PDA

View Full Version : JLT Crown Vic testing,results and pricing

Tucker
03-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Well, as many of you have read we came up with an easy to install and inexpensive kit for the Crown Vic/Grand Marq and tested it a few weeks back.
Results were great and right on par with other JLT kits we have for the Mustang and Marauder.
Well we got our proto type parts in and decided to do even more testing.
Many think under hood temps are in the 180-200+ degree range and that’s just not so. Look under your hood and down, you can see the ground. Also, see the huge holes in the radiator support directly in front of where the JLT filter sits? Tons of air flows in and all around the engine compartment when you’re driving.
To prove this fact we can simply data log inlet air temps with a SCT X-3, Livewire or any number of tuning and data logging devices. Not only did we do this, we video taped it.

Test conditions 32-35 degrees. Exact temps are shown through out the videos. Now, the test is to show that both, the stock airbox and JLT kit will get an increase and decrease in IAT’s. What we want to show you is that BOTH do it, but at what speed your IAT’s will come down when you start to move. This will work the same with outside 35 degree temps and 90 degree temps. Take a look,
City driving:
You can easily see in the video that with the stock airbox, IAT's (Inlet air temps) stay about 8-10 degrees above ambient air temps when in 30-35 mph traffic. They rise to about 52 at a stop light and slowly come back down to 36-38 degrees when you get rolling back to 30-35mph.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlg7mycPzRo
Highway driving:
When getting on the highway IAT's were 6 degrees above ambient slowly coming down to 2-3 degrees above ambient. It took a very long time and speeds of 60-65 mph to get actual ambient air temp.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJi2bXQ4TUE
Now the JLT results:
Same conditions as all testing was done the same day with in the same hour.
City driving:
Very fast the IAT's were within 2 degrees of ambient air temps. At speeds of 35 we could even get ambient air temps for IAT's. Stop at a light and IAT's slowly creep up to 48 and quickly come back down to near ambient temp at 35 mph.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJph8HDRThw
Highway driving:
Getting on the highway the IAT's were already ambient temp at 32 degrees and stayed there during the 55-60 mph cruise. Flat foot the throttle and temps raise to 36-38 and quickly drop to 32 again.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xf1vgOaueU

Sit test.
We parked the car for 45 seconds and drove off.
The JLT kit IAT's climbed to 58-60 degrees and as we stared moving dropped at a rate of 2 degrees per every 1-2 seconds at 30-35 mph. Very fast.

The Stock air box climbed to a lower 52 degrees, but slowly dropped to the 8-10 degrees above ambient temps we saw in the city driving test.
What I found was that the open filter got the cool outside air much faster then the closed in airbox. Sitting temps climbed higher, but dropped fast when driving.

You need power when your moving, not sitting still. Also, getting ambient temps was much easier with the JLT then the stock box, for the same reason. Your car needs to breath. This also holds true in summer driving. You want to see the rate of increase and drop of IAT’s and also note that the stock box will get almost as hot as a free breathing JLT kit.
The longer it takes to get your IAT's down the longer your computer will pull timing.

We also dynoed the car again to see if we could repeat the last test.
For the dyno test, we monitored coolant temps to make sure every run was done at the same 188-190 degree coolant temps to make the test as equal as possible.
Run 1 for the day (run file#7) is fully stock, stock airbox and stock tune. We even disconnected the battery this time to clear the computer of any adaptive learning and be equal Vs. the JLT install. (another thing people claimed was wrong in the last test)
182.59 RWHP and 213.48 RWTQ
Lower then the stock run last time, but this is why you MUST DO A BASE LINE RUN THE SAME DAY YOU MAKE CHANGES! Your car will make different power everyday, period. You can not compare dyno results from last month to today. This is a HUGE misconception and very over looked part of dyno testing done by customers. Very important.

