PDA

View Full Version : FOMOCO 1967 Marauder concept?

carbuff
01-11-2008, 09:56 AM

These 2 pieces were part of a larger collection of car artwork donated by Lincoln Mercury to an engineering school library back in the 1960's.

The library underwent an extensive remodel in the 1980's and most of the artwork was trashed.

A friend rescued these 2 pictures off the trash heap because he just wanted the frames. He got them home, unframed the one and didnt like the way it looked and he called me and asked me if I wanted 'some old car pictures'. When I asked him, he said he had no idea what kind of cars they were. After about a year passed by and he said that if i didnt come over and get them, he was going to throw them out. I about died when in saw that they were signed watercolor originals. I asked him if there were any more, and he said there were about 10 others, but they were trashed. Actually, at this time I just figured these were done by some engineering student.

Since I drove a 442 at the time, I just slid them under my bed and forgot about them where they sat for about 20 years until a friend purchased a '69 X-100 and it reminded me that I had these. I dug them out and tried to match the mat and frame to one that was still framed, thats when i noticed there was a sticker on the back that says:
Donated by: Ford Motor Co - Lincoln/Mercury Division.

I wonder if Mercury had ideas of making a 67 Marauder, and this was along the lines of what they had in mind? The cars don't say Marauder on them but they do say Mercury and the licence plate on one says 1967.

I would venture to guess that they were conceived somewhere about 1964/1965. What do you guys think?:coffee:

Bluerauder
01-11-2008, 10:57 AM
I would venture to guess that they were conceived somewhere about 1964/1965. What do you guys think?:coffee:
Interesting bit of history. I think it unlikely that the styling would have competed well with other cars of that era. The Pontiac GTO, Plymouth RoadRunner, Dodge Charger, and Chevy Impala had better lines IMHO.

The "fastback" concept shown in your first file seems disproportional to me. The small rear doesn't look like it matches the big front. Although I have heard some guys like that style. :P

Of course, half the population seemed to be on drugs in the '66-'67 timeframe so there is no real telling how this would have worked out. ;)

Raudermaster
01-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Wow those are pretty cool drawings. They look like an actual picture if the car were real.

RoyLPita
01-11-2008, 02:44 PM
I always had a strong liking to the 67 Galaxie 500 fastback. This would've been a close representative.

jgc61sr2002
01-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Good find.:D Very nice pictures. Thanks:D

Welcome aboard.

Bradley G
01-11-2008, 03:37 PM
WELCOME , GREAT FIRST POST!:bows:

69marquis conv
01-11-2008, 04:46 PM
That's a Mercury for sure, but I'm glad they refined the lines a bit before they built the '69 and '70s!

carbuff
01-11-2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks guys for the warm welcome.
The pics actually are rather large, about 36" wide. I would like to find out more about them.
I think the roofline sort of reminds me of the roofline that made it to the 69 / 70 Marauder - X100.
I wish I would have acted sooner, and got the others but....... at least I saved these 2 pieces of Ford history.

JamesHecker
01-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Very Cool!