PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a New Torq. Convertor

Cobra25
01-09-2008, 08:58 AM
On 12-04-04 I put in a PI 3000 stall Convertor at (10,015miles) . I drove it home from the west coast and before I got home it was making alot of noise, it was bad. I had to order a replacement after only 200 miles. So on 12-11-04 I put in another PI3000 stall convertor. I had to pay for 2 installs and I wasn't happy. Now after 15,785 miles guess what, I have to do it again. :mad2: I took it to Moroso and raced it ,after 5 run's it was making noise again, here we go again. Anyone that knows me knows I take car of my Marauder and I really don't abuse it much. I called Tom ( MarauderTJA) who I trust alot and he had told me what a difference Darrins set made in his car and how happy he was with the service at BC Automotive. I called Darrin from BC Automotive Because their is no way I'm going to put another Torg Conv from PI in my Marauder. Darrin was Very nice and took his time with me and explained the differences in tranny's and Torg convertors. He didn't put down anybody product's which I respect. I ordered a BC Auto 3000 Stall Torg convertor from Darrin that day. I called him the next day to ask a few more question's and he took his time with me , He know's his Business and knows how to treat people. Thank You Darrin. :2thumbs:

ctrlraven
01-09-2008, 09:10 AM
What kind of noise was it making? I've got around 16,xxx miles on my PI 3500 so far.

fastblackmerc
01-09-2008, 09:15 AM
I have almost 20K on my PI and have had no problems.

magindat
01-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Sheeeesh, Z! I have about 15K NA and 4K SC on mine with no issues. WTF is up with that?

Glad Darrin helped you out. I'd be PO'd like you, though. 3 installs?! :mad2:

merc
01-09-2008, 09:44 AM
My PI was burned up according to Darrin. I didn't have an noise related problems but the launch was noticeably sluggish and it reflected in my 60 ft times. Before upgrading my transmission I found alot of clutch dust in my tranny pan. The pan magnet was full of black material. Cobra 25 keep us posted on the new convertor. The tracks up North are closed but not for long. :beer:

KillJoy
01-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Darrin is DEFINATELY taking care of the Marauder Community.

:up:

KillJoy

Cobra25
01-09-2008, 10:39 AM
It was making a metal to metal grinding noise between 2200-2400 RPMs. Quite Loud when cold and not as Loud when Hot. I had 2 members take a ride with me at the Tower Shops, neither one was sure at that time, but it was hot then. I also was under the car too make sure nothing was hitting or rubbing anywhere. I took it too Pines Lincoln Mercury , we let it cool down for 2 hours and the Service manager and the tranny tech took it for a ride and said the same thing , its the Torg convertor. I'm really Pissed off about this, but what could I say, it has to get fixed.
What kind of noise was it making? I've got around 16,xxx miles on my PI 3500 so far.

burt ragio
01-20-2008, 06:38 AM
The chances that you had two bad torque converters is not likely. My guess is your tranny cooler is clogged in line at the thermostat that should open & close at 170 degree. This is most likly the cause of you over heating & damageing your converters.

Cobra25
01-20-2008, 06:49 AM
The chances that you had two bad torque converters is not likely. My guess is your tranny cooler is clogged in line at the thermostat that should open & close at 170 degree. This is most likly the cause of you over heating & damageing your converters. The car has only 25 k miles on it. The Tranny fluid has been changed 5 times and flushed out 3 times. I had a Ford racing stacked Tranny cooler installed and a ford racing deep dish pan installed too a while back. I also have a Transco stage 1 shift kit in it. All the work has been done at a Ford Dealership by their tranny teck. The fluid is bright pink in color so I dought it's the issue with mine. Thanks for the info, it's always good to learn something new.

burt ragio
01-20-2008, 07:07 AM
Do you have a trans temp gauge to moniter temp ?

Cobra25
01-20-2008, 07:12 AM
Do you have a trans temp gauge to moniter temp ? No I don't , but I'm thinking of putting one in. Where is the tranny temp regulator located ? Is it in the fan assembly?

burt ragio
01-20-2008, 08:58 AM
No I don't , but I'm thinking of putting one in. Where is the tranny temp regulator located ? Is it in the fan assembly?

Some members tap a temp sensor into the trans pan others place the temp sensor at the trans cooler lines up front just behind the radiator. If you do a search you can see pictures.http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35 90&stc=1 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35 90&stc=1)

Blackmobile
01-20-2008, 08:58 AM
No I don't , but I'm thinking of putting one in. Where is the tranny temp regulator located ? Is it in the fan assembly?

Here is TTG kit I found at Summit:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BMM%2D80212&N=700+115&autoview=sku

sailsmen
01-20-2008, 09:37 AM
I put in a PI 3000 3-5-04 @ 20,257.

75,000 miles latter and 176 1,320' runs and the PI was in perfect shape.

