PDA

View Full Version : Possible Transmission Issue?

Eric-Blk2004
03-31-2008, 07:02 AM
Hey guys,

I just picked up my Marauder thsi weekend and put a quick 200 miles on it. The dealercrap disconencted the battery and I have to put 150 on it before I can get it inspected.

The car is a 2004 with 40k miles(just rolled last night).

My question is when I am driving around town cruising at around 10 to 25 mph the car stumbles sometimes. I say sometimes because it isnt all the time or at a set RPM. It feels like a noob shifting a heavy car. The downshifts/upshifts seem stumbly and you defintely feel it way more then a normal Automatic.

But it doesnt do this all the time - which leads me to believe it could be computer related. If it was a physical defect the car would do it all the time with set conditions.

Another reason why I believe it is computer related - when I decided to gun it from say 30 the car roars up until about 5k and then I feel what can only be explaned as fuel cut or pulling out fuel. The car doesnt stumble or buck - the acceleration is dramatically different near the top of the RPM range.

Now this could be normal for a V8 because we lose power at the top of gears(?) but have tons of low end power in the next gear.

I think a chip would fix all this from Rein. but I wanted to ask to make sure.

Thanks(sorry for the long winded post)

CanadaMarauder
03-31-2008, 07:19 AM
Mine had a similar problem it felt like it wouldn't go into 3rd as well and when you stand on it, it would go then at 4000 rpm fade into lose of power...It turned out it was my fuel pump cavitating, so it was replaced under warranty and now no problems since...

Eric-Blk2004
03-31-2008, 08:01 AM
any one else want to chime in?

I was hoping a tune would fix her up...

LordVader
03-31-2008, 08:09 AM
When driving around town upon start up I turn the overdrive off and this seems to address any hunting and pecking by the tranny. From what I have heard the tune will address this situation which I plan on getting this summer.

UncleLar
03-31-2008, 08:10 AM
Damn sure something ain't right,make them fix it before you chip it or they'll sure as heck blame it on the chip.

captain
03-31-2008, 08:20 AM
change the fuel filter before you rev it one more time! the lean fuel will ruin much. The filter from the ford ranger is an upgrade. The stock is perfectly good also. it is under the car behind the right passenger seat, in front of the right rear tire, be super careful pulling the clips. The ones in the box wont fit.
you must re-use the old ones. or sand down the new ones. (narrower) thick ness thing. Takes 15 minutes, Then buy a tune!! This car craves it, needs it, wants it...do not deny her!

magindat
03-31-2008, 08:35 AM
I agree with the fuel filter thing. Cheap and easy insurance before you run 'er again.

Eric-Blk2004
03-31-2008, 09:22 AM
Sweet - time to look to carparts or autozone

Eric-Blk2004
03-31-2008, 11:11 AM
Anyone know what year Ranger? And whats the benefit of a large fuel filter?

RF Overlord
03-31-2008, 11:19 AM
I agree^^^.

If your car has an unknown maintenance history, change the fuel filter and also change the transmission fluid...both should be done every 30,000 miles anyway.

Couple other things:

Don't do any WOT standing starts unless you have at least 1/4 tank of gas. There is an issue with these fuel tanks that causes the fuel to run away from the pickup under those conditions.

Get a can of CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner when you're at the parts store and clean the MAF...that can also cause weird stumbling and driveability issues.

One other thing...it's normal for the transmission to hunt and shift too soon at light throttle...Ford's shift schedule for this car sucks...a tune from any of our excellent vendors here will fix that.

RF Overlord
03-31-2008, 11:23 AM
Anyone know what year Ranger? And whats the benefit of a large fuel filter?You won't need the larger fuel filter unless you do a lot of WOT standing starts (see my reply above), but if you want it, the Motorcraft part # is FG800A. DO NOT BUY A FRAM FUEL FILTER...they have rust-out issues. Ask me how I know...

Raudermaster
03-31-2008, 11:54 AM
Eric don't get a tune yet until you tried what I suggested in the NE section, then determine if you have a tune or not. Do what Rich and Bob suggested though, fuel filter, MAF cleaner, check the plugs while you're at it, one or two could be bad, make sure all the COP connectors are seated properly as well.

Raudermaster
03-31-2008, 11:58 AM
I just realized you said you have a CEL on for an O2 sensor? Try changing that out too. Does it have a warranty on it?

Eric-Blk2004
03-31-2008, 12:01 PM
Yea I am taking it to the stealership tomorrow.

I wont let them take my kooks!

RF Overlord
03-31-2008, 01:21 PM
I just realized you said you have a CEL on for an O2 sensor? Try changing that out too. Don't automatically assume it's a bad sensor. For example, a loose intake tract will allow unmetered air and can set a false lean condition. It's best to find the cause of the code before throwing parts at it...

Eric-Blk2004
03-31-2008, 02:05 PM
I own a firebird.

I throw money at the problem - then parts - then tools - and then I decide to look for the problem...

Raudermaster
03-31-2008, 04:37 PM
Don't automatically assume it's a bad sensor. For example, a loose intake tract will allow unmetered air and can set a false lean condition. It's best to find the cause of the code before throwing parts at it...

That was why I asked if it had a warranty on it since O2's can be costly.

Blackened300a
03-31-2008, 05:15 PM
DO NOT BUY A FRAM FUEL FILTER...they have rust-out issues. Ask me how I know...

Looks like that makes two of us. I had a fram fuel filter and my car took on a slight ping after only 10K miles from the change. I put in a motorcraft FF along with a new PCV valve and it ran perfect again.

Kennyrauder
03-31-2008, 07:43 PM
Just off the topic dear friends. A buddy of mine just bought a 94 Grand Marquis...with 24,000 Miles. Arctic White with red leather interior... real pretty old timer. he picked it up for 5 grand. You can see over time how Ford's bean counters have stripped away alot of goodies . Light package is real nice ... carpet & non leather fabrics too. I wish him well with this #1 car.