PDA

View Full Version : Guitar for sale, electric, good for starters or pros

Breadfan
03-06-2008, 08:57 AM
All,

(Edit: Sorry for writing so much but I wanted to be descriptive on this item. :) )

I am selling my Dean Vendetta XM electric guitar.

Price = $100, Prefer Local Pickup to CAM

Description:

When I bought this guitar it wasn't perfect out of the box. One of the pots was loose so I repaired that. It also has a very small 1 inch long knot in the wood on the back of the neck - it is perfectly smooth and doesn't affect playbility or the guitars structure in anyway, and isn't easy to see unless you are looking. In additon, the action wasn't the best out of the box so I did some work to improve the playability in terms of truss rod adjustment and bridge height.

It still needs a bit of work to be perfect, so I will be doing a few more things to it before selling. I like to think I'm good at fine tuning the setup on a guitar, and I believe this one will end up great. I will fine tune bridge height, neck position, and verify tuning.

In addition I didn't like the strings it shipped with so I replaced them with a set of 10-46 Ernie Ball slinkys.

So you will get a Dean Vendetta XM that has been setup and will play better than a brand new one fresh out of the box. In addition you get the box (yah!), and accessories it came with, which were only the truss rod tool and a rather cheap and thin guitar cable.

By budget price I mean budget, these retail for 100-120 bucks.

I am selling this one for $100 as it is pretty much brand new (bought December 2007), has new/better strings, and will be be setup for better playabiltiy than a stock Vendetta.

I'm selling this because I have a few other guitars and do not need this one, and would rather have a new effects pedal or perhaps upgraded pickups for one of my other guitars.

If interested let me know, I would prefer to do local pickup/delivery, for instance I could bring to a CAM meet or you could pick it up. I will consider shipping if someone wants it far away, I believe I have the original shipping box it came in, I do not know how much shipping would cost, probably $20-30 as it may be oversize box.

I will need a day or two to finish tweaking the setup, but should have that done by Saturday and I can let you know what was done.

Some More about this guitar...

I bought this guitar in December 2007, mainly out of curiousity.

The Vendetta XM is a "budget" guitar but has many features not found on comparably priced guitars. It's low price and good features caught my attention about a year ago, and curiousity got the best of me so I picked one up to try.

Dean is a brand name, one of the bigger names who played Dean guitars was the late Dimebag Darrell from Pantera.

One of the big deals about this budget guitar is the fact that it's a 24-fret guitar with dual humbuckers. That's hard to find in this low price range. That makes it great not just for shredding and blues but screamin' leads too. ;)

The body is made of paulownia and is very light yet has lots of resonance. It has a string through design with a fixed bridge and it gives it some fairly good tone.

It has dual humbucker pickups which are really not bad for a budget guitar. You can get some good sound of them, and they're better than some stock pickups I've played on guitars costing hundreds more.

The finish is satin with a natural wood look. It looks very nice as is and the natural satin look is pretty nice looking. At the same time if you were so inclined it's a nice canvas for a custom paint job.

The neck features 24 jumbo frets and it's a nice medium width neck - not too wide but not too narrow. It plays very comfortably.

For the price this is a 5 star guitar, I do not know if you can find a better entry level guitar. Those who are seasoned players looking for a beater guitar this will play and sound nice on a budget. The body is very light though which some really enjoy but those used to heavier woods may find odd at first.

If you are looking to play guitar I would recommend this guitar (either mine or a new Vendetta XM) especially if you like metal/rock, it will also play blues and jazz very well.

If you are a beginner and want to get into guitars pick this up and get either a small practice amp or if you have a computer with decent speakers a Line6 GuitarPort, this would be a great combo to learn/start out from.

Here's a bit of my take on this guitar, pros and cons-wise:

Pros:
- Great features for the price
- Good tone, plays well
- 24 frets (dual octave)
- full size guitar (others in price range are sometimes 3/4 size)
- Fixed bridge gives good tone, easy string changes

Cons
- Tuners are not the best but get the job done
- fixed bridge means no "whammy" bar but you should learn to bend your strings first anyway! (or buy a whammy pedal like Herman Li from Dragonforce - then again he's got a floyd rose too so...well...that's why the fixed bridge is a con as well as a pro!)

I'm sure there's more for both but those were in my head as I was writing this.

Here's the link at Guitar Center for this guitar including some reviews. Note, the pictures on the website make this guitar appear "lighter" in color than it really is, see my pics below: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Vendetta-XM-Electric-Guitar-103933354-i1147572.gc

Pics:

http://www.ionicflux.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/normal_IMG_2681.JPG

http://www.ionicflux.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/normal_IMG_2682.JPG

arejayesss
03-06-2008, 09:09 AM
I'm selling this because I have a few other guitars and do not need this one, and would rather have a new effects pedal or perhaps upgraded pickups for one of my other guitars.

Sorry to hijack, but what kind of effects pedals are you lookin for? I'm doin' some spring cleaning in my studio. I have several guitar pedals for sale

Cheeseheadbob
03-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Mike, I will take it. My soon to be 10 year old son loves music and wants a set of drums for his birthday.... I think the guitar will cure that thought. Absolutely no disrespect to drummers, I just don't think my sanity could stand 2-3 hours a day of him banging away. When I have a multiple car garage, then I will buy him a drum set. I will need some advice as to what he will need to get started. Thanks!:sing:

Breadfan
03-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Sorry to hijack, but what kind of effects pedals are you lookin for? I'm doin' some spring cleaning in my studio. I have several guitar pedals for sale

The new digitech multi-effects boxes look neat, the RP250 or 350 have caught my eye http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-RP350-Multi-Effects-Pedal?sku=156608

Apparently the sounds are very good plus they have a built in whammy effect with expression pedal. I've been wanting to play with a whammy pedal, but the digitech whammy pedal itself is $200 so I figured a multeffects box would be a better bang for the buck.

If not that I want a better set of pickups for my jackson, I believe I will try to new Seymour duncan blackout active pickups which are getting great reviews and in some ears beating EMG's.

Breadfan
03-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Mike, I will take it. My soon to be 10 year old son loves music and wants a set of drums for his birthday.... I think the guitar will cure that thought. Absolutely no disrespect to drummers, I just don't think my sanity could stand 2-3 hours a day of him banging away. When I have a multiple car garage, then I will buy him a drum set. I will need some advice as to what he will need to get started. Thanks!:sing:

Sure thing Bob! I will do some work on it and get it setup, this will help it be easier to play if the action is set good. If I don't do it during the week I'll get it done this weekend.

If you want any advice on a good starter amp or practice tools let me know.

So FYI in this for sale thread, pending sale

arejayesss
03-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Hey Mike, here is a link to a boss GT-3 on Ebay right now. This one is actually at No Reserve and currently up to about $40. This is an awesome pedal, oldie but a goodie. If it does get too high for you (usually they sell for 100-200 + shipping) I have one I'm selling. I am using the Gt-8 currently and do not need both. I have always been happy with Boss effects;)
http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSS-GT-3-GUITAR-MULTI-EFFECT-PROCESSOR-PEDAL-NR_W0QQitemZ290211576734QQihZ0 19QQcategoryZ41419QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

TooManyFords
03-06-2008, 10:20 AM
I'm next in line if it falls through. Always wanted to learn to play guitar other than my air, which I am a master of...

:P