PDA

View Full Version : Vortech belt routing

2ndMDRebel
02-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Ok, keep in mind I go with tools like explosive things go with open flames... my belt tensioner failed and has sprayed grease/oily stuff all over the timing cover. I have the supercharger removed and will be reassembling everything starting tomorrow morning. What I forgot to do was sketch how the belt was routed soooooooooo can anyone throw me a hint here?

Also, while the supercharger unit is removed, is there anything I should do as far as maintenance? I did notice a drop of oil on the lip of the intake just in front of the impellers... is that normal?

The belt is 14 months old and has about 10k miles on it, switch it out or let it be?

So far its not as difficult as I thought it was going to be.

KillJoy
02-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Go and download the Vortech Manual for the Mach 1.

It is the Same.

KillJoy

PS - You do not need to remove the Head Unit to swap out the Tensioner. Just release the Tension, pop off the belt, and remove the 1 bolt that holds the Tensioner in place. Wiggle it out, wiggle in the new, and reverse.

:up:

Zack
02-22-2008, 06:29 PM
The oil you see is normal

Zack
02-22-2008, 06:31 PM
As for the belt, there should be about 1/4 -1/2" between the tensioner and the stop. Loose belts are NO GOOD

2ndMDRebel
02-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Thanks guys, downloaded the routing and stopped worrying about the oil. Got the job done this morning. hardest thing was grinding the new tensioner, it was an updated part # and had a large lip that had to be removed because it was interfering with the s/c mounting plate. Second hardest thing was getting that belt back on, took me and one of my techs a few tries but finally got it.

It was all very worth the effort though, I can't believe how much power the car had lost. With a new tensioner and belt this thing is back in the scary category!

sailsmen
02-23-2008, 07:07 PM
I am glad it worked out. Does the S/C have to be removed or can it be loosened enough to get the belt off?

What type of belt are you running gator boack or gates?

ps Every time I see you r time in your sig I am in awe! Is it possible to get a list of your mods?

KillJoy
02-23-2008, 07:09 PM
I am glad it worked out. Does the S/C have to be removed or can it be loosened enough to get the belt off?

Ugh..... yup.... head unit's gotta come off..... belt is routed around a stud....

KillJoy