PDA

View Full Version : waxes vs polymers (AGAIN)

MERCMAN
08-15-2003, 09:24 AM
I was doing some thread researching and found something that the newer members might find interesting.
I was at the Dyno-tune in Chicago Ridge and saw some wonderful cars detailed to the max(as was mine)
I used Mcguires Gold, and was proud of the results. I saw Zaino treated cars and I had an impartial judge with me at the time. I asked him to compare, his comments? No visual difference to him, no noticable diffefrence in "slickness"(he did use a cloth}
Now,, here is the rub, I have a black car, live in the mid-west, not as hot as the boys South of the Mason-Dixon line, but still have a few 90 degree days. This url http://www.fordvschevy.com/tech/waxes.php
made me aware of the melting point of carnuba, the most used natural wax in use today. I NEVER even thought about the car being parked in the hot sun all day having an effect on the wax(it melts off)
Now for my.02 worth, Polymers are the way to go for longevity, but I am one of the few who enjoy the weekly wax, the smell of the Mcguires, the feel of the rag gliding over the smooth finish(hmm, I think I am obsessed with this car). But those of you who perfer less time in the garage and more time on the road, go with Zaino, it is every bit as good for shine, and will last much longer in the heat.

Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong :P

Dr Caleb
08-15-2003, 10:03 AM
Excellent link!

I use maguires 3 step on my CV, and Maguires #7, #9 #26 yellow wax on the MM.

I know Carnuba comes off in the sunlight, but I'm of the opinion you have to give the sun a sacrificial layer, or it'll take the paint.

Plus - I like waxing the car on a Saturday morning!

Mikeenh
08-15-2003, 10:25 AM
Tried to attach a list of 40 waxes tested. No go. Anyway Zaino came out # 1.

TAF
08-15-2003, 10:25 AM
Here's one for you that will help prove the positive results from Zaino (I was going to start a thread in the "Storyboard" but it will fit nicely here....)

On my way back from Charlotte on Wednesday, I found my windshield getting a a small downpour of rain. As a RainX user, i rarely need to use the wipers and as I was cruising at 80mph, I knew it would just start to "ride up & off" the windsheild. To my surprise as I watched it...it DIDN'T run, but kept accumulating more and more. So on go the wipers...the result was a layer of smeared, oily substance of some kind. Trapped in the left-lane with a flat-bed truck about 5 car lengths ahead of me...I decide to gun it passed the cars on my right to get over to the right. Little did I know that the truck in front of me had hot, rear-end/transmission fluid POURING out from the rear axel of the tractor. As I make my move to get over, I've got my wipers on full steam and I'm emptying the washer fluid to try and see. Now I'm concerned! Hot, trans fluid ALL over the front of my car. I get to the house in about an hour and a half...start hosing the car down and get me a bucket of Zaino wash going. While I franticly try to wash off the stuff...I call Sal Zaino (he answers as usual) and I tell him what's happening. Sal (very comfortingly says) "Oh no...trans fluid is NASTY stuff". Now I'm in a panic. Sal then says "But Todd...my wash is REALLY good stuff...just get it off with the wash as soon as possible...I think you'll be O.K." Sal stayed on the phone with me while I worked on a particular area on the front...dried it and described to him over the phone what I was seeing.....nothing...no spots...no nothing.

The difference between Zaino and all the others? First of all...I'll put the Zaino products against the others ANYTIME...but...the real difference?

Try getting Mr. Mcguires...or Mr. Mothers...or Mr. Zymol on the phone for 20 minutes in the situation above. Good luck!

Dr Caleb
08-15-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by TAF

Try getting Mr. Mcguires...or Mr. Mothers...or Mr. Zymol on the phone for 20 minutes in the situation above. Good luck!

Zaino sounds like really great stuff. But I have to order it (really lazy, don't want to wait for it to clear customs..yadda yadda) and I already have the Maguires...

And I can't even find Maguires web site...is it just me???

WolfeBros
08-15-2003, 11:24 AM
:bows:
:bows: ZAINO
:bows:

MERCMAN
08-15-2003, 11:31 AM
http://www.meguiars.com/

there it is!!

