PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Trans Cooler Available

Glenn
04-04-2008, 07:55 PM
All:

Need the Net's help to spec out the biggest MM trans cooler being sold. I now have the largest B&W cooler and it isn't worth much on the strip or track. I am looking for a real honest to goodness trans cooler that can handle repeated strip or track running. Nothing on the market I know of can handle real track conditions. Need some help.

Since I have been shut-out of the FFW at Commerce, I have scheduled The YearOne Experience in May at Road Atlanta and I need a GOOD trans cooler to run the track. I was bumping the rears of several Rousch 427R Mustangs last year and overheated the MM. Any advise out there!!

Thanks,

Glenn :burnout:

sailsmen
04-04-2008, 08:25 PM
I mounted a small trans cooler behind the grill, good air flow and away from the radiator.

I removed the OEM Tans/Power Steering Cooler cutting off the PS Cooler and mounting it on the front sway bar.

This improved air flow over the radiator.

I put 75K miles and 176 runs down the track, many 6-12 hot runs back to back.

Opened the trans up and it was a ok.

It's not the size that matters but the air flow.

Icarus
04-05-2008, 03:14 AM
Long (a subsidiary of Dana Corp.) makes a Tru-Cool Max LPD cooler (#4739) thats 40k GVW/45k BTU. I've run these on a couple cars now. You won't cool it any better than this, imho :)

O's Fan Rich
04-05-2008, 05:30 AM
All:

Need the Net's help to spec out the biggest MM trans cooler being sold. I now have the largest B&W cooler and it isn't worth much on the strip or track. I am looking for a real honest to goodness trans cooler that can handle repeated strip or track running. Nothing on the market I know of can handle real track conditions. Need some help.

Since I have been shut-out of the FFW at Commerce, I have scheduled The YearOne Experience in May at Road Atlanta and I need a GOOD trans cooler to run the track. I was bumping the rears of several Rousch 427R Mustangs last year and overheated the MM. Any advise out there!!

Thanks,

The Bradshaw Brothers use the cooler from a 99 Super Duty.

fastblackmerc
04-05-2008, 07:30 AM

Using braided lines to connect it all.

Glenn
04-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks, I am going to look into the Long cooler at 45,000 BTU. Anyone know the BTU's of the 1999 Super Duty cooler?? Any cooler bigger then 45K that people know??

O's Fan Rich
04-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Thanks, I am going to look into the Long cooler at 45,000 BTU. Anyone know the BTU's of the 1999 Super Duty cooler?? Any cooler bigger then 45K that people know??

With a name like Long, you can't go wrong!

Long IS cooler!

sailsmen
04-05-2008, 08:48 AM
When choosing a mounting location keep in mind how it may affect your radiator.

Engine is more expensive than trans.

MarauderTJA
04-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Glenn, I have the B&N cooler with larger fan. Still use the stock one with it and have it mounted up front to the right side of the radiator with braided lines. It has the built in thermostat and I have only heard the fan kick in once. And that was when I was running the True Street NMRA event with 3 back to back runs and lined up in staging for 20 minutes. Has worked great for me..

bigmerc'03
04-05-2008, 11:38 AM
thie one i have and they put it on temps are always under 180 or at that

Todd
04-05-2008, 12:31 PM
I have the big silver cooler Dennis Reinhart sells. Dont know the maker. But it is probably on his site.

The hottest I have ever seen the temp is just over 150. I have a autometer gauge in the pan and the scangaugeII reading the factory sensor inside the tranny. Both confirm my temps.

Joe Walsh
04-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Glenn, I have the B&M cooler with larger fan. Still use the stock one with it and have it mounted up from to the right side of the radiator with braided lines. It has the built in thermostat and I have only heard the fan kick in once. And that was when I was running the True Street NMRA event with 3 back to back runs and lined up in staging for 20 minutes. Has worked great for me..

^^^^^^^^^^^ +2 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've also got the B&M cooler with the thermostatically controlled fan and it is installed in-line after the OEM cooler.
I mounted it right behind the passenger's side grille, where the OEM horns used to be. (I lowered the OEM horns below the structural cross brace.)

I've NEVER seen mine go above 185 degrees, even when hot lapping it at the drag strip in the summertime.

Icarus
04-06-2008, 03:11 AM
The '99 SD cooler is ~28k GVW I believe.

There is some bigger ones here, but I don't think you'd find the room to put them:
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=Allisoncooler

Are you running a finned aluminum pan? It should help too...

Glenn
04-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Icarus & All:

Thanks again for all your help. The Long cooler seems like the best choice. I'm going to take a close look at it.

I do have a finned aluminum extra capacity trans pan.

MarauderTJA
04-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Icarus & All:

Thanks again for all your help. The Long cooler seems like the best choice. I'm going to take a close look at it.

I do have a finned aluminum extra capacity trans pan.

I do as well. Extra tranny oil is a good thing.

Icarus
04-07-2008, 01:37 AM
If you have the room, you could always leave the one you have in and run the Long cooler in addition to it...

Embassy
04-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Glenn, I have the B&N cooler with larger fan. Still use the stock one with it and have it mounted up front to the right side of the radiator with braided lines. It has the built in thermostat and I have only heard the fan kick in once. And that was when I was running the True Street NMRA event with 3 back to back runs and lined up in staging for 20 minutes. Has worked great for me..

What is the part # for this trans cooler?

Thanks.

Mike Poore
04-10-2008, 12:48 PM
How about this PUPPY?

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/ford/0708dp_2002_ford_super_duty_f2 50/photo_02.html

It may be the same one Rich is talking about. :)