PDA

View Full Version : That glass like look???

MarauderMike
07-13-2002, 04:46 PM
Ok, I did the Simoniz System 5 protection on my Marauder which should protect from the enviormental issues. How about keeping the car looking great? I hate swirl marks, even though I'm hand washing and drying I still have them. How about some input on getting the glass like look on my Marauder?

Logan
07-13-2002, 06:40 PM
Ever wonder how those car show cars keep their paint so deep and shiny with no imperfections? One word, Zaino.

Visit http://www.zainobros.com

Once you've done the system from start to finish, you'll never go back to conventional waxes...

MarauderMike
07-13-2002, 06:47 PM
Thanks for that info Logan, the other question still is if it can be applied over that Simoniz system, I've sent a message off to Zaino I'll see what kind of answer I get and post it.

tetsu
07-13-2002, 07:54 PM
That Zaino bros system looks real sweet. But, holy cats thats gonna
be alot of work to put on so many coats with intermediate steps and all that.

Once you get the whole Zaino system loaded on, how long does it last thru washs? I did mine with Meguires liquid carnuba 2 weeks ago and have been needing to wash twice/week and it already is swirled and needs a new wax job. I put two coats of Mequires liquid carnuba

Johnny

b4z
07-14-2002, 05:31 AM
Marauder Mike,

I have used the Mother's 3 step system on and off for about 9 years.
When I don't have the time for it I use their cleaner wax or "Reflections, which is kind of hard to get off.

The best way to hide swirls and those fine spider web scratches is to use some kind of a glaze. I use Mother's Sealer and Glaze. Then their Carnuba Wax over it.

The Glaze really gives the car the "wet" look.

My Camaro has a 9 year old paint job and it is so shiny after using the glaze that you can't even look at in the sun.

Another more expensive way to get the wet look is to have somebody wet sand your car to remove the orange peel. But that really is expensive and time consuming.

Jim
07-14-2002, 09:42 AM
Speaking of orange peel; after spending much time waxing my Mo, I can tell you it has zero orange peel. A surprising achievement, I think.

Well done, Ford.

BTW, I also have no swirls or hairline scratches, mainly (I believe) because I had the dealer, upon delivery, ONLY wash the car, and not buff/wax it. Keeping the hamfisted, buffer-wielding, lot-monkeys away from my fresh black paint has left it unblemished, so far!

-Jim

OKmrodr
07-14-2002, 11:40 AM
...ham-fisted, buffer wielding lot monkeys.....

Come on, Jim, tell us how your REALLY feel...:D :D :D

Jim
07-14-2002, 11:43 AM
Urm..

I meant "well intentioned but overworked, underpaid, buffer-wielding lot monkeys"?

-Jim

MarauderMike
07-14-2002, 01:44 PM
I like the monkey business angle, usually so true. Fortunately my dealer didn't let them at my MM, thank goodness!!! I did get and answer from Zaino Bros. Some good tips and yes I can use their products on my MM even with the Simoniz System having been put on.

TAF
07-14-2002, 04:39 PM
I just registered and see you are in ATL as well. I took delivery on 6/22 so you beat me by a couple of days.

Hope to see you on the streets. It's a lot of fun and a real "sleeper"...most just think it's the APD.

nhinterceptor
07-15-2002, 05:01 AM
I gave mine a couple coats of Liquid Glass. I'm a little dissatisfied with my paint. The hood was repainted at the factory, there's a few small particles in the paint and two small fish eyes on rear deck lid, approx. 1/8".

I applied an additional coat to the front bumper facia and header panel, the bugs wash right off. It builds up a protective coating.

This is the second Grd Mrq I have purchased that had factory rework done to the paint. My 2000 also had the hood repainted, they flooded the paint, you could see the build up near the front.

I use the Mothers products of my 2001 Ford F-150.

-Dan

GarageMahal
07-15-2002, 08:47 AM
I have been researching what I want to use to protect the finish of my first new car.

While wandering around the car I have found no less than 8 blemishes in the finish. They all are hazy circles about 6 inches across and are only visible in direct sunlight at the proper angles. Anyone have any ideas what caused them and how to get rid of them? I will be asking my dealer soon as well.

I also discovered a spot on the drivers door where the paint is gone! I am not sure if this is from some other test driver but it is not really in a location that could be scratched easily. The paint seems a little soft to me but I really don't know much about paint.

jta

mensrea
07-31-2002, 06:08 PM
OK, I admit it... I am a consumer reports junkie.
I looked up car wax polishes on their web page and they suggested ZYMOL, and I tried it. The stuff rocks, the finish looks great and it was a breeze to apply. You gotta try it.

