PDA

View Full Version : Drag Racing Tips

sailsmen
04-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Drag Racing Tips

This is an address to excellent drag racing tips, written for the novice.

http://www.musclecarclub.com/library/race/drag-racing-tips.shtml

Braket Racing Tips

http://musclecarclub.com/library/race/drag-racing-tips-bracket.shtml

Egon Spengler
04-01-2008, 11:41 AM
i NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THE BURNOUT LIKE THAT... GOOD THING I READ THIS BEFORE HITTING THE TRACK WITH TREADED TIRES!!! LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY!!!

MarauderTJA
04-01-2008, 11:55 AM
i NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THE BURNOUT LIKE THAT... GOOD THING I READ THIS BEFORE HITTING THE TRACK WITH TREADED TIRES!!! LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY!!!

Yeah, those studded snow tires won't be appreciated at the track either:lol:.

Egon Spengler
04-01-2008, 11:59 AM
No studded snow tires... I am back to the stockers

Eric-Blk2004
04-01-2008, 12:01 PM
I need the traction so I run chains...

MarauderTJA
04-01-2008, 12:07 PM
No studded snow tires... I am back to the stockers

I heard a nor-easter is on the way to you with about a foot of snow.....:P

magindat
04-01-2008, 12:07 PM
That should be a must read for every drag racing noob.

MarauderTJA
04-01-2008, 12:17 PM
That should be a must read for every drag racing noob. Good info overall, but there a couple of things I questioned...

Egon Spengler
04-01-2008, 12:23 PM
I heard a nor-easter is on the way to you with about a foot of snow.....:P

not that i'm aware of... 50's and 60' next week... rain maybe

Bobmiddle
04-01-2008, 12:35 PM
This is great info I am hitting the track for the first time in my life on Friday :banana:

MarauderTJA
04-01-2008, 12:35 PM
:jk: Just trying to see if you went and checked the weather report. You never know. I lived in MASS for most of my life and saw snow into April several times. I hated it then and I still hate it now. 2/3 my life with and last 1/3 is why I live in Florida. I'll be up there this summer to the Cape.

not that i'm aware of... 50's and 60' next week... rain maybe

Egon Spengler
04-01-2008, 12:59 PM
:jk: Just trying to see if you went and checked the weather report. You never know. I lived in MASS for most of my life and saw snow into April several times. I hated it then and I still hate it now. 2/3 my life with and last 1/3 is why I live in Florida. I'll be up there this summer to the Cape.

Take the marauder and join us!!

3rdcoastmrauder
04-01-2008, 01:13 PM
glad i read that before linin her up on the track

good call

Eric-Blk2004
04-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Whats the fastest 1/4 in reverse?

Pops
04-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Ask magindat as he is certified onthat one!

SC Cheesehead
04-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Whats the fastest 1/4 in reverse?

I dunno, maybe magindat has the answer.;)

SCCH

Breadfan
04-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Good reads. It's smart for first timers to READ UP before hitting the track. When I was at Capitol a few weeks back there were plenty of first timers making mistakes.

Making mistakes is something you should expect to do. Take your time and learn, and don't worry.

BUT...be smart and read up, and play smart, and this will help you avoid trouble.

You should atleast know what to expect to do in theory when you attend. Know what staging is, and how you should do it in theory. It may feel alot different to do it for real than in your head, but at least know what it is. Yep saw some at Capitol who found that whole idea brand new to them, the track officials helped them out. Again expect to look and feel like a n00b but try to be book smart and take it easy the first time out.

How about some Marauder specific tips?

Like...

- O/D off
- Traction control off if you have it
- Try launching when you see the last yellow bulb light up, Marauders react slower than some cars, start here and work from that point to cut a good light.

And finally best tip for a MM:

- If your car is not black, paint it black before going to the track for the best time.

sailsmen
04-01-2008, 02:52 PM
"Whats the fastest 1/4 in reverse?"

I dunno, maybe magindat has the answer.;)

SCCH

Rich probably has the answer as respects a reverse burn out. Could anyone have imagined he ran a great time and WON!

I did some research and it is the HCIR effect of stored energy. The Torque Converter and the Slicks wind up like a clock spring ready to unwind! For every action there is a reaction.

HCIR has been around since mechanization and stands for Holy Crap I Reversed!

sailsmen
04-01-2008, 03:00 PM
When things start to go wrong w/ your car both feet up and let the car straighten it'self out.

If she won't straighten herself out you may need to make steering adjustments.

Keep in mind if you progressively turn the wheel when she does start to turn you will need to quickly adjust.

I have seen many a car slam into one side of the track and then the other side.

Paul T. Casey
04-01-2008, 03:07 PM
And finally best tip for a MM:

- If your car is not black, paint it black before going to the track for the best time.

Yep. That there is sig. material.

Mest30
04-08-2008, 11:31 AM
How about some Marauder specific tips?

Like...

- O/D off

Why O/D off?