PDA

View Full Version : Procharger fuel pump issue

merc
02-07-2008, 02:44 PM
I found this thread on the Mach1 site, but would like to know if anyone has experienced this problem.

You cant use a consistent 12v fuel pump in a veritable voltage system!!!!!! Plain and simple. They burn up too fast. If you do you are a moron you take the chance of exceeding the allowed amperage and causing electrical damage to the FPDM and fuel pump failer. I don’t care what anyone says. ASK procharger because they had to replace all of those 255 intake pumps they use to send out in there kits. As for focus pumps if you know how the read a flow chart you would find out they are not really a better choice! The single Ford GT fuel pump flows more fuel than the twin cobra pumps. So that is the only logical fuel pump to use in a single application! I can get them for you for about 135,00 a pump!!!! I don’t own a laser cutter nor a water jet machine to make intake spacers however I do own a dyno and a performance facility and deal with peoples poor choice in fuel systems on a day to day basis

255 12v pump cant run at lower voltage. ie 15-23 psi and then go to 40-60 psi. it will work for a while but they cause more harm than good
yea one focus pump good till 450 HP @ 100% duty cycle
GT pump good till 499 HP to the wheels @ 100% duty cycle

KillJoy
02-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Interesting.....

Looks like I might be needing to upgrade to a GT soon...

KillJoy

John Nero
02-07-2008, 02:54 PM
i have a procharger and i run twin gt fuel pumps

TooManyFords
02-07-2008, 02:59 PM
I ran my original ProCharger pump (Walbro 255) for 40,000 miles and it is sitting on the bench waiting for someone who needs it. Never had a problem with it and it was tuned to 476RWHP. Never ran lean. Maybe mine is one of the few good ones!

Not disagreeing with what you see at your shop, just my experience.

:D

RF Overlord
02-07-2008, 03:21 PM
I want to know what a "veritable voltage system" is... :rolleyes:

Marauderjack
02-07-2008, 03:23 PM
I have 84K miles on my original "ProCharger" Walbro 255 and it is still doing fine....you can hear the PCM turning it off and on about twice a second at idle......watching the FP gauge it stays on constantly above 2-3 pounds of boost!!:beer:

I was very concerned when I spoke to Walbro about the pump being used in a returnless system and they immediately advised against it but offered no alternative.....so I put it in and it seems OK!!:confused:

ProCharger says they have many of them over 100K and still pumping well!!:beer:

I would like to go to the GT pump since it is designed to work in this application but I don't have a clue what to do about programming the PCM for it....I guess Scott Beer can at least get me started if i go to one??:cool:

Marauderjack:burnout:

PS: I carry a spare Walbro in the trunk in case mine quits in "Da Boonies"!!!:eek:

sailsmen
02-07-2008, 05:58 PM
"The single Ford GT fuel pump flows more fuel than the twin cobra pumps. So that is the only logical fuel pump to use in a single application!"

When L&L Auto replaced my Twin Cobra due to a miscommunication they replaced with only one Ford GT and immediately determined the flow was inadequate.

Based on my experience the above quote is incorrect.

HwyCruiser
02-07-2008, 06:02 PM
No problems here, but that guy sure sounds like an expert to me. :rolleyes:

RR|Suki
02-07-2008, 06:08 PM
"The single Ford GT fuel pump flows more fuel than the twin cobra pumps. So that is the only logical fuel pump to use in a single application!"

When L&L Auto replaced my Twin Cobra due to a miscommunication they replaced with only one Ford GT and immediately determined the flow was inadequate.

Based on my experience the above quote is incorrect.

I run basically the same power you do... and I have a big bore stroker, furher I have a single GT pump and my BAP is not yet connected, and I run 10.5 A/F... Seems to me I should be drinking more fuel... maybe not.

merc
02-07-2008, 07:48 PM
The post was food for thought. Sherman's last tuner said he was at his fuel pumps limits because he pegged the duty cycles at 100 percent. We both are running a BAP and a single GT pump. It looks like an upgraded fuel system will be needed or more research.

JMan
02-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Where's the BS flag when you need it. Variable (veritable?) Pulse Width varies the amount of time twelve volts is administered to the pump. A routine voltmeter would see this as an average e.g.-50% on at 12v. 50% off at 0v. = 6volts on a RMS meter. In acuality, it is 12v. half the time. Those cycles are very fast and not perceivable on a voltmeter. I'll stick with this until proven wrong with facts!

HTH

J

FordNut
02-08-2008, 07:05 AM
Where's the BS flag when you need it. Variable (veritable?) Pulse Width varies the amount of time twelve volts is administered to the pump. A routine voltmeter would see this as an average e.g.-50% on at 12v. 50% off at 0v. = 6volts on a RMS meter. In acuality, it is 12v. half the time. Those cycles are very fast and not perceivable on a voltmeter. I'll stick with this until proven wrong with facts!

HTH

J

Not sure what the meter would read, (RMS is something like .707 times average) but you're right on the concept. It's 12V, switched on/off rapidly at a rate which maintains the desired fuel pressure. At idle, it may be on 15-20% of the time. At WOT, it may be on 75-80% of the time. This is referred to as duty cycle. If you're running 95%+ duty cycle you need to upgrade BAP, pumps, lines, filters, or some combination or these items to increase capacity.

Zack
02-08-2008, 07:08 AM
The Walbro works just fine, despite all the BullS warnings.

magindat
02-08-2008, 07:12 AM

HTH

J

Here ya go....:bs:

It's PWM not variable voltage.

A motor uses X watts no matter what. Drop the voltage and the amperage increases to make the same watts. Up the voltage and the amperage decreases to make the same watts. High amperage equates to high heat. In a situation like this a Fuel pump would degrade and fail due to the heat especially if the coolant (gas) was often low and not bathing the pump.

The pump does not run as above. it runs on PWM or Pulse Width Modulation. All that means is that the 12V is turned on and off as needed (modulations). The time on and time off is by demand. More demand = more time on (Pulse Width). In this case the pump ALWAYS gets 12v and ALWAYS runs on the same amperage and ALWAYS generates the same amount of heat.

IMO, whoever blew their pump was always running on 'E' and regualarly didn't have sufficient coolant (gas) cooling the pump.

Lastly, a device like a BAP which ups the voltage would make the pump spin faster, but run cooler due to less amps (electrically and not withstanding it's own internal friction) and would actually make the pump last LONGER (theoretically) based on less electrically generated heat (again neglecting internal construction limits).

This guy's argument falls on it's face at 'variable voltage'. At that point, it's clear he doesn't understand how it works and his credibility is gone.

Marauderjack
02-08-2008, 02:56 PM
My ScanGauge II has a "Fuel Pump Duty Cycle" reading and I have never seen it at 50% at WOT.....most of the time it runs 15% to 28% or so??:confused:

I would expect that means it has plenty of capacity left but don't really know??:cool:

Marauderjack:cool4: