PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Racing/Cruise/Show with the SHO Club of America

Taemian
02-08-2008, 11:36 PM
Proposed Racing/Cruise/Show with the SHO Club

Well, here's the scoop guys.
I've been talking to the President of the National Ford Taurus SHO club. For those who don't know , the SHO is a car just like our Marauder in terms of origins and history.

--both SHOs and MM were bastard children of Ford, devoid of SVT or SVO involvement.
--both SHOs and MM were performance versions of a base sedan.
--both SHOs and MM had an engine exclusive to that upgraded model.
--both SHOs and MM were very limited number runs
--both SHOs and MM were 4 door, "luxo-sedan" type ideas with a performance oriented cruiser motif.
--both SHOs and MM have a rabid following amongst a certain demographic.

They are having their yearly national meet in Washington state from July 21-24, which will include a cruise day, a track day at Pacific Raceway, and a show day near Seattle. I thought maybe we could join up with them for some events, so I proposed a few ideas to their president, Don.

Depending on interest level from us, we're welcome to join in on the cruise, which will be a 3-4 hour scenic drive with a convoy of all the SHO owners. Another day will be at Pacific Raceway, for TRACK TIME. No drags avaliable, but groups of 10 cars at a time on the full road course should be amazing! All skill levels will be accomodated, passing allowed only in certain areas, instructors avaliable for novice driver ride-alongs. Depending on the total number of drivers, you could see 4 or 5 sessions of about 10 laps (or 15 minutes each) in the course of the day.

They would also be open to adding a Marauder class for the show if we asked them.

Costs (these are very early estimates) would be $190 for the track time (1-1.5 hours total) and includes a catered lunch. Registration is another $65 for the whole 4 days, with a t-shirt thrown in. As I understand it, no matter how many days you want to show up for, you must first pay the $65 reg fee.

I for one, will defintely be going. These guys and cars seem to be the little brother and forerunner to our own ill-fated product line. Track time is much more interesting to me than "point and plant" for 14 seconds at a time, but hey, that's just me.

You can see more details at http://www.shoclub.com/

Please DO NOT CONTACT THEM DIRECTLY for info; Don is not interested in getting 20 emails from MM owners wanting more details. Ask any questions in this post, Don and I will have contact on a regular basis to sort things out.

I will do my best to continue to organize MM themed events and products...just think of the photos we could use from this for next year's calendar! That said....

I WILL HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY OF THE FINANCIAL DETAILS!!!!! Everyone will be on their own once the final plans/prices are set; the SHO club is in full command of the event, and we are graciously being allowed to tag along. I think this could be a Win-Win situation for everyone involved.

Please let me know what you think!:burnout:

Bradley G
02-09-2008, 06:02 AM
Fine idea!
Being an owner of both a '92 MTX and a MM .
They were both way misunderstood by most.

Taemian
02-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Wow, the silence is deafening....anybody in BC or Washington state actually read this thread yet?:confused:

Blue03
02-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Thanks for postin this up! :2thumbs:
I had (an enjoyed) a 87 Taurus LX (guess what color) for 165K miles but wished that I had waited for a SHO. That coulda-woulda-shoulda is in part why I have my MM today.
Sounds like a good group and probably will be a fun meet. Might give us some pointers on how (if ever) we could do a Marauderville in this corner of the world. Looks like they will even have some folks coming from the midwest.
That said I'd probably be up for heading out to TripX for a burger, suds :beer: and looking at raised hoods they have scheduled for Monday nite 7-21 but would probably miss most of the rest.

teamrope
02-11-2008, 11:05 PM
Sounds like fun. If work permits I'll join in in the festivities. I love racing. :)

SID210SA
02-12-2008, 07:20 AM
This is a good event.....I speak from experience with our local SHO club with Blue92 and SHOMurph.....they have an annual Austin Spring Run that a few of us MM owners attend and they also have a coarse event at Texas World Speedway which is a 2 or three day event. That was fun as well and there is another Spring Run and Track event this year that I plan on attending again this year.

Mike

mbrown
02-12-2008, 07:12 PM
The Marauder has already been down the 1/4th mile at Pacific Raceways, I think the road course is an excellent idea. Right around my birthday anyway and the passes should be open:rolleyes:. I sold the SE-R Sentra which used to be my autocross fun and I have been missing it terribly.

Boogity-boogity-boogity, let's go racin':banana2:

Raudermaster
02-25-2008, 10:10 AM
I wish I never sold my '95 MTX. SHO's are just impractical for me though. Fast, quick, fun to drive, of course. But, everyday, something new broke on it! Parts are almost extinct on them, and they cost a pretty penny.

freakstatus
03-14-2008, 09:32 PM
As previously stated, I'd definitely be interested.

2,4shofast
03-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Depending on what obligations come up when I get home, I should be able to make it up there in the Marauder, dont think the SHO will be ready by then. So Im about 50/50 right now but will know for sure within a few weeks if I can make it. Sounds like a good time!~

Taemian
06-24-2008, 08:28 PM
:bump:

Wednesday July 23, 2008.

That's the date for the road course racing.

Unfortunately, I won't be there, as relatives from Holland will be here then. We'll be in Oregon at the ranch with them.

I hope SOMEBODY will use their MM for something other than a "show N shine" this summer.

Blue03
06-25-2008, 12:14 AM
:bump:

Wednesday July 23, 2008.

That's the date for the road course racing.

Unfortunately, I won't be there, as relatives from Holland will be here then. We'll be in Oregon at the ranch with them.

I hope SOMEBODY will use their MM for something other than a "show N shine" this summer.

I still have Triple X on Monday Eve 7-21 penciled in on my Calendar.... :)