I removed the OEM trans cooler when I went S/C on 3-25-05 @ 42,000 and mounted a trans cooler behind the front grill.

At the same time I did the PI 3,000 I had the trans done.

We opened up the case and everything was in excellent shape. The only thing that showed wear was the OD clutch band.

I know Jerry W. is againest a shift kit in our trans.

Dennis Reinhart
01-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Every body has there opinion, and I respect that, but PI makes a very good converter, they have a imaculate two year warranty, they stand behind there product. I have heard of know one having two failures, I know Darrin he as well, has good reputation and you can have confidence in him as well.

Shora
01-20-2008, 10:39 AM
I removed the OEM trans cooler when I went S/C on 3-25-05 @ 42,000 and mounted a trans cooler behind the front grill.

If you removed the OEM trans cooler, then you also removed the OEM power steering cooler.

Does the aftermarket trans cooler that you replaced the OEM cooler with cool the power steering fluid as well?

Cobra25
01-20-2008, 01:41 PM
If you removed the OEM trans cooler, then you also removed the OEM power steering cooler.

Does the aftermarket trans cooler that you replaced the OEM cooler with cool the power steering fluid as well? I left the OEM trans cooler in and added a Ford racing Stacked tranny cooler in. Mine has 2 tranny coolers.

Cobra25
01-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Every body has there opinion, and I respect that, but PI makes a very good converter, they have a imaculate two year warranty, they stand behind there product. I have heard of know one having two failures, I know Darrin he as well, has good reputation and you can have confidence in him as well. While my case is different than alot of other members here please understand That while I'm not happy about this their are many others that have the PI converter's and have no problems and are happy with it. Common sence told me in my case not to get another PI Converter so I had Darrin Build me one. The PI core converter will be mailed back to Darrin so he can check out what happened if he wishes.

sailsmen
01-20-2008, 02:33 PM

Does the aftermarket trans cooler that you replaced the OEM cooler with cool the power steering fluid as well?

You cut it off and mount it on the front sway bar.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/6/7/2/POwersteerinh.jpg

Pat
01-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Mine's good to go...........

I have slightly over 20K miles on my PI 3500 and all seems well, no noise that I can hear, performance seems the same as when it was installed, second tranny oil cooler installed at the same time per shops recommendation, tranny fluid changed at 15K intervals, tech don't report any anomalies (don't really know if they can observe any). Happy camper.

MarauderTJA
01-20-2008, 05:27 PM
My PI 3000 stall burned out after I starting put the big horsepower to the tranny. My 4R75W tranny was OK, but at the same time of replacing the torq converter I went with the BC built tranny at the same time. No difference in install costs. Both my BC Automotive tranny and torque converter have had no problems at all in handling, C-16 race tune, 18 lbs boost, a 100 shot, overall pushing 750 RWHP. Yet drives sweet on the road where it is 99% of the time. I have been extremely happy with Darrin's products.

Zack
01-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Just keep the PI unlocked at WOT and it will live forever.

Cobra25
01-20-2008, 07:54 PM
I have a New saying too: If you don't put one in, you will never have a problem !
Just keep the PI unlocked at WOT and it will live forever.

sailsmen
01-20-2008, 09:43 PM
The point I was trying to make is lots of people have excellent experience with PI.

You might consider sending it back to PI and asking for your money back.

CRUZTAKER
01-20-2008, 09:54 PM
I have 25k on mine and no troubles + j-mod.
Yet.
I am having a tranny issue in some respect, but it hasn't been narrowed down yet.

No cooler yet either.

The chances that you had two bad torque converters is not likely. My guess is your tranny cooler is clogged in line at the thermostat that should open & close at 170 degree. This is most likly the cause of you over heating & damageing your converters.

I wonder if something else is a miss as well. :dunno:

Shora
01-20-2008, 10:33 PM
You cut it off and mount it on the front sway bar.

Got it. Thanks.

Cobra25
01-21-2008, 06:19 AM
Just so their is no mis -understanding, I'm not saying that PI doesn't make a good T/Conv , Many here have had no problems with theirs.I have no respect for that company or it's product. When I got my first one and drove it home with less than 200 miles it went bad. I called Dennis Reinhart and then called PI for shipping info. They told me ( PI ) I had to pay for the shipping of the new one to me and the shipping of the old one back, I was pissed because not only did I have to pay for another install but the shipping too, some warrenty. I called Dennis back he paid the shipping. ( Thank you Dennis ). As far as shipping the second one back to PI for repair, it's been in over 3 years and only 15000 or so miles, the warrenty is 2 years so the last thing I want is another PI converter in my car after 2 install's. I'm happy most of the members here have had no problem & I hope it say's that way. I lost my respect for that company for how I was treated by them & the fact that 2 of them went bad in a short peroid of time.
The point I was trying to make is lots of people have excellent experience with PI.

You might consider sending it back to PI and asking for your money back.