PDA

View Full Version : 255/55/16 Mickey Thompson Drag Radial setup

Breadfan
04-03-2008, 07:42 AM
NOTE: I am looking for local pickup on this item, I will consider shipping if they do not sell local pickup.

So you wanna go racing or you do go racing and are tired of running street tires?

Well, I have made a decision this season that I will be taking a break from the MM drag racing scene. I doubt it will be for good, but I've got so many other things going on I'm gonna take a break for now.

As a result, I have chosen to sell my drag radial setup.

These are 26" tall Mickey Thompson 255/55/16 Drag Radials mounted on 16x7" steel crown victoria (cvpi) rims.

Although not the prettiest setup, it's a good starter setup to get off street radials at the track. And these MT DR's stick surprisingly good!

NOTE: These are 26" tall tires, NOT 28" tall like stock OEM tires. This means it will affect your final drive ratio. In a sense, you will change your rear gear...a 3.55 will act like a 3.90, and a 4.10 will act like close to a 4.56.

I did run these with my 4.10's without any tuning adjustment, and it worked. I can say that making a tune adjustment will be beneficial, and it can be as simple as asking your tuner for a new file...for instance, if you have 4.10s and run these, get a 4.56 race tune file, flash at the track and you will be golden.

I have made only 5-6 passes on these and no John Force burnouts. They have plenty of life left for sure.

If you were to assemble this setup, it would breakdown like this:

2 MT Drag Radials: $160 x 2 = $310
2 CVPI steel rims: $50
Mount/Balance $20
Tire shipping $20
Total new: $400

I will sell this lightly used and ready to run set for [EDIT! PRICE DROP! $200] local pickup. Will consider shipping, but obivously shipping costs are extra. Local pickup is preferred over shipping. No collecting parts or running around to get tires mounted, just bolt 'em on and run. I can arrange to meet you, or bring them to a track event for delivery if I'm going to spectate.

These are currently stored in my folks garage, and previous to that were in their basement, I've kept them stored out of the sun and UV rays.

Bear in mind you should know and understand the risks of racing and buyer is responsible for how these work on their car. This setup has been used by others with good results, but obviously sticky tires will put more strain on your car at the track. Simply put as a buyer you should be aware of what you are buying and what these are used for, and how to properly use them. Simple as that! I had good luck with these the few times I ran them, but consider that my disclaimer. :)

Here's how they look on the car:

http://www.ionicflux.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/normal_DSC02391.jpg

http://www.ionicflux.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/normal_DSC02392.jpg

http://www.ionicflux.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/l_e1a57ef3396dcad612e0ed0beed5 dc9f.jpg

Pics are from the only two events I ran these at, one a test and tune and second 2 runs at the PINKS event at MIR.

red
04-03-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm assuming you're selling MT Street Radials (http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadial) , not MT Drag Radials (http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETDragRadial) as they are actually radial slicks. The MT Street Radials are the same tires I am running, and are great! This is a good setup and a good deal, so I highly recommend it. On 2003 300B's and all 2004's, the smaller rears will cause traction control to be tripped at a low MPH; simply turn it off, and you're good to go (you weren't planning to keep this on at the track, were you? :D). Also, on all Marauders, it will temporarily disable your ABS, as the front and rear decoders are no longer reading values within their thresholds. Again, these are great tires and this is a good deal.

Breadfan
04-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Yes, they may have changed the name I thought when I bought a year or so ago they were called Drag Radials, but yes your first link is them. Hook well at the track!

I did not have any ABS problems actually. I have a 300B with traction control and yes I did turn off TC but as you said that's a given. :) I didn't get any other lights, CEL's or odd behavior regarding the ABS.

I did pull a 60ft just below 1.8 with these and they may have had more, that was with a stock converter.

magindat
04-04-2008, 07:52 AM
ABS would only complain if you rode on them at the sustained speed the ABS didn't like (depending on diameters) for over 13 seconds.

ABS usually won't trip when doing 1/4's and driving at low pit speeds.

Breadfan
04-04-2008, 07:53 AM
ABS would only complain if you rode on them at the sustained speed the ABS didn't like (depending on diameters) for over 13 seconds.

ABS usually won't trip when doing 1/4's and driving at low pit speeds.

Yeah tried not to go over 13 seconds ever on them. :banana2:

But yes I didn't drive to the track with them, I would swap in the pits.

lastdaze04
04-06-2008, 12:01 AM
Oh how I wish you were closer. So much for local pick-up.
Good luck on the sale.:beer:
Rick

Breadfan
04-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Bump...

...I can bring these to BERT'S DINER with me on the 20th and will let 'em go for $275.

I can also get some good pics of them this weekend if you'd like.

Breadfan
04-24-2008, 08:58 AM
Bump, still got 'em. May consider shipping if they don't sell locally, so if interested let me know. Buyer would pay shipping, I will have to weigh them to calculate costs.

High-C
04-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Mike, I want them but I am having some $ dificulties... If they don't go in the next few weeks PM me... I'm right across rte-1 so the swap should be cake.

