PDA

View Full Version : I Pledge alligence............

Pat
01-28-2008, 04:23 PM
I stepped outside a little while ago, just when the bugle sounded over the PA system on the Air Force base a little ways down the street.

Since my next door neighbor's US flag was stretched out in the cool breeze and the National Anthem was about to be played I thought I would pay honor to our flag.

When the music began I came to attention put my right hand over my heart and then noticed a young man walking on the other side of the street with his hoodie up. He saw me, stopped and also honored the flag. A few moments later an SUV with a family inside came around the corner, saw the two of us at attention and pulled over in honor to the flag and the playing of our National Anthem.

At that moment I was very proud to be an American.

Bobmiddle
01-28-2008, 04:27 PM
God Bless America

TiTo35
01-28-2008, 04:53 PM
:flag:
Yeap
God
Bless
America
:flag:

Bluerauder
01-28-2008, 04:56 PM
I stepped outside a little while ago, just when the bugle sounded over the PA system on the Air Force base a little ways down the street.

Since my next door neighbor's US flag was stretched out in the cool breeze and the National Anthem was about to be played I thought I would pay honor to our flag.
:flag: Ya done good, Pat !! :flag:

Unless there was a parade or ceremony (i.e. change of command or VIP visiting), I suspect that what you heard was "Retreat" on the bugle. It is played every day at 5 PM when the base/garrison flag is lowered. Usually accompanied by a single cannon salute (75mm cartridge). Many places now used pre-recorded bugle calls over the PA. It ain't the same.

Trivia Question Pat ..... What are the last two words of "The Star Spangled Banner"? ;)

hot-rauder
01-28-2008, 05:33 PM

Unless there was a parade or ceremony (i.e. change of command or VIP visiting), I suspect that what you heard was "Retreat" on the bugle. It is played every day at 5 PM when the base/garrison flag is lowered. Usually accompanied by a single cannon salute (75mm cartridge). Many places now used pre-recorded bugle calls over the PA. It ain't the same.

Trivia Question Pat ..... What are the last two words of "The Star Spangled Banner"? ;)

Hurry up Pat, i wanna answer it!!!

Pat
01-28-2008, 05:47 PM

Charlie;

The last two words are "the Brave".

The whole line is, "O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave".

Bluerauder
01-28-2008, 05:51 PM
:laugh: :laugh:

Charlie;

The last two words are "the Brave".

The whole line is, "O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave".
The last two words are ..... "Play Ball". ;) Ain't you been to a game lately. :D

rayjay
01-28-2008, 05:58 PM
:laugh: :laugh:

The last two words are ..... "Play Ball". ;) Ain't you been to a game lately. :D

or seen Christmas Vacation :D

Pat
01-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Did I walk into that or what.

Ya got me Charlie.

hot-rauder
01-29-2008, 05:41 AM
Did I walk into that or what.

Ya got me Charlie.

Haha I was waiting for ya

UncleLar
01-29-2008, 08:22 AM
God Bless America
Amen brother,Amen.

Marauderjack
01-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Uh.....the first few words are "Jose' can you see"...I think??:D:beer:

hot-rauder
01-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Uh.....the first few words are "Jose' can you see"...I think??:D:beer:

It would be funnier if it wasn't true.....

2,4shofast
01-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Thank you for paying Tribute! Even after over 9 years in the Military it gives me the chills every day when I hear it.

jfclancy
01-29-2008, 04:50 PM
First OFF YA DONE good PAt!
next if you are veteran as of some time last year it is correct to render the "hand Salute" in such situations.

Joe Clancy
40 years USAF retired
20 years for me
and 20 for my wonderful wife Linda
:beer::beer::beer:

2,4shofast
01-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Joe Clancy
40 years USAF retired
20 years for me
and 20 for my wonderful wife Linda

Thank you for your service and thank your wife for her sacrifices...:beer:

jfclancy
01-30-2008, 06:54 AM
Your welcome but just to be clear, I was in the USAF from 1965 thru 1985
met my wife in Germany who was the site medic for another unit there
She was in the USAF from 1966 thru 1986.

Joe & Linda Clancy
coming up on five years as proud MARAUDER owners

Hacklemerc
02-01-2008, 07:01 AM
I remember when I was in active duty Army. Naturally when the flag went up at reville (sp), everyone was at attention saluting, and also at retreat when the colors came down. Everyone stopped, faced the flag all over post, and saluted. Even at taps you turned, faced the direction of the flag and stood at parade rest while Taps was played. To be honest I'm not sure if that was an Army policy or just a Post Policy, but it was a good one. Taps always tears me up.
I served 4 years active duty Army, have been Illinios National Guard for about 8 yrs now. I've been to South Korea, and served one tour in Iraq at the begining of the current war. Currently gearing up for our rotation to Afghanistan in early 09 as a Combat engineer.

I've been a proud Marauder owner for 3 years now. The better half has had hers for about 1 year.

Bluerauder
02-01-2008, 08:13 AM
Currently gearing up for our rotation to Afghanistan in early 09 as a Combat engineer.
:flag: Essayons !!! :flag:

Retired US Army Corps of Engineer here. My oldest son is on active duty with the Engineers now. He's been in since 1999.

finster101
02-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Congress recently passed a bill that allows veterans to salute the Flag. Apparantly some of us were still saluting (Army training, Sir) and in violation of the law. You can now acknoledge your service without fear of prosecution. :confused:

Blk Mamba
02-03-2008, 07:51 PM
brings tears to my eyes,

is that spelled right?