Anyway, run 2 (run file #8) we installed the JLT intake (10 minute job), disconnected the battery to clear the computer just like we did on the stock run. Let me explain this as many wanted to think this was a way to fool the computer. All intake kits require this. Why? It’s a quicker way to get the MAF to adjust to the new air and make needed timing and fuel adjustments. It's going to do it anyway after a few miles of driving, but this way is quicker.
So this time the A/F's with the JLT were almost exactly what they were stock, within .2-.4. Perfect.
Peak gains are good at 6 RWHP and 10 RWTQ, but as you see by the graph the gains were through out the rpm range and any where from 6 to a crazy 22 RWHP at 5900rpm. The 22 is a freak, but it's their.
Tq gains were great at 15 @ 3900 averaging 8-10 through out up to 12 and 14 above 5500rpm.
This is right on with many of the kits we have and very repeatable when tested correctly.
A little info about hood up Vs. hood down dyno testing.
Tests are done with the hood up for a very good reason. NO AMOUNT OF DYNO FANS CAN SIMULATE DRIVING SPEEDS. So to be fair to testnig is done with the hood up.
Well, let's make everyone happy and close the hood.
Run 3 (runfile #9) is stock hood up Vs. JLT hood closed.
We still made good gains of 4.4 RWHP and 6.2 Peak and average 6-8 hp across the rpm range and even higher in the upper rpms. That's a good gain for a much lower airflow then on the street.
First graph is stock Vs. JLT and 2nd is stock hood up Vs. JLT hood closed.
You will see in the pictures this is not an open filter under the hood. The heat shield on the JLT kit is designed so it sits just ¼” from the hood liner when the hood is closed and surrounds the filter on all sides and back to block the radiant heat at idle and low speed, but is open at the front to get all that cool outside air when you get moving.
We have been doing this for a while now and test everything we sell. If it doesn't make power or is bad for the vehicle, we don't make it.
The CV/GM community came to me asking for a kit, I did and got tons of slack from the members of crownvic.net. Seems as if they are getting over loaded with the wrong info from people tying to sell very expensive kits that include the Marauder MAF, airbox and a full SCT tune. This may work, but it's not needed to make power. For the $600+ your getting maybe 6-8 RWHP. I say maybe, because they don't even have dyno proof.
People, if you look at our record, read our results, see the videos and still don't want to buy it, don't, but be a smarter consumer and ask everyone for proof of their claims. It's just smart.
Ask those vendors to :
Show me IAT's of the MM box on a CV!
Show me dyno testing results of the MM box on a CV!
Do what I did, before you post what you "think" I did wrong or should do.

Were not here to lie or cheat anyone in the panther community, it's not worth it.
Your CV and GM is just like any other car on the road and responds to the same mods the same way. Don't let anybody tell you any different.
Thanks for reading this way too long post.
BTW,
ONLY $129
Jay

magindat
03-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Nice and thorough work, Jay. I hope your professional testing nets you enough sales to pay for itself!

The reason others don't test so thoroughly is because it's not cheap to test. Here, you get very extensive testing and proof the cost of which does not seem to be passed to the consumer via higher price.

Kudos, Jay.

whoskal
03-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Nice write up!!!

Eric91Z
03-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Jay,

Are you using a similiar heat sheild on the Marauder kits now, too? The one I have only has coverage on the bottom and engine side of the filter - nothing on the fender side.

Just curious. And nice write up and testing. I still stand by your product no matter when car it is on.

Tucker
03-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Eric, this is a totally different kit for the CV/GM.

The Marauder kit is open on the fender side to get air the same way this is.

Thanks guys
Jay

OneBADLsE
03-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Watching for when this kit becomes available! Defintaly on my must buy list. Excellent write up

OneBADLsE
03-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Also, was this a 2002+ with PI heads?

Krytin
03-03-2008, 11:13 AM
This will be perfect for my daughter's '04 CV LX Sport!

Tucker
03-03-2008, 12:38 PM
I don't know about the PI heads.
Maybe someone can help out on the years they were used.
I know the Mustangs got them in 99.
This should fit any 92-04 CV/GM/TC Ex. 04 CVPI

offroadkarter
03-03-2008, 03:23 PM

crown vics got them i believe 01 and up :confused:

larryo340
03-03-2008, 03:31 PM

crown vics got them i believe 01 and up :confused:
^^^^^That should be correct '01 and up has PI heads.

OneBADLsE
03-03-2008, 05:29 PM

Well - my question is, was the base line run done with a 2002+ Crown/<Marq?

OneBADLsE
03-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Well - my question is, was the base line run done with a 2002+ Crown/<Marq?

Yes it was. Answered my own Q ;)

Raudermaster
03-03-2008, 06:01 PM
I could have sworn PI heads were introduced in '01 and not in '02. BTW Jay, great write up and another great looking kit.

offroadkarter
03-03-2008, 06:21 PM
I could have sworn PI heads were introduced in '01 and not in '02. BTW Jay, great write up and another great looking kit.

thats what im leaning towards to:confused:

Raudermaster
03-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Where's my trusty Ford Index Manual.

PMing drock96marquis:
lol

larryo340
03-03-2008, 09:50 PM
It was '01, I corrected my mistake in my above post :o

PhastPhil
03-03-2008, 11:44 PM
This kit is definitely on my to do list !

Tucker
03-04-2008, 05:42 AM
Thanks guys.

Jay

Embassy
03-05-2008, 10:33 AM
This old Crown Vic guru can confirm that PI heads were added on 2001 models.