GarageMahal
08-15-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by mercman
But those of you who perfer less time in the garage and more time on the road, go with Zaino, it is every bit as good for shine, and will last much longer in the heat.

I wish I had all the time I wanted to 'pet' my lovely ...

I found that spending one day a year applying Zaino makes for 12 months of shiny car. This is through both the heat of summer and the salt of winter.

jta

Dr Caleb
08-15-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by mercman
http://www.meguiars.com/

there it is!!

Ahhh ha! I was spelling it "Maguires.." Thanks!

sailsmen
08-15-2003, 02:09 PM
I live in the "Big Easy" 100* summer temps. The Collinite hasn't melted off yet!

TAF
08-16-2003, 06:40 AM
I sent a copy of my post above to Sal Zaino, along with a pic of my car (trying to get him to put a Marauder on his site). Here is the very nice response I got...

Todd,

Great post... :-) Glad I could help..

Your car looks GREAT!!!!!!

I am a word of mouth business and any comments or endorsements would be greatly appreciated.

Glad you like Zaino Polish products. I will always strive to manufacture the best products in the industry.

Sal

TripleTransAm
08-16-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by TAF
Here is the very nice response I got...

Did you mention specifically getting your Marauder on the site? If so, that's the typical Sal reply... vague (do take into consideration I have not spoken to him verbally).

A few years ago, I sent him an email asking him for details on why I should change from Mothers to Zaino polishes on my GTA (essentially, I openly asked him to do a sales job right then and there). Very vague "Zaino is the best" response, even after I replied asking for more concrete details (you know, for example "we tested the polymers and found they resisted chemical damage far better than waxes, the cross-linking does this better than waxes, blah blah blah") in other words, anything other than marketing hype. Same reply. Unfortunately, the kind of reply that has riled a few members of this board in recent weeks regarding some other products.

I gotta admit, the shine is great on Zaino. There is a difference between what I'm used to with Mothers and what I've seen with Zaino, I was so curious about the results on the Marauder that I went ahead and tried it on something I was familiar with: my GTA.

The Zaino shine appears to be a colder one. Best way to describe it: a cold steel reflection. Very blue, very cold. Photographers will know what I mean. Mothers has more of a warm glow to it. My cars always look gooey with Mothers on it, kind of like the black is just liquified and organic. Almost makes the paint look thicker and the edges rounder. The Zaino seems to accentuate the flat surfaces.

The only issue I still have is resistance to elements, such as bird droppings. My decision to switch the GTA to Zaino was based on the car being reduced to occasional nice weather only driving. My MM will suffer all the elements. Bird droppings were able to etch the paint within hours with Zaino on it... there was no apparent damage on my WS6's finish after several weeks on the old coat of Mothers.

The experiment continues, my findings may change, but that's what I've been noticing so far.

jgc61sr2002
08-16-2003, 04:42 PM
I tried them all and I like Zaino the best. Deep and long lasting shine.:up:

Agent M79
09-27-2003, 05:34 PM
I just did the Zaino thing today and I am extremely happy with the results. Spectacular and well beyond "showroom".

uwsacf
09-27-2003, 07:58 PM
You can still do the weekly detail with Zaino Z6 Gloss enhancer....

of course, if you are anal like I am - you can do it every day too!!!

403 coats and counting....

If you use Zaino - each coat builds up... deeper and deeper

If you use a carnuba wax - the new coat removes the old coat - so you are always only ONE coat thick...!

sailsmen
09-27-2003, 09:45 PM
"If the wax has no abrasives, it can be layered for extra protection and shine/depth. "

It has been 7 weeks with a weekly hand wash and a daily driver. There is very little wax left, time to wax it.

Does the Zaino last longer?

Hack Goby
09-28-2003, 06:31 AM
Mothers 3 step works for me with carnuba re-waxes once a month but also I will go the local car wash if the car is dusty set the wand on wax (Iwas told that carwash wax is a polymer) then hand dry to a shine.Works for me and my car is 18 months old and lives outdoors 24-7 So even though I am mixing wax and polymer staying on top of things is the trick.