PDA

View Full Version : Ford Dealership J-mod.

Sphinx
02-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Would they be able to perform it? or any other suggestions? If I buy a Marauder under warranty I would like to know the best way of going about doing this?

Thanks.

Local Boy
02-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Probably not...The J-Mod would void your warranty...as it is considered a modification to OEM parts...

Need to take it to a respected trans. shop...It's not hard to do, and does not require any parts, just the valve body gaskets, and trans. fluid...The trans pan gasket is re-usable...so shouldn't cost to much...

Good luck...

ALOHA

Raudermaster
02-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Yep, any dealer won't do it. They would figure if it's under warranty, it will be voided automatically. If it's not waranteed, they still won't because they don't want to be "liable" if anything goes wrong. Like Randy said, you need a trans shop, or do it yourself.

BruteForce
02-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Mine would. No doubt about it. Can't hurt to ask.

Raudermaster
02-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Do you know someone that works there?

safado
02-01-2008, 09:57 PM
It all depends on the dealer and the trans guy

Sphinx
02-02-2008, 01:50 PM
hmmm, well if I have a trans shop do it.. will it still void the warranty?

And do alot of transmission shops do it?

Local Boy
02-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Those who have dealerships that will do it, are LUCKY...Those dealerships are few and far between...True? ;)

Yes, whenever you "modify" a OEM part (in this case the valve body) to do something it wasn't designed to do, you will void your warranty...

This applies only if they find out... :P

Any and all trans shops can do it...it really is not hard at all...

You will probably have to educate them as to the specific specs, and provide them with the instructions (you can get it here, just search (button)...

I suggest obtaining the (J-Mod) instructions and Jerry W's. write up on the 4r70W transmission (both found here)...and read (over and over, and ask questions) until you understand what it is you're considering...take this oppurtunity to learn a little more about how your car works...It will raise your level of appreciation you have for your car...Moreover, you will be in a better position to make a variety of adjustments, if nessessary, because of your understanding of what's happening within your trans...

Knowledge = Hp = Wins :banana:

Good Luck...:beer:

:wave:ALOHA

MENINBLK
02-02-2008, 03:17 PM
Would they be able to perform it? or any other suggestions? If I buy a Marauder under warranty I would like to know the best way of going about doing this?

Thanks.

If you get an Xcal with a tune from Lidio, you won't need a J-Mod.
Trust me...

UncleLar
02-02-2008, 03:38 PM
My dealer wouldn't do it. I had a 96 Cougar and the trans was acting up and I'd brought it in with a B&M cooler and the updated accumulators and stuff to have it updated.I had an extended warranty on the car and when the mechanic tore it down Ford checked it and approved it for a full rebuild. They automatically updated everything I was going to. I spoke with the mechanic and showed him the J Mod instructions and offered to slip him some dough to do it but he said he couldn't,if something happened Ford would have his butt. He installed my cooler and I got my parts back and got a refund on them though.The new trans did shift better than the old one.

sailsmen
02-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Trust me...

Is that because you will have an "L" mod or do the laws of physics cease to apply when you use a Lidio tune?

Please advise wherelse we should trust you regarding the laws of physics not applying?

Sphinx
02-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Is that because you will have an "L" mod or do the laws of physics cease to apply when you use a Lidio tune?

Please advise wherelse we should trust you regarding the laws of physics not applying?

I havent bought a MM yet.. im currently looking around my area for one and saving...

A lindo tune? so will make a huge difference to the car?

What about BOC?

Local Boy
02-02-2008, 05:38 PM
A performance tune is a great investment, we have two (2) vendors here that sell Per. tunes (Lidio and DR.) Both are very good ...All owners should get that (tune) first, as it does "wake up" the car, and firms up the shifts a bit...

For some of us, however, this was not enough, and elected to step it up a few notches...to the J-Mod...

ALOHA

RedMerc04
02-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Hey, just wondering... If you get J modded and already have a tune with upped line pressure does the trans shift just right or harsh enough that you have to reduce the line pressure? Just wondering b/c I should probably flush my trans soon anyway, and firmer shifts wont hurt!

CRUZTAKER
02-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Trust me...

There is a difference between a transmission mod via programing and a transmission mod via hardware, It's obvious!
There is a reason Jerry W. created this mod.
IT WASN'T ENTIRELY CORRECTABLE WITH SOFTWARE.

I have both. An awesome Lidio trans tune, and the piece of mind of harware mods (jmod).
Back on TOPIC:

Find a performance transmission shop, give the tech the drawings, pay the bench labor, about $55, and discover how your transmission was MEANT to shift!
And not artificially with software.

