PDA

View Full Version : 93 Octane tune

freakstatus
03-27-2008, 09:51 AM
I have a Lidio loaded XCal2 that has a 4.10 tune for 93 octane. I am planning on installing 4.10's in the near future but with the steadily climbing gas prices and the scarcity of 93 octane gas in my area, I am wondering if it would be possible to change the parameters of the tune to 91 Octane? Does anyone know how to do this or is it taboo to mess with Lidios tunes? Can I be sent a new tune or will I need to send the Xcal back to Lidio? I believe I am locked out of the tune when I try to access it on my laptop through the Extreme tune software. Thanks in advance for any input.:burnout:

Breadfan
03-27-2008, 09:55 AM
Contact Lidio and ask to exchange the 93 tune file with a 91 octane tune.

By the way, I don't know what gas is like where you are, but for where I live we actually don't have 91 octane, just 93, then 89 and 87. So even with a 91 tune I would use 93 around here. Maybe elsewhere there are choices that include 91 and 93, and I take it 91 is cheaper.

freakstatus
03-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Most of our common stations here (Chevron, Shell, Esso, Petro Canada) have 87, 89, 91.

For anything higher we need the specialized stations like Mohawk and Husky (which can be hard to find), which carry 94 octane but no 93.

Raudermaster
03-27-2008, 10:14 AM
That's odd, around here 91 is the odd man out, just usually 87,89, and 93.

Breadfan
03-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Well good news is Lidio has a 91 octane tune that will work well for you, some places only have 91.

I have a 91 tune as a backup, good for if I am not sure of fuel quality in the area, crummy winter gas, or long trips where I may leave the 93 octane area and head to a 91 octane place

freakstatus
03-27-2008, 10:17 AM
I wonder if your 93 is the same price as our 91? What are the negative side effects of running 91 octane in a 93 tune?

Breadfan
03-27-2008, 10:19 AM
I wonder if your 93 is the same price as our 91? What are the negative side effects of running 91 octane in a 93 tune?

Pre igntion, detonation, and potential motor damage.

If it happened by accident, and you weren't doing WOT, you might find the above statement wouldn't occur, but running lower octane tune than what's specified can cause such things.

freakstatus
03-27-2008, 01:44 PM
What about running 94 octane in a 93 tune?

Breadfan
03-27-2008, 01:47 PM
What about running 94 octane in a 93 tune?

Shouldn't be a problem. :)

freakstatus
03-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Shouldn't be a problem. :)

Except that it'll probably cost me 5 bucks a gallon.:(

Lidio
03-27-2008, 02:36 PM
I have a Lidio loaded XCal2 that has a 4.10 tune for 93 octane. I am planning on installing 4.10's in the near future but with the steadily climbing gas prices and the scarcity of 93 octane gas in my area, I am wondering if it would be possible to change the parameters of the tune to 91 Octane? Does anyone know how to do this or is it taboo to mess with Lidios tunes? Can I be sent a new tune or will I need to send the Xcal back to Lidio? I believe I am locked out of the tune when I try to access it on my laptop through the Extreme tune software. Thanks in advance for any input.:burnout:

Generally when I sell people our MM Xcal tunes, I install both 93 and 91 Octane tunes, and also 3.55 or 4.10s too. The problem is you only have three slots for all of this. Even though the Xcal's have some end user adjustability for both spark and ring & pinion changes, the out come can some times be limited. Also you won’t be able to tweak an Xcal that we sell with any thing (like a laptop) because we simply don’t allow that with our tunes or give out the original files.
We only charge the S/H and a very small amount to make some adjustments on Xcal's that were bought from us originally. And I turn them around very quickly, plus you won’t need to upload the stock tune back into either. Just keep driving it with the tune you like and send the unit back for the changes and simply flash in the revised tune/tunes and go from there.

Thanks

freakstatus
03-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Well, that was easy. I'm in Canada and I remember there was an issue shipping to Canada before. If I pay the S&H, will that be ok? I'll call or e-mail you shortly to get the details.

Thanks!

UncleLar
03-27-2008, 03:16 PM
When I ordered my XCal Lidio loaded a 93 octane tune for me with the FIPK and 3.55 gears,a 93 octane tune with the FIPK and 4.10 gears and a 91 octane tune with the FIPK and 4.10's for road trips in case 93 isn't available.

max454
03-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Generally when I sell people our MM Xcal tunes, I install both 93 and 91 Octane tunes, and also 3.55 or 4.10s too. The problem is you only have three slots for all of this. Even though the Xcal's have some end user adjustability for both spark and ring & pinion changes, the out come can some times be limited. Also you won’t be able to tweak an Xcal that we sell with any thing (like a laptop) because we simply don’t allow that with our tunes or give out the original files.
We only charge the S/H and a very small amount to make some adjustments on Xcal's that were bought from us originally. And I turn them around very quickly, plus you won’t need to upload the stock tune back into either. Just keep driving it with the tune you like and send the unit back for the changes and simply flash in the revised tune/tunes and go from there.

Thanks how can i tell whattune i have from you ?
my 3 choices where stock, 3.55 and 4.10 so ,is it for 91 or 93 ?

CanadaMarauder
03-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Hey Derek, I know DR e-mailed me an updated tune for my car, not sure if thats cool with Lidio or not due to possible tune copying (grrrr). I run Chevron 94 with my DR 93 tune. You can alway put it back to stock hahaha sorry that was a good one.

freakstatus
03-29-2008, 09:54 PM
how can i tell whattune i have from you ?
my 3 choices where stock, 3.55 and 4.10 so ,is it for 91 or 93 ?

When you plug in the XCal to your cars computer you can cycle through the tunes on the handheld device. Just scroll up and down on it.