PDA

View Full Version : Brake calipers - repair or replace?

Paul
03-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Attempted to bleed/flush the brake lines today for first time since I bought my car a year ago. I got started by twisting off the exterior portion of the bleed screw on RR caliper. No fluid leaking, thank god, since this is my DD, but I now have the following choices:

take it to the dealer tomorrow morning and pay them to fix it,
attempt to drill out the stuck portion of the bleed screw and put in a new one,
buy a new caliper from the nearest FLAPS, bolt it on, bleed and flush the lines, move on.The car has 85k on the clock, and I'm 95% certain these stock calipers have never been rebuilt/replaced. I've never tried to drill out a bleed screw from a caliper, and I am concerned I may cause irreparable damage in the process. Given the mileage on them, would they be about due for a rebuild anyway?

(Note: I don't have the budget to upgrade at this time - my mod budget has been spent on the noic sc kit I'm waiting for the UPS man to deliver from DR)

I've pretty well made up my mind to go with option #3. Any advice from those who have blazed this trail? Thanks in advance.

jgc61sr2002
03-09-2008, 04:52 PM
I would also go with option # 3.

larryo340
03-09-2008, 04:59 PM
I'd go with option #3, but I would replace both calipers at that mileage to insure even braking.

Either way good luck. :beer:

jdando
03-09-2008, 05:04 PM
#3 sounds like the way to go if you do not have the money for a brake upgrade.

Blk Mamba
03-09-2008, 06:14 PM
I guess we are all in agreement, then, #3 it is, and I would also replace both, with loaded calipers, as they are usually less expensive then purchasing the parts separately.

finster101
03-09-2008, 06:23 PM
I would replace the pair. If the bleeder is so frozen as to break off chances are the other side is the same way. It is nearly impossible to E-Z out once broken.

Paul
03-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks a bunch guys. Replacing both had crossed my mind, but I wasn't sure. Makes good sense though. And I hadn't thought of the loaded calipers - I presume "loaded" means they come with brake pads? That's a great idea. The existing pads have some life left in them still, but while I'm there I might as well freshen them up.

Dennis Reinhart
03-09-2008, 07:05 PM
I have several sets laying around, if I can help give me a call.

Spectragod
03-09-2008, 07:05 PM
You can get loaded calipers with ceramic pads if you like, while at it, flush all your brake fluid and you'll be golden.

SG

whd507
03-09-2008, 07:30 PM
the loaded calipers (as well as the regular ones) I have at work and a t most chains have lifetime warranties, so if you intend to keep you Marauder as long as I intend to keep mine, that might be a good option. (free brakes for life)

if Dennis has one lying around, that might fit into your budget better. 85k miles isnt a whole heck of a lot, unless you are really thrashing on them.