Romo53
07-31-2002, 08:48 PM
I have found four blemishes in my paint. I actually found debris in the clear coat! Two spots that look like silicone intrusion. I remember at the Bloomington Corvette show the older cars with blems in the paint scored higher points but geez, this is rediculous.

GarageMahal
08-01-2002, 05:57 AM
I have ordered the full Zaino treatment. I still don't know what caused the hazy spots but I am going to try a clay bar and see if they go away. If they don't the dealer said to bring it back and they will fix it under warranty.

On a side note, the molding on the rear window is starting to come off. I need to make an appointment with the body shop at the dealer to get it fixed. I am tempted to just glue it back myself but hey, whats a warranty for ;)

jta

BISHOPSS95
08-01-2002, 06:26 AM
Your Atlanta metro Zano dealer is ---

Tom Garlands number is 678-714-8664. His address is:
1080 River Laurel Dr.
Suwanee, GA 30024

The stuff works great. Have used it all of my Impala's life. Great on black. No tooth brush needed it comes right off.

:)

Logan
08-01-2002, 11:28 AM
I've got a few mouldings going south. The chrome trim rubber lip molding on the drivers door has developed a blemish, the passenger side rear window weatherstripping has developed a tear, and the passenger front turn signal rubber trim is coming away from the car.

Saving it up for a rainy day fix...

Marsha
08-02-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by GarageMahal
I have been researching what I want to use to protect the finish of my first new car.

While wandering around the car I have found no less than 8 blemishes in the finish. They all are hazy circles about 6 inches across and are only visible in direct sunlight at the proper angles. Anyone have any ideas what caused them and how to get rid of them? I will be asking my dealer soon as well.

I also discovered a spot on the drivers door where the paint is gone! I am not sure if this is from some other test driver but it is not really in a location that could be scratched easily. The paint seems a little soft to me but I really don't know much about paint.

jt

Larry Vogel
08-02-2002, 07:00 PM
Clearcoats are soft, black will tend to show any flaw and we were repainting cars in the late 80's from the effects of Acid Rain. Cars around here in Mich come with the top surfaces covered in a plastic white film to try to combat it.

GarageMahal
08-08-2002, 03:02 PM
My first coat of Z5 polish is drying so I thought I would check in here.

I spent a good part of today using the clay bar on my Marauder and I am amazed how much junk it finds and takes off.

There were a lot of metal particles stuck in the finish, most of which were rusting. I wish I did this sooner. There are now several very small dull spots where the metal bits were. I hate to imagine how bad it would look if I didn't get them off now.

This is my first factory new car and every little imperfection is going to drive me crazy. Oh well, I will learn to deal with it ;) Hopefully the clay bar and Zaino polish fixes my large hazy spots.

jta

b4z
08-08-2002, 05:08 PM
Garagemahal,

Sounds like your car has rail dust on it. Very common.

TAF
08-08-2002, 05:56 PM
OK...I'm sold on the Zaino Bros. stuff. I've been on their site a couple of times since it was first mentioned here. And, I want to order tomorrow. It does sound a little confusing, though. Any advice as to what I should order and how much of each? Also, now you've sold me on the clay which I was going to skip.

Can anybody take the time to send me an email with help, guidance, instructions, etc. on these products.

Thanks...

Marsha
08-08-2002, 06:52 PM
Todd, I ordered Z2 for the wet look, Z5 for black paint swirls etc, Z6 gloss enhancer, Z7 car wash, and ZFX flash cure accelerator additive for the Z2 and Z5.

I had contacted Zaino, and they said this would be what I needed, I didn't do the clay bar as I didn't feel it was another necessary step. I have yet to use any of this due to weather conditions not being right. I will report when I use them. Good luck. By the way the directions are on their web site!
Marsha

BISHOPSS95
08-09-2002, 05:25 AM
Zaino

I first wash the car with Dawn. Get down to clearcoat. Use #1 first and cover with #2. Dont take #1 off just cover with #2 and repeat #2. I would get about 3 coats of #2 on.

Just a thought from a Zaino user

:)

GarageMahal
08-09-2002, 09:04 AM
I started with a complete wash with Dawn. It takes off just about everything so do not use it as a regular wash, only before applying a wax or sealer of some kind.

Next I used the clay bar per the instructions. It took a little while to get the hang of it but it started to go faster as I learned the right pressure. I used my finger nail to flick out a couple of the really stuck on bits of metal (I don't know if this is a good idea or not but it worked well for me). The real trick was using lots of lubricant, I used the Zaino car wash diluted in a spray bottle. I would clean a 10 square foot section and then rinse.