On topic: It looks like an outstanding kit.

offroadking208
03-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Lol, yea. the PI Intake was most def introduced in 2001 bc i had to swap them on to my 2000 :)

Eric91Z
03-09-2008, 02:40 PM
OK, just a couple of quick pictures of my home made JLT to run with the Marauder 80MM MAF that I already had on the car. Again, I have the kit on my Marauder already so figured, as a couple of others have said, that the Marauder adapter, heat shield, and air filter should work.

Now, my CVPI is an '03 so I can only speak to that. I ordered the 80-90mm adapter, Marauder heat shield, and already had a spare Marauder size air filter at home. This is not a "Tucker Approved Kit". I did this on my own just to see if it would work.

Installed today. Everything fit perfectly - for both installing of Tucker's parts and back in the engine bay. Only thing I might look at doing is building a support piece at the air filter end as the rubber Zip Tube on the CVPI is much more flexible than the intake tube for the Marauder so there is more movement from the air filter on the end.

Disconnected the battery during install. Took about 20 minutes total, but that included cleaning the MAF on the CVPI and the Marauder. I actually installed the new heat shield on the Marauder setup and the heat shield from the Marauder was put on the CVPI. Re-installed the Marauder setup, removed the Marauder air box from the CPVI setup, installed the JLT parts, and re-installed in the car. Reconnected battery and started the car and it fired right now.

No driving impressions as of yet.

Here are some pictures. Sorry for the dirty engine bay, but it has been a rough winter around here.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/1/3/5/IMG_0331.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/1/3/5/IMG_0330.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/1/3/5/IMG_0328.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/1/3/5/IMG_0327.JPG

Tucker
03-10-2008, 04:58 AM
Looks good Eric.

Jay

Eric91Z
03-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Well, finally got to drive the car today. First time since installing the JLT parts yesterday. Conditions: cool - about 32 degrees, streets mostly dry except spots here and there from snow melting on the sides of the roads.

Got the car warmed up with a little driving. Then went WOT. WOW, what a sweet intake noise!! I love it. That alone is worth the price of admission. Throttle response seems better and low end/off the line torque seems better (which could be benefit of the better throttle response).

Background: I bought the car May of last year. Ran pretty crappy at the time. Did new plugs, new fuel filter, and Searfoam. Car ran better, but nothing great. Then did the MZT with Lonnie's 89 octane tune. Much better, pulled harder, and of course the shifts were better.

Then added the JLT Marauder adapter, heat shield, and air filter on Sunday. Just another step forward in overall driveability. Definitely, by the seat-of-pants-meter, it pulls harder and runs smoother. Can't wait to get the new mufflers and tips put on. That with the new intake noise will at least make the car sound like it has a V8 in it.

Will drive it for a couple of days and see how the mounting does and how much it seems to be moving around in there.

Tucker
03-11-2008, 04:54 AM
Good to hear Eric, thanks for the feedback.

Jay

Tucker
03-26-2008, 06:22 AM
CV/GM/TC kits are in stock and shipping:
http://jlttruecoldair.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_50

ludwigvan968
04-21-2008, 08:10 AM
Yeah, I just want to say I am still enjoying this kit, it is awesome!!! Has anyone else tried it?

MR_Rocket_Man
04-21-2008, 03:21 PM
I really like this kit and I am very satisfied with the product and the service.

computertech
04-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Cant wait to get it under my hood ! :cool4:

Brutus
05-05-2008, 07:54 AM
Will this fit an 06 Crown Vic Police Interceptor???

Tucker
05-05-2008, 11:08 AM
No sorry
Thanks
Jay

Blackened300a
05-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Now that Im a crown vic owner, Im strongly thinking about this.

offroadkarter
05-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Now that Im a crown vic owner, Im strongly thinking about this.

Just do it already, or better yet, get a 80mm maf, a BOC tune, and then get the 80mm adapter and 11" filter :)

Tucker
05-08-2008, 05:00 AM
Not really "better" yet.
80mm MAF
SCT tuner and tune
Filter
MAF adaptor
$550-600 No heat shield, No support and about the same HP gain as our JLT for hundreds less.
:)

rvaldez1
05-15-2008, 02:01 PM
I just installed the kit last nite, it was a very simple install, and fit without any fuss. The car now idles a but smoother, and sounds much throatier...not to mention the swoosh at WOT. The car feels like it has a greater punch in the 25 to 60 MPH range. I strongly reccomend the kit.

ludwigvan968
05-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Yeah I am really enjoying mine now that I got an SCT tune. The tune really helped firm up my shifts, the car now chirps on WOT 1-2 shift which is coo. Anyway, I highly recommend the JLT for the price and performance gains, it is nice.

Tucker
07-15-2008, 05:00 AM
Parts will be here tomorrow and back in stock.
Sorry for the delay

Jay

Tucker
10-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Back in stock and shipping

Thank you
Jay