PDA

View Full Version : DR vs. AA THE TRUTH

NeubauerL56
04-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Hey everybody... I'v been a regular to this website since I bought my Marauder almost a year ago now, however this is my fist post. I am about to buy a tune and am very excited. My problem is I CAN't decide if i want to go with the tune by Lidio or the one by DR. Now i know I'v read a few threads on this topic but it seems to be a sensitive subject beacause both are well respected and no one wants to offend anyone. I would like some non sugar coated responses detailing the differences between the two.

Thanks alot

rayjay
04-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Hey everybody... I'v been a regular to this website since I bought my Marauder almost a year ago now, however this is my fist post. I am about to buy a tune and am very excited. My problem is I CAN't decide if i want to go with the tune by Lidio or the one by DR. Now i know I'v read a few threads on this topic but it seems to be a sensitive subject beacause both are well respected and no one wants to offend anyone. I would like some non sugar coated responses detailing the differences between the two.

Thanks alot

FWIW, I bought a chip from Lidio. When I had the car dyno tuned, it was making no gains over stock before it was custom tuned.

Blackmobile
04-10-2008, 05:51 PM

Thanks alot

Ever since I put a DR tune on my MM, I can't seem to keep rear tires on the car. They keep melting off.

KillJoy
04-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Do a search by MY name.

You WILL find opinions.....

KillJoy

CanadaMarauder
04-10-2008, 05:52 PM
I hear the Lidio does an Awesome tune for daily driving with great power gains. I have DR tune which i prefer due to harder (feels like racing) shift points at WOT...before you flame I know it's an adjustable parameter. Just my .02

MM2004
04-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Lidio and Dennis are both well respected tuners, and each one provides a very safe tune for our MM's.

Slight differences? Maybe. But nonetheless, they are both very safe.

That's the most important.

I have experienced both Lidio's and Dennis' tunes.

Matter of preference.

Mike.

sailsmen
04-10-2008, 06:00 PM
I would ask what the charge if any to make a change and if the changes are available by email.

It's like asking whats better strip or ribeye.

J D
04-10-2008, 06:44 PM
I hear the Lidio does an Awesome tune for daily driving with great power gains. I have DR tune which i prefer due to harder (feels like racing) shift points at WOT...before you flame I know it's an adjustable parameter. Just my .02

Yeah, that's the same feeling I gleaned from the various thread, and I'm leaning towards Lidio myself especially since he has a write up (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13722) of his goals and accomplishments in his tune.

Graphs:

http://www.alternativeauto.com/images/marauder-tune-dyno01.jpg
http://www.alternativeauto.com/images/marauder-tune-dyno02.jpg
http://www.alternativeauto.com/images/marauder-tune-dyno03.jpg

anyone got some Reinhart graphs?

I would ask what the charge if any to make a change and if the changes are available by email.

It's like asking whats better strip or ribeye.

Ok, I'd prefer a strip, so who do I go with? :rolleyes:
*damn this got myself thinking of Omaha Steaks*

merc
04-10-2008, 07:37 PM
The truth is it doesn't matter. If you keep the car for a few years and add power adders to the car you will change tunes several times. I currently have 2 chips, 2 hand held tuners, and 5 custom tunes. Flip a coin.:twocents:

ts-pa
04-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Give each one a call with your goals and questions, this may help you decide.

bigbillybbs
04-10-2008, 07:50 PM
I have DR and i love the tune shifts hard.. Performs great!!!!!!!!!! awsome modd

Lowndex
04-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Find a local performance tune shop and skip both of them. The reason for this advice is simple. There are unique tunes for your Marauder depending on gears, air intake, exhaust, drive shaft, super charged, turbo, nitrous, etc.. So, find a recommended performance shop and prepare for your new illness: MORE POWER costs MORE MONEY. And you can never have enough power.

Be sure you tell the performance tune shop not to set parameters to an extreme and stress your baby (see Lido's article on proper tuning).
:beer:

P.S.: I have used both Lido and RA's tunes. I currently have RA and still have issues. I have an appointment on 4/12 with a local, well recommended tune shop. More to follow.

dohc324ci
04-10-2008, 09:05 PM
I went with Lidio after reading many, many threads and post on this topic. I chose Lidio's tune in the end because mine is primarily a daily driver. DR tune is more aggresive and shifts are firmer based on what others have stated. As other have said pick up the phone give both a call and go from there. Either way you wont regret it; the tune makes a world of difference in the shift points and accelaration.

If you go to a local performance shop make sure they are experienced with the Ford modular motor.

sailsmen
04-10-2008, 09:12 PM
DR and Lidio have tuned more MM then all the other shops combined!

ctrlraven
04-10-2008, 09:25 PM
I started out with a DR tune, moved to a custom tune another member shared with me, back to DR after installing my 3500 stall torque converter and now I have a Zack tune.

Both know their stuff about the car so either way you will be happy especially if your car is basically stock to start with.

ckadiddle
04-11-2008, 06:27 AM
DR and Lidio have tuned more MM then all the other shops combined!
I trust Dennis and Lidio to provide SAFE tunes that I can run for the life of the car, flooring the accelerator whenever I get open road, without harming the stock parts in the engine or tranny.

I can tell you that my wife wants her new Marauder to "run just like yours". Tune is first on my list for her MM. I chose DR because he is geographically closer to me. No other reason.

Flip a coin, eemie meenie mynie moe, whatever, just don't stay stock. If you never do another mod (Ha, Ha!) please get a tune from either Dennis or Lidio. I still kick myself for waiting a year to buy my tune.

