PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a marauder.

turbodak
02-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Hey guys. I don't have a Marauder yet but I have some strong interest in buying one. I cant really go out and test drive one since there arent any at the dealerships around here, so I would like to know some facts.

First off, whats a good price for one with about 50,000 miles?

Are there any differences between this 32valve v8 and the Cobra engine(minus supercharger) I would imagine the cams would be different because of the weight difference.

How are the insurance rates compared to a sports car?

Also, what are some main problems that occur with these cars?

If I get one I will most likely built a turbo system for it. Im new to fords, but not to forced induction. I have 96 Dakota at the that was juiced, then blown, and now it has a turbo system that I designed and built.

sweetair
02-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Hey guys. I don't have a Marauder yet but I have some strong interest in buying one. I cant really go out and test drive one since there arent any at the dealerships around here, so I would like to know some facts.

Are there any differences between this 32valve v8 and the Cobra engine(minus supercharger) I would imagine the cams would be different because of the weight difference.

If I get one I will most likely built a turbo system for it. Im new to fords, but not to forced induction. I have 96 Dakota at the that was juiced, then blown, and now it has a turbo system that I designed and built.I hope this helps.

50k miles------16-18K depending on overall condition and mods.

this is the same 32v as in the Mach1------no forged internals like the Cobra

insurance is less than a sports car.

Main problem-----you are going to want to mod the hell out of it and might not be able to stop wanting to mod it. Don't re-invent the wheel here. There are numerous power adders available that are VERY reliable. Ask around.

Good luck!:beer:

Dragcity
02-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Keep your eyes peeled. Good Marauders come up for sale now and again. Insurance is much better than any sportscar you'll find.

I would love to turbocharge my Marauder, but it's way too costly. In my opinion, Turbo is a great way to go.

Start looking, you'll find one. When you do, have our resident VIN man run the OASIS for you before you commit. Lot's of good folks on the site that will help you get what you need...

Good luck.

sailsmen
02-08-2008, 09:44 AM
I would look at the 3 S/C Kits which range from $4.5K-$7K before I would engineer a turbo.

Around 300 S/C kits have been sold.

2 members have a turbo. U may want to ask them how many miles they have put on the Marauder since they started the turbo project.;)

turbodak
02-08-2008, 01:49 PM
I dont want a supercharger. Like I said. Im not new to forced induction. My truck i just finished is the 3rd custom turbo setup I have done in the past year. I spent about 3k in parts, and make more power than a centrifugal or twin screw setup.

Dragcity
02-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Atta' Boy turbodak.

Wish you lived next door, we could fab a turbo for my Marauder too.

sailsmen
02-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Make all the power you want. More than a Cent or Twin Screw and Pop Goes the Weasel!

When I was your age my time was free.

Aren Jay
02-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Near as I can see you have 5 about 90-100 miles from you.

If you really need a test drive you might want to try a day trip to one or more of these.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?num_records=&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar%3A%3Ais psearchform&search_type=both&distance=100&address=46802&marketZipError=false&style_flag=1&make=MERC&model=MARAUDER&make2=&start_year=1981&end_year=2008&min_price=&max_price=&transmission=&engine=&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&keywords_display=&sort_type=priceDESC&body_code=0&certified=&advanced=&default_sort=priceDESC&awsp=false&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&systime=

Not sure how far you want to go for a Marauder experience.

knine
02-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Welcome aboard. Get a BLUE, they are extremely rare, hard to find, the best color and will be worth more in the long run. Try this one http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=239260942&dealer_id=66373&car_year=2003&model=MARAUDER&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&color2=&search_lang=en&make=MERC&keywords_display=&color=BLUE&page_location=findacar%3A%3Ais psearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=60430&advanced=y&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=1026
I'll go with you and help drive it back. E. :cool:

ParkRanger
02-20-2008, 11:05 AM

If I get one I will most likely built a turbo system for it. Im new to fords, but not to forced induction. I have 96 Dakota at the that was juiced, then blown, and now it has a turbo system that I designed and built.

Don't think about it anymore - go out and get one NOW!
I would look for a stock with the lowest milage at the best price and then mod as you like. That has been one of the thrills of this car - to see the performance increase as you make the mod decisions.
You won't be sorry - go out and get one asap.

PR :burnout:

Todd
02-20-2008, 11:46 AM
I am one of the couple of guys with a turbo..... The only company that made kits for our cars has gone out of business unfortunately. But you can always get one custom fabbed.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

(PS I have about 5000 miles on my turbocharged marauder. Unfortunately only 3000 on the new motor. I smoked #8 piston on my stock block at only 8psi. So I replaced it with lots of new goodies.)