Tuning is like steriods. Works well...really well.
Hardware is for real!!!!

Send me your email addy and I will send you the drawings. ;)

Local Boy
02-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Cruz is right...^^^

Lidio tune and a J-mod = great performance

Think of it this way...You can always reduce the line pressure [acutally you should] (after J-mod), if it is too harsh for you...By reducing the line pressure, you enhance the longevity of your trans pump, because it does not have work as hard to increase line pressure. This is why the J-mod (mechanical adjustment) is far better than just increasing the line pressure (via software). Better seat of the pants AND better for the life of your trans pump...This way, you get "two for one" benifits...

Gotta Love It!!!

ALOHA

CRUZTAKER
02-02-2008, 11:06 PM
You couldn't have said that better if you had posted a pic of lovely large kona bud! :rasta:

Sphinx
02-05-2008, 08:24 PM
so is it worth paying a shop to do it?

Local Boy
02-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Although I could have done it myself...I had a shop do it...

Dropped it off in the morning...got it back by lunch time...Gotta love it!!!

I just did not want to roll around in trans fluid while on my back (no lift)...

It was worth it for me...

ALOHA

magindat
02-06-2008, 05:53 AM
IIRC Dennis sells a 'kit' that includes everything you need, including the correct size drill bit.

Zack
02-06-2008, 05:57 AM
I can do the J-Mod for anyone who is near me.
$200 (Includes Filter and Fluid)

Da Dark Jedi
02-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Hey Zack, I'll be needing you for the J-Mod this summer. I have the 4R75W Trans.

Sphinx
02-13-2008, 08:19 PM
I can do the J-Mod for anyone who is near me.
$200 (Includes Filter and Fluid)

Unless Illinois is a suburb of Los Angeles.. that aint gonn happen. :lol:

Darrin
02-14-2008, 08:18 AM
I sell both kits and complete valve bodies that are properly modified and include everything that you need. Direct plug and play installations and great results.

www.bc-automotive.com

Darrin

Kirbster919
02-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Dugan's trans shop, 3100 N. Laramie in Chicago is excellent... It is just Dugan and one other guy, so they know who touched each car and take accountability for thier work.

CRUZTAKER
02-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Unless Illinois is a suburb of Los Angeles.. that aint gonn happen. :lol:

I would think that of ALL places...a city as large as L.A. that you could find a transmission specialty / performance shop.

ANY shop can do this benchwork for you with the drawings I offered.

safado
02-18-2008, 05:39 PM
I can do it for you.. I'm in Murrieta... its a little closer than Illinois

I evan have a extra plate that I can mod before hand..

Aren Jay
03-11-2008, 09:53 PM
I thought the R75 didn't need this?

Darrin
03-12-2008, 06:06 AM
I thought the R75 didn't need this?
There are differences in the transmissions between the 4R70W and the 4R75w for sure, but none that change the need for a modification to the valve body. That part is all the same. The differences are more internal.

I might cover all of that when I have some spare time

Darrin

Aren Jay
03-12-2008, 08:27 PM
So what does the J mod do? or Why do I need this?

chader
03-12-2008, 09:02 PM
I liked the way my car shifted with the Lidio tune.Once I got the s/c'r the trans now feels to blow through the shift.Will the j-mod make it shift like it did b4 getting s/c'd?

Sphinx
03-12-2008, 09:20 PM
I can do it for you.. I'm in Murrieta... its a little closer than Illinois

I evan have a extra plate that I can mod before hand..

Hmm.. Ill let u know.

Mest30
03-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Does anyone know if the valve body kit that Darrin offers increase performance at all?

Darrin
03-19-2008, 06:22 AM
Does anyone know if the valve body kit that Darrin offers increase performance at all?
Define 'performance'

If you are looking at a big improvement in track times then a valve body isn't going to do that all by itself. If you want your transmission to shift the way you want it to, slip less, run cooler and live longer then a valve body is for you.

Darrin

Mest30
03-19-2008, 07:56 AM
I know it's not going to offer a big improvement at the track, I was just wondering if it provided any improvement or if it was just a way to make your tranny more bullet proof.

JACook
03-24-2008, 07:53 PM
The J-mod will make the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts quicker. This is both a longevity and performance
mod.

Lidio likes to do this with line pressure. He will tell you it doesn't hurt the transmission, and
I've no reason to doubt him. But. If you can accomplish the same thing without increasing
line pressure, so much the better. Let's just say it's a difference in philosophy.

BTW, anyone near Orange County (Kalifornia) needs help with a J-Mod, I'm game...

Mest30
03-25-2008, 06:21 AM
Thank you very much. Now I just need to come up with the cash.