PDA

View Full Version : Crown Vic/Gran Marq Intakes coming soon...

Tucker
02-07-2008, 07:10 AM
After tons of calls and emails from CV and GM owners looking for a intake kit we got a car in and did some testing.

The stock tube from the throttle body to the MAF isn't that restrictive and it would be a big deal to develop whole new intake tube we are only replacing the airbox section. In testing on other models we know that the biggest gains are from opening the airway with a larger open filter then the tube itself.

So the kit consists of an airbox, a 70mm aluminum MAF adaptor, 3.5"x9" S&B Powerstack filter open on the end and support bracket.

We strapped the 2002 CV Sport onto the dyno and did 2 base line runs and then disconnected the battery and swapped out the new JLT airbox kit.

On a normal Mustang GT we see about 8-12 RWHP, but I think the stock airbox on the GT is much more efficient then the stock CV airbox.
Also note, this car had a K&N airfilter in the stock airbox to begin with.

We were very surprised with the results,
As you can see in the graph we picked up a solid 6-10 RWHP and a huge 8-10 RWTQ across the run up until about 5400 RPM when the car really responded and gains jumped to a full 19.7 RWHP and 22 RWTQ @ 5900 RPMs. This is power that you will feel through out the rpm range while driving.
A/F cleaned up from a rich 12.0-12.2 to a nice smooth 12.8-13.0. This will net better gas mileage as well.
This is a simple intake swap. NO TUNING NEEDED! We did all testing and install in only 30 minutes time with next to no cool down between runs. So the JLT runs are hot runs, meaning power could have been even better if we allowed more cool down time.

We will start making the parts to have kits ready to ship in the next 3-4 weeks.
Pricing will be low at only $149. That's about $10 per HP.

Thanks and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Jay

JVJ
02-07-2008, 07:43 AM
The idea sounds great for my CVLX Sport. But do I have to switch over to 93 or better octane?

Eric91Z
02-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Jay, (same thing posted on SVTP)

This is good news. And now having more information on the setup I have a couple of questions:

1) What about those of us that have "upgraded" to the Marauder airbox, Marauder 80mm MAF, and '04 CVPI zip tube already - can we just get the air filter and the Marauder 80mm MAF adapter instead?

2) What kind of gains do you think the open filter setup would provide over the Marauder airbox in the CVPI?

I already have your setup on my Marauder and love it. Just wondering what kind of further gains I could get with the air filter and adapter on my Crown Vic daily driver?

Tucker
02-07-2008, 07:55 AM
The idea sounds great for my CVLX Sport. But do I have to switch over to 93 or better octane?
No sir.
87 is what we used in testing

Eric,
To use the 80mm MAF you would need to open the hole in the shield and order over the phone so we know to put the correct MAF adaptor in the kit.

As for gains over the MM airbox. I don't like to pull numbers from the sky as I would need to test it to say for sure. I would guess there would be a gian, but how much is hard to say. What did the MAF and airbox give you?

Eric91Z
02-07-2008, 07:59 AM
No sir.
87 is what we used in testing

Eric,
To use the 80mm MAF you would need to open the hole in the shield and order over the phone so we know to put the correct MAF adaptor in the kit.

As for gains over the MM airbox. I don't like to pull numbers from the sky as I would need to test it to say for sure. I would guess there would be a gian, but how much is hard to say. What did the MAF and airbox give you?

No Dyno numbers for that change. No before numbers for that matter. One of the main reasons I throw that out there is because there are a lot of Crown vic/Grand Marquis/Town Cars running around that already have the Marauder airbox, MAF, '04 zip tube (tube from TB or MAF), and tune as that is considered one of the first upgrade "packages" to do on any non-Marauder Panther car.

So if you had a kit like that (for the Marauder 80mm MAF) you would probably have a number of buyers for that, too. Just a thought.

Tucker
02-07-2008, 08:33 AM
I understand, but
putting out a kit for the CV, a small market, is tough to do. Then to do another kit for CV guys who have modded there car with MM parts is a even smaller market, more labor, more parts to buy and more money in stock that you hope to sell.
See what I'm getting at?
I would think whom ever is selling the 80mm MM package has dyno proof it's worth the money. I have to guess it wasn't cheap, so I would hope it's worth at least 10 RWHP.

Were trying to accomadate most cars, but once you start modifing with custom parts you will have to expect to modifiy any future part to work with that mod.

Were shooting for a cheap intake kit for the big body 4.6 car that's easy to install and worth ever penny.

Eric91Z
02-07-2008, 10:36 AM
I understand, but
putting out a kit for the CV, a small market, is tough to do. Then to do another kit for CV guys who have modded there car with MM parts is a even smaller market, more labor, more parts to buy and more money in stock that you hope to sell.
See what I'm getting at?
I would think whom ever is selling the 80mm MM package has dyno proof it's worth the money. I have to guess it wasn't cheap, so I would hope it's worth at least 10 RWHP.

