PDA

View Full Version : When to replace front and rear shocks?

04MRADR
02-16-2008, 08:26 AM
:cool:I was curious how often everybody is replacing their shocks? I do about 75 % of my driving on Turnpike where the road is as smooth as a baby's butt, the balance in the city. My shocks still seem very tight and still have a very firm ride. My Marauder has 81 K on it and the shocks seem fine. I avoid potholes and road hazzards and bumps like a phanatic. How often do most of you change and do you use originals or Monroe or some other brand? I do not race the Marauder so I don't want anything that would give a stiffer ride than the originals. What brands and model do members prefer and what did they cost installed?

Marauderjack
02-16-2008, 01:45 PM
I have 163K on my OEM shocks and brakes.....both still seem fine!!!:bows:

No leaks on the shocks and the brake pads are still about 50%??:eek:

I have never gone this far on OEM shocks and brakes with any car I've owned!!!:shake:

Lucky....I guess??:cool:

Marauderjack:burnout:

04MRADR
02-16-2008, 07:00 PM
:cool:Marauder Jack! I have 81 K on mine and the original brakes. My mechanic advised I have about 35 -40 % left so I'll probably replace this summer. Never had this kind of miles on brakes or shocks either! :cool:
I have 163K on my OEM shocks and brakes.....both still seem fine!!!:bows:

No leaks on the shocks and the brake pads are still about 50%??:eek:

I have never gone this far on OEM shocks and brakes with any car I've owned!!!:shake:

Lucky....I guess??:cool:

Stranger in the Black Sedan
02-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Lucky for sure. My stock brakes were grooved and shook your teeth they chattered so bad, by 23k and had to be pitched. I don't understand how people can get so many miles out of brakes unless you drive 55 and accelerate very slowly

Marauderjack
02-19-2008, 03:20 PM
I cheat a little....I have two sets of front rotors and turn them at the first hint of surging!!:beer:

But.....I still cannot get over the OEM pads lasting so long??:confused:

I'm probably going to get all new stuff.....break out the big ole hammer for the rears and do a complete job soon!!:cool: No need to take chances!!:shake:

Stranger in the Black Sedan
02-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Oh that is not what I thought at all. Pads will last a really long time. I thought your stock rotors lasted 160k or whatever. Yeah if you keep your rotor surfaces perfect the pads will last a good long time. Every time I throw out pads w/ a brake job they probably have at least 50%, sometimes 75% left on them. They could be re-used, but w/ a new rotor I want perfectly flat pads on it so they bed in fast and evenly.

hbarrett
02-24-2008, 08:19 AM
I replaced my rear shocks when one leaked oil to the ground at 35000 miles, the passenger side. Replaced them with Monroe, but it would be the last time I would use the Monroe shock, the OEM is much better with dampening in both directions. My experience is that the Monroes are only good with dampening on the way dow, but lousy on the way up. Also, the construction of the shocks are completely different. With OEM, the oil is at the bottom of the shock I believe, and gives better up and down dampening, while the Monroes are oil at the top, and good in one direction, lousy in the other. Just my experience and 2 cents, others may have had better experiences.
:cool:I was curious how often everybody is replacing their shocks? I do about 75 % of my driving on Turnpike where the road is as smooth as a baby's butt, the balance in the city. My shocks still seem very tight and still have a very firm ride. My Marauder has 81 K on it and the shocks seem fine. I avoid potholes and road hazzards and bumps like a phanatic. How often do most of you change and do you use originals or Monroe or some other brand? I do not race the Marauder so I don't want anything that would give a stiffer ride than the originals. What brands and model do members prefer and what did they cost installed?

kamikaze2899
02-25-2008, 04:50 AM
I do lots of driving over less than perfect roads, (Hawaii roads SUCK!!) and definitely harsh conditions. My OEM shocks are still nice and firm, with 73k miles on them. The brakes are another story. At 33k miles they shuddered, and chattered like you wouldn't believe, and also had stress fractures across the surface. Changed all four corners to cross drilled/slotted, and haven't had a problem since.