PDA

View Full Version : AVIC D3 Re-Install

xtcbct
02-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Hello,

After having my local installer put in my Avic D3, I cant say Im too thrilled about the job they did compared to what I have seen on this site. The plastic trim ring that fits around the unit is secured sticking out with the D3 set back into it. After further inspection, it was GLUED with some sort of black hardened crap to secure the trim ring on. Even better, all around the outside of the trim ring was this black goop sticky stuff that was used to hold the unit in. Kind of reminded me of goopy sticky putty of sorts. This was not my idea of a custom install... I was told that they had to make all the parts, but I didnt think they would make it like this. The unit isnt really secured in there except by black goop. I would think there must be a way to have it screwed or locked into place.

I cant say I have much experience with any of this, but at least the difficult stuff is out of the way. Nonetheless, it does work, and that I am satisfied with that. I'd like to correct this mounting issue though. Will the part number from Pioneer work at all...ADT-VA133? Or does the scosche kit have to be used as others had mentioned before? Is anyone in the Connecticut area who would be willing to help me with this?

Pops
02-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Take it back and complain about the sloppy work.

magindat
02-04-2008, 12:02 PM
If you can handle a razor utility knife, pliers, a drill and a dremel, give me a call. I can get you through it....

GreekGod
02-05-2008, 07:40 AM
I thought those Scosche kits had everything needed to make it look factory, with very little trimming needed?

magindat
02-05-2008, 12:16 PM
I thought those Scosche kits had everything needed to make it look factory, with very little trimming needed?

They do... if you know what you're doing!

xtcbct
02-26-2008, 02:44 PM
My afternoon....3 hours later.

Hello everyone. I just wanted to let everyone know, I finally tackled this thing this afternoon. Since the installer had already done all the wiring work which I knew nothing about, I finally finished up tackling the cosmetic work to make this thing look better. I purchased the kit new from ebay for 5 bucks. Best deal I saw!

I pulled the D3 out, which was easy since it just slid out. Started with a hammer and screwdriver to remove the faceplate attached to the D3 with the hardened glue crap they had used to affix the faceplate which did not fit right. After some light tapping, the glue just let go and all came off in one big chunk! GOOD, NO DAMAGE to the D3. After checking out how the thing fits together. I screwed the Scosche 1330B kit together and told myself this will slide right in! :) Little did I know. It didnt fit, so I thought to myself, I guess now it is time to pull the dash off. I wasnt too sure how to do this as I have never done it before. But after a few minutes, I realized this was pretty basic and easy. It just looks scary once everything is apart and the wires are just flopping there. So it seemed everything just fit together well, and they did after some slight trimming with a knife to make the ears of the kit fit on the dash assembly. I had to remove the vents and reinstall them after the D3 was secured in place. WOW this really is more permanent than what I had. I plugged all the wires back in, cable tied things together for more organization and tucked it in as best I could. Screwed the dash back together and was very surprised and satisfied with the end result. The only downside to this I guess is the fact that if you have a problem or want to add anything to the back of the unit, you have to unscrew the whole dash to get there. Whereas in the past with my din and half radio and metra kit, it just slid out with keys. This is certainly more secure though and now my D3 sits real snug and comfortable. Its a tight fit. Thank you guys for essentially telling me how easy it was, I just never wanted to break anything. Its all said and done now, but If I need to add anything, I will make sure I assist in the install procedure next time.

For all of you out there who have read this, please do not make the same mistake, make sure they tell you EXACTLY what they are going to do to your car BEFORE they do it. I fell victim to their "We make everything..." reply and trusted them. I got stuck with a sloppy install that I had to correct. Now when I go back there and show them what I did, maybe they wont "Make everything..." for the next guy with a Grand Marquis, Marauder, or Crown Vic. :)

magindat
02-26-2008, 02:55 PM
It's not modular and more permanent because it's custom. It's a double din radio in a 1.5 din hole. That's the price we pay.

Good job with patience. Knew you could do it.

GreekGod
02-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Good to heqr of your success, but (unless I'm wrong) it isn't necessary to "pull the dash out", or it would have been more than a 3 hour job! I didn't even take the dash out (just loosened it & pulled it back for clearance), to install a heater core in my (similar) 1985 Crown Vic. That was an 8 hour job!

Da Dark Jedi
02-29-2008, 01:10 AM
Whats the part number for the Scosche kit? I've been searching for it!

xtcbct
02-29-2008, 05:59 AM
Whats the part number for the Scosche kit? I've been searching for it!

Scosche 1330B - it fits together nicely! I think you could prob get it cheapest on ebay. I got mine for 5 bucks. Make sure you use the longer screws supplied with your D3 for the install.

magindat
02-29-2008, 06:07 AM
Scosche 1330B - it fits together nicely! I think you could prob get it cheapest on ebay. I got mine for 5 bucks. Make sure you use the longer screws supplied with your D3 for the install.

Dude, that's just rude. Get it from John Kuhn. You are posting how to get around him in his OWN FORUM!!! I let it go above cuz it was for your own personal use. If you wanna direct someone somewhere other than to a site vendor for a product that site vendor carries, do it elsewhere. This is just plain disrespectful.

Pay the money, support the vendor who supports the site since you don't (no flags).

We treated you well, gave you advice (I even offered a personal phone call), and then complimented your success. WAKE UP!

Da Dark Jedi
02-29-2008, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the part #! ;)

GreekGod
02-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Wanna get burned?...use Ebay!...local or forum vendors are usually worth any extra (perceived) expense, but many times a "bargain" can be much more trouble than it is worth. And, as always:

"The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory"- Aldo Gucci

Pops
02-29-2008, 11:29 AM
I could delete the thread as it is my forum. To those of you who want to beat the system that is OK. Remember when you have no vendors here you will have no donations or have anyone to pay the bills here. I have given a lot to this site and members. I do not ask for much in return. But when I do not get sales there is nothing to give back. If you want to post this kind of stuff do not put it in my forum. It well be deleted in the future.
I thank all of you who have done business with me. I try to provide good info and service to all of you and hope to contiue with it.

John