traced the sound to the rear of the tranny(I think) by rotating the driveshaft in neutral. It only makes the noise when your going in the forward direction. Could I possibly have bent the output shaft, damaged some bearings, or damaged something on the driveshaft? Automatic transmissions are something foreign to me so any help would be great.

arejayesss
01-03-2008, 10:49 AM
I don't have an answer for you. I just wanted to say I'm glad I've never been able to afford a 'median' home.

RF Overlord
01-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Bad universal joint.

Get them both replaced and the D/S checked for straightness.

Possibly you damaged the tailshaft bushing, but less likely.

fastblackmerc
01-03-2008, 10:58 AM
+1 on the u-joint(s) and drive shaft.

ts-pa
01-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Sorry for the thread drift...

I used to fall asleep on occasion while driving. Thank GOD I never hurt anyone or anything. I would nod off for a second at a time and at stop lights. I would fall asleep at the drop of a hat when sitting down.

Got myself to a sleep study, found out that I have "Sleep Apnea". Been using CPAP since 2001, no problems ever since.

Please get yourself checked if you have the same symptoms!

Back on track...I'm glad to hear that only your car was damaged and that you were ok.

cougar9150
01-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the info. I think I will order a custom driveshaft from PST in clearwater. It should only run me about $250-$300 for a 1310 aluminum driveshaft balanced within a 1/4 oz/in. including the yoke.
The shop I had it at said it was my rear brakes and that there was nothing I could do it was just the pad material. They are Bendix Ceramic pads that are less than 4 weeks old with brand new performance rotors. Plus it didn't do it before I crashed.
I will check out the brakes this weekend though just in case the caliper slide pins is misaligned or bent, or if one of the pads came slightly off track. The thing is it only does it going forward so my guess is if was my pads it would also do it in reverse. I drove around my block 2 times in reverse last night to make sure of this. Plus the brakes feel like they are working just fine to me.
Definitly no sleep apnea here its called working 75+ hours a week, 6-7days a weeks for months straight surviving off about 3-4 hours worth of sleep a night. Coming home at midnight after about 18 to 20 hour at work that day and getting up to go back in at 5 in the morning.
Thanks all for the help guys.

ts-pa
01-03-2008, 06:15 PM
.......Definitly no sleep apnea here its called working 75+ hours a week, 6-7days a weeks for months straight surviving off about 3-4 hours worth of sleep a night. Coming home at midnight after about 18 to 20 hour at work that day and getting up to go back in at 5 in the morning.
Thanks all for the help guys.

What kind of work do you do?:eek:

...I drove around my block 2 times in reverse last night to make sure of this.......

I hope your neighbors didn't see you do this. They might think you lost your marbles.

cougar9150
01-03-2008, 08:47 PM
I'm a manufacturing engineer(I fix other engineers mistakes) for a semiconductor equipment manufacturer. My machines are what IBM, Intel, Toshiba, etc.. use to develop and manufacture computer chips. Basically I make the machines that make computer chips. If you own a Playstation 3, XBox 360, or a Wii, these processors were all developed on a piece of equipment I personally built, tested and calibrated while I was still pursuing my Bachelors degree.
I had a big year this year. My team; which consists of me and the 2 other guys (7 before layoffs) had to personally build and test 3 major R&D projects that accounted for almost half of my divisions approx $30,000,000 budget this year. These were of course for customers even though they were all Beta systems that weren't fully ready for production yet. Then you have to support the ones in the field which means less time for the in house projects which means you have to work on them after normal business hours.
This is the problem with releasing new products that haven’t quite been fully developed yet, you have to work long hours, constantly change things, then retest, and come up with new specs. The ship dates don't change even though I had to redesign half the tool from the original specs. Of course all the big bosses just want it done as quick as possible because how else will they get their big bonus checks.
Did the driving late at night, not too many neighbors out but the ones that were out did look at me strangely but nothing new with that:D

cougar9150
01-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Misquote on the shaft price and specs. The marauder comes w/a 1330 yoke so the 1310 wouldn't be strong enough. The quote that came back from PST was $465 + S/H. wouldn't have to have shipped though since I'm local. Not sure if it is SFI approved or not waiting on a response to that.