PDA

View Full Version : Last? Tune question.

Aren Jay
03-24-2008, 10:38 PM
So I have been thinking about getting a Lightning for Summer fun and truck hauling.

This would leave my Marauder for people hauling and winter use.

Now I understand that a Lidio tune, is perhaps better for me and my driving style in a performance environment. But how does it work in a winter environment? From the limited amount I understand about a DR tune, I think it might be better as a winter use tune. Better shifts and better converter lockup etc... Yes everyone says I need to pick one, but I like to know what I am getting.

Am I correct that Dennis might make a better driving in snow tune? Seems the Lidio tune just opens everything up and lets the power out. Dennis makes more control for the beast and brings the power in.

Is this right?

Is there a chart camparison of this and that between these tunes somewhere?

ckadiddle
03-25-2008, 06:35 AM
Your best bet might just be to restore the factory tune each winter when the snow/ice hits. Then put the Lidio or DR tune back in when weather clears in spring/summer. Less chance of you accidentally breaking traction with soft shifts and less power. Takes about five minutes to swap tunes back and forth with the xcal2.

Of course, I have lived in Florida all my life, so this is just theoretical thinking on my part. :)

MM03MOK
03-25-2008, 06:46 AM
Best to pick up the phone and talk to each. There is plenty of flexibility in a tune that either tuner can accommodate your circumstances. There are too many factors in the personal driving preferences of others to base your decision on someone else's experience. JUST DO IT! ;)

Aren Jay
03-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Yeah I hate talking over the phone, you never know who is listening. Plus all the long distance charges etc...

Much rather find what I need then go and buy it.

1stMerc
03-25-2008, 07:33 PM
My 2 cents. I have DR's base tune and oem's on the back and have had no problems this winter. This happened to be the worst winter (snow wise) since getting the car in Jan 05. and his tune Sept the same year.
Just a few mods.

No experience with Lidio's, so you're on your own for that.

Raudermaster
03-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Each tune has different parameters and functionality. Better to talk to them personally, or talk to someone who has used both tunes in winter. Personally, I don't think either one would make a difference in winter, either way, you're going to spin the tires one way or another.

Aren Jay
03-27-2008, 08:38 AM
A couple PM's I think I have my answer.

Cleared up a couple misconceptions and shall have to send some money away.

Professor
04-25-2008, 07:38 AM
So which way did you go and why??

QWK SVT
04-25-2008, 08:43 AM
I missed this post the first time around, but since it's at the top of the new tuning forum, I found it :cool:

I have a Lidio tune, and 4.10s.

This winter brought us (Toronto) one of the heaviest cumulative snowfalls that I can recall, with muliple 10+ inch snow days.

Lidio's tune has been excellent, all year round. With snow tires (which I consider mandatory, regardless of other modifications), the Marauder has performed flawlessly. I've seen the typical "winter gas" decrease in mileage, but it picks back up, come spring time. Never detonation, or any other adverse reactions.

In very slippery conditions, I've found that the 4.10s can give a little too much wheel spin from a stop in the snow, causing the traction control to kick in. I disable to traction control fro a few seconds, to get the car moving, then re-engage it, once rolling.

Unless you specifically asked for it, I'm pretty sure that both tuners would provide a base tune that would account for summer/winter differences (temps, air density, etc). As stated above, your best bet would be to call the tuner of choice, and talk to them... Go over what you want and need (current mods, future plans and any other requirements, such as a "bad gas tune", etc.), and make sure you're comfortable with their answers. Both offer great products, so you can't go wrong.

Aren Jay
05-06-2008, 07:26 PM
That is funny I get better mileage in the winter,
go from 14 MPG summer to 17.2 MPG winter.

QWK SVT
05-07-2008, 09:19 AM
That is funny I get better mileage in the winter,
go from 14 MPG summer to 17.2 MPG winter.

That sounds about right, for the winter mileage... I get about 16-17mpg, but commute from the 'burbs to Dowtown Toronto, everyday (25KM one way, and useually takes 45-minutes to drive). You're summer mileage is WAAY low... If I'm not goof around a lot, 20mpg isn't too hard to do. This is also with 4.10s...

Maybe you're a little heavier on the throttle, when the weather's nice! :burnout:

I know I am ;)

Aren Jay
05-23-2008, 01:10 PM
On highway driving I can average 24 mpg, but city use I'm a speed limit driving green light to posted limit racer. I need not go really fast, just as long as I get there in as little time possible.