Hotrauder
04-11-2008, 06:46 AM
The tune is not only a performance consideration but hopefully an insurance policy against problems or a blown engine. I would do a lot of research on experience with our engines, past history of problems, follow up in the event of problems and general business reputation before I let any tuner touch my car. Good luck to you. The choice won't be hard to make if you do the homework. Dennis.

RF Overlord
04-11-2008, 07:58 AM
If you go to a local performance shop make sure they are experienced with the Ford modular motor.^^^Sound advice, that.^^^

Although Dennis and Lidio have more experience with the Marauder than ANYONE else and are the top choices, Jacksonville FL and Detroit are not exactly central locations for many people. If you use a local tuner for convenience, do your homework. Lots of people claim to be whiz-bang Mustang tuners, but the Marauder is a different beast and most tuners have little or no experience with it.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
04-11-2008, 08:07 AM
You can't get a non sugar coated response on this board. If something is offensive to a vendor, true or not, it will get deleted.

That said, I run a DR tune. I had him back the shift firmness way down from his box stock tune because it shifted so hard I was afraid it would break the dreivetrain. The car also became dangerous to drive in the rain, because it would spin the wheels during shifts even driving normally at part throttle. After I had him change the shift firmness to ramp up much slower, but still to a firm WOT shift, the shift schedule feels very good.

Remember guys, with a mid 14 second car, crash bang shifts are not going to make you faster (just look silly as someone faster passes you and you are still chirping the tires) LOL

I would not hesitate to use Dennis' tune again, just talk to him up front about the shift firmness issue (unless you want crash bang shifts on a relatively slow car)

Dennis Reinhart
04-11-2008, 08:51 AM

Thanks alot

This is not fair to Lidio or any SCT/Diablo dealer. Lidio has a impeccable reputation, I have my customers he has his, you the customer must do your own research and go with your own decision, when you ask for others to help with your decision it compares known good vendors to each other and it 90% of the time will go off track, call Lidio call me, or Scott Beer and make your decision.

rayjay
04-12-2008, 08:21 PM
You can't get a non sugar coated response on this board. If something is offensive to a vendor, true or not, it will get deleted.

I dunno, read reply #1 on this thread.

Taemian
04-13-2008, 09:37 AM

+1 to his opinion.

I had DR flash a chip for my CVPI, very harsh (for me) but had maximal power gains for the car. Bought an XCal from AA for my MM, much nicer for day-to-day driving, has great improvement over stock.

Personally, I'm staying with AA tunes as I don't want a balls-out racer, I want a daily driver with some kick. My upcoming Trilogy should help me with that!:)

Paul T. Casey
04-13-2008, 10:53 AM
The truth is it doesn't matter. If you keep the car for a few years and add power adders to the car you will change tunes several times. I currently have 2 chips, 2 hand held tuners, and 5 custom tunes. Flip a coin.:twocents:

Yep. Don't sell Scott Beers (Diablo) short either. Personally,I'd say get a "flip chip" and get several different dyno tunes put on it. I have 3 in my car now.

Illss
04-25-2008, 11:18 AM
I had the DR tune and it was fine with no issues and with the shifts i still had no problem in the rain or snow with it maxed via tuner at 25% .... eitherway theres always someone with something negative about the other guy so really at the end the choice is yours and you cannot go wrong with either IMO.

safado
04-26-2008, 09:24 PM
+2 who ever is closest to you... and that has Ford knowledge...

bigmerc'03
04-27-2008, 04:04 PM
i would go with lidio you will probly get it faster too........

MarauderMark
04-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Just go ennei meannie miney moe .pita thread.

Bradley G
04-28-2008, 03:54 AM
And Lidio will tell you his tune does not boast significant HP gains.
Your experience with gaining no hp or tq from Lidios' tune is not the norm.
I had a DR tune, the no throttle (hard)shifts were not to my liking.

FWIW, I bought a chip from Lidio. When I had the car dyno tuned, it was making no gains over stock before it was custom tuned.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
04-28-2008, 05:30 AM
DR was easily able to make the shift firmness ramp up so the part throttle shifts did not bang, after I called him. It sounds like none of you guys who complain about his shifts ever called him to talk about it. Yikes

ckadiddle
04-28-2008, 06:49 AM
DR was easily able to make the shift firmness ramp up so the part throttle shifts did not bang, after I called him. It sounds like none of you guys who complain about his shifts ever called him to talk about it. Yikes
My wife LIKES IT HARD!!!!:banana2:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Seriously, she loves the DR tune with the firm shifting.

You can adjust the shift pressure youself with your xcal2. It was a real hoot when we test drove her new MM watching her anticipate the DR firm shifts she was used to in a car with a stock factory tune.

MarauderMark
04-28-2008, 02:09 PM
I had a DR tune, the no throttle (hard)shifts were not to my liking.

I like em when under wot 2nd gear smokes for about 10 feet.make em look :eek:

Aren Jay
05-04-2008, 08:50 PM
The title of this thread is not very good but the information in it is really helpful.
Plus that of several PM's.

The problem when buying a tune is who to buy from.

Yes there are 4 or 5 official choices and a number of others as well.

What I find helpful and in a conversation about these tunes over the weekend with a friend, I have come to a descision which tune I will be buying.

IE: which tune suits my driving style.

Now all I need is some money.

So are these tunes considered "Secret Formula's"?