After I did the entire car with the clay bar I rinsed the entire vehicle thoroughly and dried it using several towels.

Now that I had a clean car I applied Z1. It went on easy although it does not leave much of a haze so I had to pay attention making sure I got the whole car. After the Z1, I applied Z5. I did not have any swirls to fix but I do have a bit of a scratch in the roof so I thought I would try it.

I waited nearly two hours for the Z5 to dry before wiping it off. I still think it was not 100% dry at that time which made it a little harder to wipe off. I used several large bath towels, turning frequently, to take the Z5 off.

Since I was running out of time (and daylight) I only got to apply the Z6 spray to the top surfaces of the car. This really brought out the shine. I was having some trouble with over spray however (it was a little breezy) and got to a point where I was misting the towel and wiping it on instead of spraying it on.

The finish really looks good now but I plan to use Z6 on the whole car and apply a coat of Z2 followed by Z6 yet again tomorrow.

I must say the products are easy to use but it certainly takes a lot of time and patience to get the best results.

jta

P.S. After all this the dull spots I have are still there although the are a LOT less noticable now. You could only see them at the proper angle in direct sun light and now you can't look at the car in direct sun withough being blinded :)

TAF
08-09-2002, 12:56 PM
Thanks for all the help...my order is being mailed today.

Todd

Exec
08-10-2002, 10:52 PM
I've been using Zaino since 1998, I used to use Zymol, Meguiers , Mothers,.. various others. It will be a long cold week in Hell before
I go back to anything else. The stuff rawx.. and smells good too

GarageMahal wait till you get multi coats of Z2 on.... better wear sunglasses.

Zaino on my Bronco Click (http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=3&gid=431202&uid=135439&imgid=4432459)

Zaino on My Firebird Click (http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=3&gid=431202&uid=135439&imgid=1972726)

Zaino on the Z Click (http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=3&gid=431202&uid=135439&imgid=4432351)

If the pics dont load... you may have to refresh the browser.. to get by the REFERER check

8Pistons
05-13-2003, 09:20 AM
A great wax for that glass look is Pinnacle's Souvaran Wax, which is a ultra refined Carnuba. They also sell micorfiber cloths that do not scratch the finish. It was recommended to me by a car detailer.

http://www.pinnaclewax.com/

Blue Marauder
05-13-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Exec
I've been using Zaino since 1998, I used to use Zymol, Meguiers , Mothers,.. various others. It will be a long cold week in Hell before
I go back to anything else. The stuff rawx.. and smells good too

GarageMahal wait till you get multi coats of Z2 on.... better wear sunglasses.

Zaino on my Bronco Click (http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=3&gid=431202&uid=135439&imgid=4432459)

Zaino on My Firebird Click (http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=3&gid=431202&uid=135439&imgid=1972726)

Zaino on the Z Click (http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=3&gid=431202&uid=135439&imgid=4432351)

If the pics dont load... you may have to refresh the browser.. to get by the REFERER check

Tried it and got this error message:

"Dear PictureTrail Member,

The account you are trying to access is: exec

We're sorry but this account has been phased out from our live servers and is now backed up to our archive servers. It is no longer accessible on the live PictureTrail servers.

You can however restore this account by upgrading it to the paid Premium level. After you upgrade the account, it will automatically be restored to the live PictureTrail servers where it will then be fully accessible to you and your visitors. Please note that every aspect of your account will be fully restored including all images, all customization settings, all guestbook entries, all titles and descriptions, etc.

CLICK HERE to upgrade and restore this account.
You can pay with Credit Card, Money Order, Check or Paypal.

This account was created on: 2001-04-25.
There are 12 images in this account.

This account will remain on our archive servers for only a short time before it is deleted. We encourage you to upgrade as soon as possible before it is permanently deleted from the system.

FYI, notices were sent out by email and posted in the members area before this account was phased out from our live servers. "

ITZAMERC
05-13-2003, 09:48 AM
http://www.fordvschevy.com/tech/waxes.php
has a good summary and also preparation info

SheboyganGuy
05-13-2003, 11:02 AM
Don't forget the inside of the Marauder!! Z-9, the leather spray cleaner, and Z-10 "Leather-in-a-Bottle" conditioner have got to be two of the best leather care products around. Keeps the car smelling leather new!

Marauder57
05-13-2003, 02:26 PM
How is the finish with that Leather stuff? Does it leave the leather so slippery you slide down while driving?

SheboyganGuy
05-13-2003, 02:39 PM
Not at all. It soaks in, no slippery feel, no greasy feel. Doesn't change the color or appearance.