PDA

View Full Version : Stop me before I drive again! (2)

SergntMac
08-16-2003, 10:39 AM
Police...Whew! Ouch, are my eyes bleeding?

3 cars, and a helicopter overhead. Damm, my eyes hurt. The white F150 is almost a neighborhood watch type, but worse. He's a business owner who suspicious enough to leave the safety of his home to check on his landscaping business, because he's always missing something from the storage yard, and what does he find? Me, parked in his driveway, and he just knew I was ripping him off, cop or not.

Since there was no sod in my trunk, the cops apologize, I apologize, and almost everyone is happy. They took the business owner off to the side to explain priorities in a state of emergency while I made my way to the hotel, which was only one block ahead. This kind of darkness is frightening, and everyone is in survival mode.

I meet up with Kenny as Brad arrives, and after a half hour of discussing the many issues and rumors that are floating around, I decide the best thing for me to do is get out his hair.

Kenny has employees and family members to worry about, not to mention maybe a million dollars in rolling inventory out there somewhere in the dark. He doesn't need me on his list, so, we agree that I'll back track my path on I-94 until I see lights, and let him know where that is. His crew is not not on I-94, but knowing where the power is up may be helpful as an option for him. Kenny's not ready to wonder if the Cruise may be cancelled, and I don't blame him. This is a major event for him, and the power could come back at any moment. If I were him, I'd dig in, collect everyone together and wait. Move the platoon from there if necessary. Wishing them well, I'm back on the road out of Detroit metro, with a promise to Kenny to return in the AM and participate in the Cruise as I promised. Sadly, I had no idea what was waiting for me on the return trip.

My ODO says my last contact with normal was 55 miles back, and that's my target. I'll go back there, get a room, and call Kenny in the AM. Ann Arbor is black, keep going. An hour later, I'm back at my truck stop, and it's traffic mayhem as you may expect. The power is on and they are pumping gas. The stores and food shops are empty, but fully stocked, so, the run is on gasoline, nothing more. It's not panic at large, just a lot of people out of gas.

The lines begin in the drive ways where large men allow one car at a time to the pumps. Everyone seems in agreement, as long as they get their turn. But, the line is backing up behind me, running down the street, over the overpass and back down the exit ramp. I arrived just ahead of the rush, those following me were starting to show impatience as I top off my tank. I think the guy with the pick up truck full of gas cans started that, as I was leaving, the large men were telling him he better go. Bye.

Back on I-94 towards Jackson, where all the gas stations were busy, but not busy enough for large men to be directing traffic. Good, I need to relax a bit, I've been choking my streeing like the Boston Strangler, it fits my hand now. It's 2:30 AM on my clock, and time to get some rest. Since I left right after work Thursday afternoon, I've been up close to 24 hours, and under lots of stress the past 4. Sleep would be nice, and it will come to point that I won't control it anymore.

No rooms. All 8 maybe 10 hotels booked solid, and by the look of things, occupied by race teams headed into to Detroit, who got the word and pulled over before reaching their destinations. People sleeping in cars too, I'm back on I-94 again. Next up, Battle Creek, and it's more of the same. Kalamazoo is just up the road, but that's my half way home point too.

Just as I consider getting a room in Kalamazoo, I get a check engine light. Lord, why me? I stop, check everything I can, and start to tell my confused self my gas cap was loose. I don't really know if this is true or not, the car seems to be running fine, so, what now? I'm living on nervous energy, I'm wide awake, but I also know I'm going to crash once my survival mode backs off. Should I stay, or make the run home. I won't be able to go back to Detroit for the Cruise, no matter what, but I'll explain this to Kenny another time, I am sure he will understand. If I had someone with me, I wouldn't risk it. But, it's me and my car, and it's time to get home, this event is a bust.

4 AM, I'm 24 hours non-stop now as I park in my own garage. My survival mode is relaxing while I sip a cocktail as encouragement, and sleep another 12 hours.

And I'm planning to drive to Ennis...Someone just shoot me, K?

I'm so disappointed this busted out, I was looking forward to this event like you won't believe. Snit happens I suppose, have to deal with it on that level. I am also sorry about disappointing Kenny Brown, they have been real accomodating to me since I bought this car, and I hope I haven't spoiled that. I made the best decisions I could, no sense in tearing that apart too...We'll see.

MM03MOK
08-16-2003, 11:02 AM
Almost as good as hearing it from you first hand! Glad you made it home safely. Now start working on The Road to Marauderville Survival Kit.
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/b/coolgleam.gif

jefferson-mo
08-16-2003, 11:55 AM
Glad you're OK Sarge.............:up:

Hopefully you'll get something in Ennis from me to take home:D

Dave Compson
08-16-2003, 05:56 PM
Compeling story. I can only imagine what you were thinking when the power went out. People act really strange when panic starts to set in.

Thats why i still carry off duty. So, im still paranoid.

Glad you are safe.

Merc-O-matic
08-16-2003, 05:59 PM
Thank the GOOD LORD you made it home safe and sound.
There is always next year....
You gotta love!

chapel1
08-18-2003, 06:55 PM
Mac,My folks live in Parma Mi.just alittle west of Jackson.And they would have had plenty of room for you?In fact our family homesteded that area,the name Chapel is well known and respected in that town.Even thou I'm a So. Side Chicago guy being a Chapel puts me in good company in Parma Mi!Everone knows everone andwere you live and will point you to the right direction.

DetGeno
08-18-2003, 11:16 PM
Sarge next year contact me before the cruise. and I'll give you my contact number to let you know all the 411. I live right off 13 Mile and Woodward in Royal Oak which is the center of Woodward dream cruise. I would of had you crash at my place last weekend and got you some free gas. I Know many gas station owners around here for being in law enforcement. They would of helped out like they did for me! Just glad you made it home in one piece! Dave C., I was right on top of that when the lights went out. Freaks comes out at night and on Woodward there were B&E all over the radios! But we've all made it through. See you all next year!

Bigdogjim
08-18-2003, 11:49 PM
Great read! The master! People sure don't know what to do when life throws a curve!
We'll do Marauderville in the daylight.(lol)
Sorry you mised the big show.
But like my local baseball team.......There's always next year!

2003_MM_FYRE49
08-19-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Bigdogjim
But like my local baseball team.......There's always next year!

Whew, had to look, i thought for a second that you were a Cubs fan from Chicago ...BAWAAAAAAAAA :D :P

Tim :fire: 49