Were trying to accomadate most cars, but once you start modifing with custom parts you will have to expect to modifiy any future part to work with that mod.

Were shooting for a cheap intake kit for the big body 4.6 car that's easy to install and worth ever penny.

Understandable on the accomadation issue.

But the "custom" order is available to use this air filter, shield, and the MM MAF adapter. Could one order just those parts from the actual Marauder kit since the adapter, shield, and filter would be the right sizes? And since the Marauder air box fits in the CV I assume that portion of the Marauder kit would work on the CV for those that already have the Marauder MAF?

Tucker
02-07-2008, 11:28 AM
I can sell the Marauder kit minus the pipe, yes.
Will it fit your situation? I can't say as I haven't done it.

So, yes, we can sell most any part we have, but can not gaurantee fitment unless we've done it.

Jay

cyclopsram
02-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Tucker, I have a 2006 CVPI stock Police Interceptor, will your kit hook up to my zip tube, etc...?? If so, count me in for one.. you can PM Me at crownvicP71@aol.com Thanks, and regards, RAM I like the honk of open air intakes for sure...

Tucker
02-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Tucker, I have a 2006 CVPI stock Police Interceptor, will your kit hook up to my zip tube, etc...?? If so, count me in for one.. you can PM Me at crownvicP71@aol.com Thanks, and regards, RAM I like the honk of open air intakes for sure...
You have the new slot style sensor, so it wouldn't work.
Sorry,

Jay

cyclopsram
02-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Thx, boo hoo... maybe later

Serge
02-07-2008, 05:16 PM
According to ADTR (http://adtr.net/shop.php?page=intake), the Marauder airbox adds about 7-10hp. Not sure if that's with or without a tune. That being said, I am interested in this intake and will contact you directly later on.

PhastPhil
02-07-2008, 05:37 PM
I am definitely interested in this for my 2004 CV LX Sport. I'll keep watching for more updates.

Thanks

Drock96Marquis
02-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Since this keeps the stock intake tube, there are no worries about the trac-only brake pressure control valve protruding from the master cylinder which would otherwise cause an interference problem with a larger, straighter intake tube (ala 2004 CVPI tube)

So, since this is just a heatshield that bolts in place of the stock airbox (which was basically unchanged 92-04), cone filter and a 70mm MAF adapter ring it should fit all 91(Town Car)/92-04 CV/GM/TC (exc. '04 CVPI)

It won't work on 04+ CVPIs or 05+ retail CV/GM/TC though as the MAF is much different (cartridge-style) and the housing integrated to the lid.

Tucker
02-08-2008, 05:53 AM
Here is the info on the site posted above:

Integrated 80mm MAF into the upper lid of the airbox assembly and also includes the lower housing and air filter
Factory replacement part on 2004 and newer CV PI’s
Does not require a new intake tube although the 2006 PI tube is a great upgrade!
REQUIRES A CUSTOM COMPUTER TUNE!You can't change the MAF size without tuning, so that's another $400+ for the tune and tuner. :depress:

Thanks for the fitment years Drock96Marquis. That really helps.

I have parts getting made as we speak and should have some early proto types in the next 2-3 weeks or so.

The car owner isn't much of a forum guy, but I'll send him a link to this site when we have the kit on so he can give his opinion on the mod.

Thanks and I'll keep you all posted.

Jay

rvaldez1
02-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Awesome, thanks Jay!!!!!! Im in for one.

Sharky
02-28-2008, 01:17 AM
Oh hell yes!

Please PM me when these are ready to ship.

Finally, a CAI kit for the SOHC Panthers. :banana:

Tucker
02-29-2008, 06:41 AM
We did more extencive testing yesterday and will post the results on Monday.
We drove a city route and a highway route with the stock box and then the JLT. I video taped the screen on a SCT livewire on which we were data loggging inlet air temps, MPH and coolant temps to see how fast IAT' go up and down with both.
We also dyno tested it again to see if we could repeat the gains and we did.

We should have production kits shipping within 2 weeks and a super low price to be anounced.
Thanks
Jay

Darrin
02-29-2008, 07:30 AM
A complete log of the data from the SCT stuff woudl be great to post. People can get the software fromthe SCT site and compare more of the numbers than a screenshot can provide.

That would be awesome for comparison purposes. And, it would generate a lot of talk and get the product a lot more attention because of it.

Darrin

hotrodjoe11
03-09-2008, 10:48 PM
i have a 2001 cvpi with a mm maf and airbox i would love to upgrade to an open air filter kit that u are now selling. i will give u a call tommorow morning.

Tucker
09-12-2008, 06:18 AM
In stock and shipping.

Those who are using the MM box set up. You can use the JLT Marauder lower half to open your airway.
I can sell it separate, just call.

Thanks
Jay