Breadfan
06-16-2008, 12:57 PM
All, I still have these, and they're still for sale. They're still in the garage!

ctrlraven
06-16-2008, 01:50 PM
Wouldn't have an ABS problem if a new tune with the corrected revs per mile has been updated. When I put mine on all my dash lights lit up. Once I uploaded Zack's drag radial only tune I had no problems with anything besides not getting into the 13.6x range lol.

chader
06-16-2008, 02:23 PM
All, I still have these, and they're still for sale. They're still in the garage!
If you will ship them,I'll take them..If you want to do it with out rims that maybe an option.We can ship ground..I'm in no hurry.Pm me I have other options to make it easier.

Mest30
06-18-2008, 07:07 AM
I'll take them, too, if you want to ship. I see I dont have dibs, but if something falls through, PM me.

Breadfan
06-18-2008, 07:10 AM
I have a pending sale I will update next week if anything changes. Thanks!

Breadfan
07-16-2008, 08:32 AM
These are back up for sale. The previous pending sale did not work out due to shipping costs.

Again, I would prefer local pickup.

I can do shipping, in the US, but again would go for local pickup first.

$275 + shipping

***CAM Special!!***: Come and get 'em (ie. come pick them up) and I'll let them go for $250. (This applies to non-CAM'mers too, if you live in Washington state and wanna drive to my house to pick these up then by all means!)

Mest30
07-17-2008, 10:01 AM
If you dont mind me asking, what were the shipping quotes you got from the potential buyer and where were they going to be shipped?

Breadfan
07-17-2008, 10:03 AM
If you dont mind me asking, what were the shipping quotes you got from the potential buyer and where were they going to be shipped?

They were going to Canada which hurt in the shipping cost department b/c they're large packages. Quotes in the continental US will undoubtedly be less.

Each tire/wheel combo is about 55lbs according to my bathroom scale. (They are on steelies asyou can see in the pics)

Pops
07-17-2008, 10:05 AM
If you ship them without the wheels its not to bad on the shipping, plus no packaging required.

Breadfan
07-17-2008, 10:09 AM
If you ship them without the wheels its not to bad on the shipping, plus no packaging required.

That will cost extra b/c of the hassle of me taking the wheels to be dismounted and paying the cost of that, and then having to take them to the post office.

The way they sit now, they're a ready to bolt on and run package. If seperated, it will cost $30 for the receiver to mount and balance them unless they have access to a balancer or know the right people plus they will have to supply the 16" wheels.

Just another reason they're a great candidate for local pickup. :)

I am willing to have them dismounted but bear in mind the price will change to reflect the extra cost on my part. It is possible for the receiver the cost could be less in the end due to cheaper shipping rates but it may not shave enough off the shipping prices to be worth it once everything else is factored in.

Thanks!

Breadfan
07-21-2008, 07:49 AM
Bump, still got 'em! This thread is getting busy, but they are still for sale. Summer is going to be over soon pick these up and you'll be ready for some quick times comes the fall cool weather! (Um they work fine in summer too, btw!)

Vortech347
07-23-2008, 03:39 PM
These tires stick better than honey in your hair....

I had a set of them on my 550rwhp+ Mustang and on the street they would actually BITE in first gear. Where normal tires keep spining till 4th.

chader
07-23-2008, 05:41 PM
if someone wants to deliver close to Canada,I'd be back in.....lol...its a good deal get on it....

Breadfan
08-06-2008, 10:56 AM
OK they're taking up space and I want to do some other things - $200 will ship, come on local guys fall is coming up cool weather and faster ET's! Make the most of it!

:banana2:

At $200 this is HALF the price of building this same setup from scratch, and they only have 6 passes on them, and in those passes only light burnouts!

Breadfan
08-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Bump for some good tires!

chader
08-13-2008, 07:45 PM
Bump for some good tires!
I'm going to re:address this issue and see if I can find a better shipping rate.I have more time to look now.WHat was your zip code again?

LOWBUCKMM
08-13-2008, 07:55 PM
if you can find out what shipping would be to me (61016) and let me know i ould really like them.

03mmmonroe
08-14-2008, 05:49 AM
You have a PM

Breadfan
08-18-2008, 07:29 PM
All,

Due to alot of things going here in Breadfan-land I simply cannot make it to ship these tires. It's going to be too much to get these packaged and shipped in a reasonable time and expense window. The original ad was for local only and I'm going to revert back to that.

For those a distance away who were interested, I'm sorry. I simply cannot trust shipping these in a "rush" fashion, and with as much going on as I have right now I am concerned I could not reach a shipping depot within a timely manner. Really it's the fact that I don't feel comfortable I can deliver you the goods you wish to buy in a proper manner and I just can't put my name on something like that.

Bottom line is I'm not comfortable in my ability to get these to you safely and in a timely manner therefore I can't do shipping on this item. I am sorry for the inconvenience, but these are local only or I will keep them and use them next season.

Thanks for your understanding