PDA

View Full Version : So - you think this is fast, huh?

Mark [N4OGL]
08-13-2003, 08:42 AM
Okay - as most of you know, I'm headed to Monterey (CA) for the Historics. One of the joys of the trip is the ability to let 'er out on these wide open desert highways. So, Tuesday, between Salt Lake City and Elko (NV), I was able to enjoy some sustained cruising at 100 MPH - for about 6 hours! Not only that, earlier in the day in Wyoming, I was able to cruise at (an indicated) 130 MPH for about two hours. I slowed down because, frankly, driving at that velocity is <u>tiring!</u>. And the look of terror in the eyes of the sparse other traffic was disconcerting. ;-)

Too bad I can't do this in Chicago!

Mark

Mark [N4OGL]
08-13-2003, 07:39 PM
Now I know you'll hate me -- I just did an hour at <b>140 MPH </b> between Winnemucca and Reno.

Merc-O-matic
08-13-2003, 07:55 PM
After you land......give us a full report. Maybe you can stop
at the Bonneville Salt flats and really open her up.
Gotta love it! 73, N3LOL

bugsys03
08-13-2003, 09:23 PM
FMC and KB im sure are happy to know that your powerplant is bulletproof. Heck of a breakin run

SergntMac
08-13-2003, 09:29 PM
As Zack would say, you're "stupid fast' now. Congrats, and safe trip my friend. The Monterey festivities will love having you on board.

Just wondring, Mark, are you wearing your kilt?

chapel1
08-14-2003, 08:32 PM
Hello, Mark I hope your having fun and good luck to you.

studio460
08-14-2003, 09:12 PM
Wow, Mark!

After you reached 100 MPH, how long did the car take to get to 130 MPH? To 140 MPH? At what speed did you start fighting SERIOUS wind resistance? Did you feel any airflow going under the car, making it "float" to any noticable degree at those speeds?

gonzo50
08-15-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Mark [N4OGL]
Now I know you'll hate me -- I just did an hour at <b>140 MPH </b> between Winnemucca and Reno.
Is there a documented top-end speed for the Marauder S, if so what is it ? Was 140 mph at the "pedal to the metal" scenario or at the just teasing mode ? Thanks, and AWESOME!:up:

Mikeenh
08-15-2003, 11:59 AM
Gonzo50,
Get yourself a Reinhart chip an you can do 140.........in THIRD GEAR! :eek:

Mark [N4OGL]
08-16-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by NBC Shooter
After you reached 100 MPH, how long did the car take to get to 130 MPH? To 140 MPH? At what speed did you start fighting SERIOUS wind resistance? Did you feel any airflow going under the car, making it "float" to any noticable degree at those speeds?

I wasn't timing it - just having fun. Recalling it now, a couple days later, it seemed that 100-130 was about fifteen or twenty seconds, but I wasn't trying to do it quickly. 130-140 was maybe five to ten seconds difference, but again I wasn't trying to do it quickly. Just sorta 'ease up on it', if you know what I mean.

I did notice absolutely NO float - maybe attributable to the lowering KB does, plus my rear spoiler. At some speed, I suppose, the thing actually starts to become functional. Wind resistance started showing up around 125.

Originally posted by gonzo50
Was 140 mph at the "pedal to the metal" scenario or at the just teasing mode ?

I think there was about an inch of travel left in the pedal after 140, but I don't know yet how much difference it would make. 150 maybe?

Interesting Story Department:

So we go to dinner at Roy's at the Inn at Spanish Bay in Monterey last night (Friday). I get outta the car and start playing with a $20 bill as I ask the attendant if there is any way he could park it in the front driveway (as my friend's Cooper-S goes to the parking lot). The guy says "sure, I'll take care of it" and as I pass him the $20 he says "you know how the hotel industry works." I respond "I also know how 'thank you' works." During dinner, I slipped away for a few minutes to go out and look at it, parked next to a red-badge Bentley on one side and a Ferrari Maranello on the other side, and in a row that included a Lambourgini Gallardo, Ferrari 355, Scion Xb and two Ford GTs (red, and white). Sure looked nice sitting there.

So we come out after dinner and I hand the guy the claim check. When he brings the car the whole 40 feet over, he asks "What is this, anyway? I've never seen anything like it, and we see everything!" Needless to say, I gave him the whole story.

Still, the only other Marauder we've seen this weekend was the 1961 Parnelli Jones Pikes Peak car at the Ford '100 Years of Racing' display.

Tonight - it's the AFAS Art Show at Pebble Beach, followed by dinner at Carmel Chop House.

Oh yeah - I caught up with Brock Yates again today (which I'd brought my copy of "Cannonball!" for him to sign - darn!), and met Phil Hill, Pete Brock, Pete Lovely and Bobby Rahal (or, as the NASCAR guys refer to him, "Bobby-Ray Hall"). And Burt Levy (author of "The Last Open Road"), who lives in Chicago, too.

After reading Mac's post, I'm glad I'm here and not in Detroit.

More later from your intrepid journalist.