PDA

View Full Version : An esoteric question J-mod + tune

Pat
02-22-2008, 08:15 PM
There was an old J-mod thread resurrected a few days ago and full of info it is.

But it raised a question in my mind about the compatibility of the J-mod and the aftermarket tunes that change the firmness of the shifts.

If I understand the J-mod it allows more fluid into various chambers that relate to shifting firmness and quicker gear changing. It also provides for the removal of several springs that also affect shifting response and firmness.

Because the aftermarket tunes also improve shifting firmness and such would the two modification compliment each other or overstress the tranny?

Am I correct or just misinterpreting the affects of the two modifications.

Zack
02-22-2008, 08:22 PM
The 2 work great together.
Have your tuner load Options into the device so you can adjust shift firmness to your liking.

Marauderjack
02-23-2008, 05:22 AM
J-Mod makes 1-2 and 2-3 shifts VERY FIRM and most will advise that you keep stock line pressure!!:cool4:

I had my tuner return my shift pressure to "Stock" when I did the J-Mod.....It was still very harsh on the 1-2 shift!!:argue:

I bought a spring kit from Darrin to take some of the bite out of the 1-2 shift in mine!!:beer: At moderate acceleration it snaps into 2nd but not as harsh as before....WOT the 1-2 is very crisp since WOT line pressure is higher!!:cool:

I would say do the mod with stock shift pressure.....test it and if you want more then you can start playing with the pressure??:eek:

Marauderjack:burnout:

Local Boy
02-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Lets not forget...by asking your trans pump to increase line pressure (via software - Tune), you shorten its longevity...simply cause its working harder...

This is why mechanical methods (valve body mod) is prefered...

At the same time, the ability to adjust (fine tune) shift firmness lies in the software...

With both...you accomplish firmness mechanicaly (valve body), and have the ability to instruct your (trans) pump to give you more (software)...

I have both...They do work together very nicely...

ALOHA

SMOKE
02-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Stop making me look up fancy words!
:stupid:

Actually, I'm better for looking up the definition, and some good technical feedback for the ole noggin...

Carry on...

Jonathan